1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help buying a used 2010

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pumpandmunch, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    pumpandmunch

pumpandmunch [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hopefull of a 2011 v6
    I am looking at purchasing a 2011 new, but I saw a used 2010 4x4, 4.0 engine with a super chip, access cab that caught my eye. It has 1,200 miles on it. It is a TRD Sport with Tow Package. It was modded by LeRoys with a leveling kit, tonneau cover, and aftermarket rims.

I do not know anything about modding trucks or Tacomas as this will be my first. What questions should I ask the buyer? What considerations should I make when going to test drive? Are there safety concerns here with a leveled truck?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Mar 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    See if it was leveled with a spacer lift or springs / shocks. If it was leveled with a spacer lift, inspect the bottoms of the shocks where they connect to the lower control arms. Depending on how much lift they got out of a spacer, if it was wheeled hard / irresponsibly, or driven hard off road and bottomed out, there could be damage to the shocks. It's fairly unlikely, but I'd still check it out.

Make sure it goes into and out of 4x4 reliably, on a truck with low miles I can't imagine that there would be a problem.

3. Mar 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Why is he selling it so soon? That would be my biggest concern. And I personally don't buy used lifted trucks. To me it tells me it's been wheeled and if I don't know how the guy drives I wouldn't touch it.

4. Mar 3, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    pumpandmunch

pumpandmunch [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    hopefull of a 2011 v6
    ^^ he said that his g/f moved out and now he can't afford a truck payment and the house payment.

I am not very familiar with lifts or shocks. Based on what you guys are saying, I think that I would be in over my head in assessing whether or not he abused the truck. I think I am going to pass on this one and let someone else buy it.

5. Mar 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    1,200 miles is not a lot but I get pretty suspicious when people get rid of vehicles that they barely owned. Depending on the price, it could turn out to be a good deal but price of new vs barely used could be the same if not more. In 2009, I bought my new truck cheaper than it was worth used.

6. Mar 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Sighless

Sighless Well-Known Member

Member:
    TORONTO
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5
    when did superchips start making chips for the tacoma?

7. Mar 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I would check under the vehicle very carefully. And many dealers will give you info. to talk to the previous owner.

Super chip in a Tacoma ... :confused:

8. Mar 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Sighless

Sighless Well-Known Member

Member:
    TORONTO
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5
    superchips does do something, but most benefits are seen on v8's.. i had one on my hemi and i loved it.. not only did it improve the "seat of the pants" feeling when you need to push the throttle, it also gave me great mileage out of my hemi.

Products Discussed in

To Top