1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

noob buying advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rosqeaux, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    rosqeaux

rosqeaux [OP] Badjes?

Member:
    yes, I'm sure I'm about the 5 millionth person to post on this topic, but I'll try to be a focused as possible in what I'm looking for. I've been perusing the forums a bit and you all seem like a helpful bunch, so here goes....

I've been driving a subaru outback for the last 10 years or so and have decided to step up to a 4wd truck. I plan to do a decent amount of off road driving. Nothing insane, no racing or rock crawling, but definitely using it on dicey roads, sand, etc (SW deserts and mountains) that my subie just can't handle. I also plan to do some light hauling (mostly lumber to feed my sawdust habit), but no towing. I'd also like to use it for family trips (wife+1kid), so a double cab seems necessary. Happily I don't need it for long commute trips.

So I'm focusing on a new 4wd tacoma short bed double cab. I've been driving manual trans my whole life, but I'd probably go with an auto since 1) I'm getting old, 2) the wife doesn't drive manuals and 3) the 6sp manual on the tacoma seems to get a lot of flack.

If I'm not mistaken the double cab only comes with a V6, correct? I could deal with the 4, but it doesn't sound like an option with a double cab.

Besides any thoughts on the above, I'd really like some advice on options/packages. Is the off-road package worth it? Does the off road suspension and bilstein shocks really make a difference or would I be better off just getting a base model and upgrading the tires? The off road package also has a locking rear diff. How beneficial would that be or is the traction control capable enough to cover most situations?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mar 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    Welcome from Ohio.

Although you will get some great opinions from members with your thread, you can also go to the 2nd generation Tacoma section of the forum list and search the specific topic of interest.

I know there have been recent threads on "off-road or sport?"

That way, you can get a large range of opinions and decide what options will fit your needs.

Good luck finding the right truck for you ;)

3. Mar 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    The 6-speed does get a lot of flack on this site, but as a 6-spd owner, I love it. It's all up to you. If you're doing a lot of off-roading, an auto might be a better choice for ya. Me, I can't stand driving auto's so manual is the only choice, and honestly the 6-spd is great.

If you're looking for a double-cab, the V6 is your only engine choice.

As far as options go... Maybe go to the Toyota.com site, and build the Toyota you want. That's what I did, and I found it very helpful. Basically a TRD off-road edition has a locker and entirely too much chrome. The TRD Sport has a LSD, no chrome and a cool-looking non-functional hood scoop. So, your choice...

4. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    X runner sells extremely well and only comes with the 6. Never heard any complaints but I don't read the xrunner page, But if you're looking at double cab. Good luck. If they make a 6 speed, its not available with all packages and pretty rare on those it can to boot.

I love the 6 speed. I have not read a legitimate complaint about the operation of it other than very strange people's affectations. There have been some clutch failures, but there's always clutch failures. There are a lot of automatic problems as well, but have not seen any threads on either transmission failing all together.

5. Mar 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    You're definitely going to have to separate out the advice from us "light" offroaders and those that are hardcore. I've done a lot of "light" offroading even in my SR5 DC LB. I have a mechanical LSD but no locker. However, I've never needed the locker for the stuff I do, and realize EVERY model Tacoma now has an electronic LSD as standard equipment. I think your biggest decision will be between the SR5 and TRD model, seat comfort, and bed length. Also, keep in mind that if you're going to be offroading on roads with a lot of brush along the sides, then I would recommend staying away from the TRD Sport because it has color-matched side mirrors. My unpainted ones are scratched to hell from all the forest roads I travel, and I can't imagine how bad they would look if they had been painted!

6. Mar 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    The 4cyl Double Cabs are a new option for 2011 but they only come in automatic.

Not sure how much the price difference is between 4 and 6 cyl but I'd opt for the 6 if you can afford it.

As far as the 6spd vs auto, basically your own preferrence. I used to own the 6spd, I've had issues with it less than 30K miles. Now I have an auto, mainly because I needed a longer bed. I also didn't want to drop my tranny on the 6spd to put a sleeve on it and a better clutch.

7. Mar 4, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    Sighless

Sighless Well-Known Member

Member:
    TORONTO
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5
    get a v8.
    the mileage is pretty close, and the power is always there.

honestly, im not knocking any manufacturer out there, and i have to say im very dis-satisifed with my tacoma. but truthfully, go and test drive everything you can..

you make like some of them, and you may not, but either way when you make your purchase your going to like the vehicle that much more knowing what you have and what you dont have,

Products Discussed in

To Top