Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What's the deal with this?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
zuckdan is on a distinguished road
zuckdan's Tacoma Gallery
What's the deal with this?

Been enjoying my 2011 DCMT for about a month. Noticed these a couple weeks ago. Passenger front wheel well has little vents cut into engine compartment. Drivers wheel well is just normal smooth plastic. Anyone know if all 2nd gen have this and what its for?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 has it.. Not sure why.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
Because the engine air intake pulls air from the passenger side wheel well
Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My friends and I speculate that, being as the intake draws air from that fender, its to keep a high pressure area in that fender, useing the spinning tire. I dont have the means to actually test this however.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The vents mean your truck is going to blow up.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
turbo ventilation. gives you the added effect of a turbo even though you really don't have one.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
nrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shednrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
nrm's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure it's just to be for "improved airflow" to the intake, since it's on that side right above the vent.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Mine had them on both sides.

+++234HP YO!!!

jk
Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Banned
toothaker1219 is on a distinguished road
toothaker1219's Tacoma Gallery
As Chris said, Due to the spinning of the tire, it creates a "high pressure" channel of air that goes through the vents and gives cooler, cleaner air for the air intake. Also the air come from underneath the bumper.. Only way to really tell how much its doing is to set up an air velocity meter to the fender and calculate how much air is being driven through the vents and actually leading up into the fender.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The vents are used to cool the flux capacitor using the spinning tire. If you come to a stop, it will overheat and the truck will self destruct.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
chugchug is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
chugchug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
My friends and I speculate that, being as the intake draws air from that fender, its to keep a high pressure area in that fender, useing the spinning tire. I dont have the means to actually test this however.

Well chris when you come to Frederick MD. to help me lift my truck you can stand on my steps and hold on tight real tight and put your other hand near the tire to feel the air flow if there is any. lol
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugchug View Post
Well chris when you come to Frederick MD. to help me lift my truck you can stand on my steps and hold on tight real tight and put your other hand near the tire to feel the air flow if there is any. lol
I......Im not sure I want to go that far....
Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
chugchug is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
chugchug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I......Im not sure I want to go that far....

As you wish just trying to help. Well really i just wanted help with the lift we can just you did it.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
It is an additional vent for engine intake. The so-called CAI.
However the spinning tire does not create any noticable "high pressure area" in the fender well.
If you look at the the posted picture, you can actually see light through the vents. The inner fender well is open on the lower front for additional air flow. Most intakes draw air from an indirect stream. Yes, you want cool, high pressure air. No, you do not want a direct "ram" air stream. As this can carry a lot of dirt and debris with it. So by allowing the air to flow through and pulling the intake off that stream you get the cooler air without the heavier debris.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
This missing plastic on the passenger side is the obvious cause for the infamous " Taco lean "
Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
weight savings....better handling