LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Oil Change at 5,000 Miles?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
So the factory oil filter is good for 10,000 miles?
I have no doubt that full syn. oil can stand up to that long, but I would have to question the oil filter.
Most have a bypass built in to allow oil to circulate if they become plugged up or too restrictive. If it bypasses all the bad stuff gets to go round and round

I will send up the CHRIS 4X4 signal, hopefully he is not involved with the American Idol reruns!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
I have no doubt that full syn. oil can stand up to that long, but I would have to question the oil filter.
Most have a bypass built in to allow oil to circulate if they become plugged up or too restrictive. If it bypasses all the bad stuff gets to go round and round

I will send up the CHRIS 4X4 signal, hopefully he is not involved with the American Idol reruns!!!
He would be on the top of the list when I said "according to who's opinion on TW you respect."
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #23
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i change mine once a year....what.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
erm626 is a glorious beacon of lighterm626 is a glorious beacon of lighterm626 is a glorious beacon of lighterm626 is a glorious beacon of lighterm626 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Ed
erm626's Tacoma Gallery
I agree 5000 miles or 6 months, It seems I'm using the truck less at $4.00 a gallon !
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
your sig is so fucking true
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by civictotaco View Post

Thanks. This helps a ton...will call the dealer tomorrow since it states that "The 2TR-FE 4-cylinder engine (4Runner and Tacoma) is an exception to this new change interval program; this engine has not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000 mile oil change interval is still required for these vehicles."
This is the answer.

You can also go on toyotaowners.com and enter your VIN, go to synthetic oil, and get a page that will tell you the same thing for your particular truck, so you can print that out.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
I find this interesting, coming from BMW's. Mine was a 530, and my wife has a Mini Cooper S (turbo). I did my own oil changes on my 530, and was changing between 5000-7500 miles (all highway, also approved by a BMW mechanic at a dealership), which is about half of their recommended time. Oil was still good, but I didnt want to worry, and I was out of warranty anyways.

On my wifes mini it does not have a schedule, beyond "when the light tells you too". I have spent a lot of time with the service manager and my friend, and it basically breaks down to - we will change it with the light, or once a year - which ever comes first. If you want it earlier or more often, it has to be done using BMW oil, and filter, or it could void the warranty - at about $100 bucks a change. BMW does not mess around with it, and have been using super extended change times for about a decade now.

Anyway, back to Tacoma oil questions!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by civictotaco View Post
2011 Tacoma DC SR5 Pre-Runner 2WD 4Cyl 2.7L

So I went to the Toyota dealer where I bought my truck today for the first service covered under Toyota Care. I waited and 1.5 hours to find out that the only thing they did was rotate the tires...they said there was no need for an oil change til 10,000 miles because it's synthetic oil....I bought the truck brand new so I have no clue what oil is in there.

This sounded wrong at the time but I just wanted to get out of there since I'd been waiting forever...and my maintenance booklet even says at 5,000 miles their supposed to:

Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Does this sound wrong to anyone else?
They should change the oil. The tacoma is one of a few that specifically call for oil change at 5,000 even with their synthetic.

Book says 5000
Website (mytoyota.com) says 10,000 except if Tacoma or a few others.
Coupon book for 5 5000 service says 10,000.

I asked the service writer at my dealership and he said they read it as "change oil and filter at 5,000"
Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #29
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
5k for peace of mind and it's what Toyota recommends.

Now if I can just get that 6.1 Qts with filter they stated to fit in every 5k miles that would be great. Oh, are we supposed to be fighting about that one in another thread?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #30
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer changed mine at 5K. The warranty book I got from my selling dealer also have the warranty coupon and states 5K miles. They also send me a letter stating that it's been about 6 months so that it's time for an oil change.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #31
chobee is on a distinguished road
chobee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
!
+1
Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #32
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Further confirmation from Toyota.com:

" What are the oil change intervals using this new oil? Are they longer?

Yes.The superior qualities of synthetic oil have allowed the oil change interval to be extended from 5,000miles to 10,000 miles for most models. However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top-off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of the new oil.

Disclaimer: 2010/2011 Tacoma 4-cylinder and 2010 4-Runner 4-cylinder with engine 2TR-FE, while synthetic oil vehicles, have oil change intervals at 5,000 miles/6 months.
Also, if 0W-20 is not available, 5W-20 oil may be used, but all vehicles must be replaced with 0W-20 within 5,000 miles/6 months."

http://www.toyota.com/owners/welcome/faqs.html#
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #33
xpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xpert1111's Tacoma Gallery
What's the deal with the 6 month interval. What if you have 1,000 miles. Would you still need to change the oil.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #34
magnum922 is on a distinguished road

magnum922's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpert1111 View Post
What's the deal with the 6 month interval. What if you have 1,000 miles. Would you still need to change the oil.
I just got my 5000 mile maintenence done and it only had 1500 miles on it. The dealer said it had to be done at 6 months or 5000 miles. Doesnt matter if you have low miles.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #35
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've been told by Toyota Service Rep, the oil breaks down over time due to initial use and contaminants in the oil so they recommend changing it every six months. Or they just really wanted to charge Toyota for my oil changes.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #36
civictotaco is on a distinguished road
civictotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Okay I called the dealer to day and spoke with the service manager, who still agreed that the oil change should be due at 10,000 miles.

So then I called Toyota's Corp. office, and after 20 minutes of holding top "verify the information," they said the oil change should have been done when I took it the other day at 5,000 miles. I have a case number, and I'm just waiting for the service manager at the dealership to call me back, before I have to call him....which won't be a pleasant conversation if I have to call.

Thanks guys for everything!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #37
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
I called a local dealer and asked about oil change interval for 2011 Tacoma 4cyl.

She said 0W-20 has a 10k mile interval and 5w-20 has a 5k mile interval
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #38
Jeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant futureJeff3004x4 has a brilliant future
Name: Jeff
Jeff3004x4's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 came with the "free maintenance program" my light comes on every 5000 miles to remind me it's time to change the oil. My dealership also sends me a little letter when they think I have driven 5000 miles, with a friendly little reminder that it is time to bring my truck in for a free oil change and car wash. You are doing the right thing your dealership is trying to screw you out of your free oil changes.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #39
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
I called a local dealer and asked about oil change interval for 2011 Tacoma 4cyl.

She said 0W-20 has a 10k mile interval and 5w-20 has a 5k mile interval
There continues to be a lot of confusion on this, which you can understand if you look at the eye-chart the dealer uses that cross references model with model year to show oil that should be used and oil change interval.

Go on toyotaowners.com and create an account for your taco with its VIN. Then follow the links around "synthetic oil." You'll be able to print out the information for your taco, the oil it uses, and the 5000 mile oil change interval.

Print that out and take it to your dealer.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #40
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
Great link. +1 rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post