Notices

Buying My First Car (Truck)

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
RiderOnTheStorm will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
RiderOnTheStorm's Tacoma Gallery
Buying My First Car (Truck)

Hello,

I am in the process of buying a new Tacoma and I've never purchased a vehicle before, so I am hoping to get some help!

I am looking at a 2011 A/C with the 2.7L, 4x4, and 5 speed manual with the SR5 package. It has a MSRP of $25,800.

First, I was curious about where to find invoices or maybe even an idea of what a dealer pays. I have been using cars,com, edmunds.com, kbb.com, and consumerreports.org to try to determine a "best price" or where I should shoot for negotiation. Are these sites' prices reputable or better yet, accurate? If not where can I look or does anyone have resources to help me?

Secondly, I am deciding how to pay for the Taco. One option is create a payment plan with parents and pay for the vehicle with cash. The other is to finance it from Toyota and make payments to them. My overarching question is does paying cash or financing help influence the ability to negotiate? If I was going to make it a cash sale would the dealer (in your opinions or experience) be wiling to work with me more knowing the vehicle paid off.

If you guys and gals could help me this that would be greatly appreciated! I'll also take any tips you have! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
I found this
http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-re...epage:homepage Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=662+14+240+190+398+15+9 &Q=4389278c-c4f5-4ee2-a191-147870b9e66a&ACD=662+14+190+398+15+9

hope that helps! Looks like you could get for 24-25K
Old 03-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I used this website when I purchased and was able to get them within $300 of the dealer cost on the site:

http://www.truecar.com/

For the truck you are mentioning the price based on my location is saying dealer cost is $22,797, and the average price paid is $23,158.

Goodluck
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Edmunds.com is very informative as well.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
billyboi8 is on a distinguished road

Name: Billy
billyboi8's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has been buying them since 1983. He says you get them at about 90% cost give or take some. So you get bout 10% off the sticker price.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought mine, and with my research, expect to chew them down 3k, which is roughly the 90% mentioned above. Sounds like you are young. As far as financing, If you need to build credit and your parents are willing, get it financed with them as a co signer to help build your credit and get a lower interest rate. I've always been told that if you have cash you can negotiate a better price, but I've not really had that luxury. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience with new car dealerships, cash is actually a detriment to the deal. The dealership gets a kick back from the loan provider for talking you into financing (theirs, instead of a bank...) and are generally easier to work with.

If you are talking with a used car dealership, usually the opposite - cash talks.

Beyond that - if you decide on financing, remember not to get into the "monthly payment" game. Work on the bottom line price, not the payments.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
you sure you want manual? read a lot of problems with it. you dont want v6? almost same gas mileage
I thought the majority of the problems (throwout bearings, etc.) were on the 6 speed manual. And yes the gas mileage is close, but 15 is not 18.

An auto V6 puts me at minimum of $29k. Unless there is going to be a Tacoma World help me buy a truck fund...that's not going to be an option
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
if you pay cash you will always get a better deal. in dealers eyes, cash talks and bullshit walks. i bought a scion tc a while back for school because i didnt want to put miles on my tacoma and got 3K off for paying cash
Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
I used Edmund's pricing guide. It shows you the MSRP and sticker, and then a price that's paid on average in your area, and is very fair.

When you do the negotiations:
  1. Make SURE to do your research on all the options and packages, and about what they run.
  2. Once you've researched, locate a dealer that has the truck that's as close to what you want, and call to setup a test drive to take a look at it. Be sure to speak to the "internet sales department" as they are generally not as pushy as the normal "salesmen". I suspect in a few years there will be no difference, but for now there's still a separation between the two.
  3. When you negotiate, keep things separate. Negotiate the truck's purchase price first. One flat number, should be the price that YOU will pay for the truck alone. Then negotiate financing terms using that purchase price. Walking in with pre-arranged financing from your bank or credit union is an extra feather in your cap that keeps things on your side.
  4. If you're doing a trade-in, be sure to be explicit as to it's value, and keep it separate from the other portions of the purchase, too.
  5. Also, have the dealership send over a preliminary sheet that lists the entire deal on paper, including any fees they'll charge. Ask for clarification for any of the fees that aren't immediately understood, and make sure you feel comfortable enough to be able to sign that sheet as if it were the actual contract. Then take it with you the day you sign for your Tacoma.
Just a few things I picked up during my recent purchase experience.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TRD4WD View Post
if you pay cash you will always get a better deal. in dealers eyes, cash talks and bullshit walks. i bought a scion tc a while back for school because i didnt want to put miles on my tacoma and got 3K off for paying cash
I'm going to start following you around, try and catch a few of the $100's falling out of your ass.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #13
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
I thought the majority of the problems (throwout bearings, etc.) were on the 6 speed manual. And yes the gas mileage is close, but 15 is not 18.

An auto V6 puts me at minimum of $29k. Unless there is going to be a Tacoma World help me buy a truck fund...that's not going to be an option
If you can spend a day going to as many dealers as you can(nearest big city) tell them you have cash.Dont play the game on the price they want. Tell them 15% off list they will, be nice give em your name and ph# and walk. Someone will call, works in fla. Also ask your bank or c. u. if they know a wholesaler for a small fee they are a big help. Dont let the dealer get you, get him, good luck & dont be in a hurry. Jim
Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
70Firebird is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aviation Boatswain's Mate
70Firebird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygabe View Post
I used Edmund's pricing guide. It shows you the MSRP and sticker, and then a price that's paid on average in your area, and is very fair.

When you do the negotiations:
  1. Make SURE to do your research on all the options and packages, and about what they run.
  2. Once you've researched, locate a dealer that has the truck that's as close to what you want, and call to setup a test drive to take a look at it. Be sure to speak to the "internet sales department" as they are generally not as pushy as the normal "salesmen". I suspect in a few years there will be no difference, but for now there's still a separation between the two.
  3. When you negotiate, keep things separate. Negotiate the truck's purchase price first. One flat number, should be the price that YOU will pay for the truck alone. Then negotiate financing terms using that purchase price. Walking in with pre-arranged financing from your bank or credit union is an extra feather in your cap that keeps things on your side.
  4. If you're doing a trade-in, be sure to be explicit as to it's value, and keep it separate from the other portions of the purchase, too.
  5. Also, have the dealership send over a preliminary sheet that lists the entire deal on paper, including any fees they'll charge. Ask for clarification for any of the fees that aren't immediately understood, and make sure you feel comfortable enough to be able to sign that sheet as if it were the actual contract. Then take it with you the day you sign for your Tacoma.
Just a few things I picked up during my recent purchase experience.
This is all good advice--the only thing I can add is when the negotiating is done and you have their "best price", say thanks, stand up, and say you need to get going, as you told Mr. Salesman at the competing Toyota dealership down the road you'd be in to see him today.

I did this, and the sales manager said, "Look, what do I have to do to keep you from walking out of here?"

At that point, keep negotiating the price down and/or your trade in price up.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
OP: Nice choice. That's exactly what I went for.
I appreciate the vote of confidence - how do you like her?? I know it won't be a hot rod, but is it still fun to drive?