Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SAS on 2wd taco

Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
dcrawfo1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Donny
dcrawfo1's Tacoma Gallery
SAS on 2wd taco

alright im new on here and i just have a few questions. i have this master plan in my head and i'd love for it to work out lol. i have a 06 taco access cab 2wd auto. and i'd like to lift it and put some 33s or so on it. So i got this idea today to buy a set of toyota axles. (found a set frnt and rear, out of a 84, complete, $400) and just swap them under my toyota. are the 84 toy axles the same width as my current set up, or skinnier?? and info or links on this would be great! thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know how to weld. Do you have a torch, welder, grinder, basic fab tools?

Are you going to run springs or links?

Steering box?

Are you going to rebuild the axle? Do you know how? Do you have the tools?

84 axle is 55 1/2"

05 axle is 60"

I also believe the 84 solid axles were passenger side drop.

The Tacomas are driver side drop. Maybe I'm wrong?

If you're not converting to 4wd then I guess that won't matter but then to me the swap makes no sense.

IFS will handle better for everything you'd use a 2wd truck for.

Maybe that won't matter anyway if you go through someone like marlin for a t-case.

A narrow Dana44 out of a Wagoneer is about 62" and I believe drivers side drop, this would probably fit you better.

Keep the stock rear. Don't forget you've got to match the gears.

I'd read through Wyatt's (Awsumdc) sas, and go to TTORA and read all the SAS's. Then do a search on pirate and read more.

If it was as cheap or easy as you make it out to be, I would have done it long ago.

http://www.atarmor.com/writeups/SASwriteup.htm
http://128.83.80.200/TACO/sasfaq.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sol...uide-cost.html

I don't quite agree with his assessment of cost but I'd say you could be in the $5000 with leaves range damn quick.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
really cuz? 2 threads? its un necessary. If your having to ask about basics like that your not ready for a sas (Solid axle swap). You should do alot more research and reading before you ask questions. Read through here. dont ask questions on that site until you do or you will catch hell.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Why!? You have a 2wd why in the world would you do a sas! That's like throwing money away.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I agree. Solid axle swap can be expensive and hugely labour intensive. Why on earth would you do this on a 2WD.

Trade it in for a 4WD sounds like you will be a lot happier, that's what I did!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
How far is that SAS going to get you in 2WD?

Don't waste your money on this project
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe he wants to convert to 4x4? Get a jeep wagoneer front axle
Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

thanks kinkrider101 lol. i was thinkin of this in the long run. and yea sorry about the 2 threads. i put this one up then realized i should have put it up in the 5 lug section. sorry ill delete it if its that big a deal. thanks for all the input tho!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing wrong at all with doing on sas on a 2wd truck. infact, in many case's it's easier to do than on some 4wd trucks because of the electronics involved. I'm going to do a solid axle swap on my wifes '04 4.7liter 4Runner and it's 2wd. Going to make everything much easier than messing with te 4wd computer on the same truck. You just need to get a fully manual transfer case when doing this kind of swap r pay through the nose to put in an electronic one. Just my two cents
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
Nothing wrong at all with doing on sas on a 2wd truck. infact, in many case's it's easier to do than on some 4wd trucks because of the electronics involved. I'm going to do a solid axle swap on my wifes '04 4.7liter 4Runner and it's 2wd. Going to make everything much easier than messing with te 4wd computer on the same truck. You just need to get a fully manual transfer case when doing this kind of swap r pay through the nose to put in an electronic one. Just my two cents
Will you marry me?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #11

lol. yea if i were to go thru with this in the future i would do a manuel tcase. i hate all this electronic crap, its too much stuff that could mess up when you need it the most
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
Will you marry me?

Depends.... what size dress do you ware?