Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tube steps or running boards?

View Poll Results: Tube steps or running boards?
Tube Steps 61 71.76%
Running Boards 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
accesscab is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
accesscab's Tacoma Gallery
tube steps or running boards?

Which would look better on my 2010 MGM prerunner access cab with factory 16" alloys and factory suspension, with rear TSB?
Tube steps or running boards?
Any opinions/comments/tips?
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Buy my tube steps for $50

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...csb-cheap.html
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
SCCAKen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
SCCAKen's Tacoma Gallery
tube steps

if you are a big time 4WD & off road guy, sliders may be a good choice.

I have black powder coated NFB tube steps and love them. I can reach into the bottom of the bed or clean the top of the cab. Or help haul my rather short & fat a** in the cab.

I'm no fan of running boards, unless they are the electric type that pull under the cab except when you have the door open.

Ken (from Atlanta)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Really, sliders can never go wrong. Let us enumerate the reasons why:

- Can function just as tube steps.
- Protect from door dings and low speed collisions.
- Offroad protection.
- Easier jacking in many situations.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders! way better in every aspect!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Grosbec is on a distinguished road
Army: Medic
Grosbec's Tacoma Gallery
I put Westin stainless tube steps or nerf bars on my 2011 mg grey access cab($230). Install was fast. I'm very satisfied They look great and went on without any problems. Personally. I think running boards just don't look as good. But it just depends on your set up. Running boards look better on lower trucks.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
I just don't like the tube steps, they look like it was an afterthought and its just two tubes hanging off. I think the running boards from Toyota flow well with the Tacoma.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
tguil is on a distinguished road
tguil's Tacoma Gallery
I had the OEM step tubes on both my 2005 and now my 2011 Tacoma. They looked good and "got-r-done".
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to leave your truck as is then I would go with running boards. They fit close to the body and don't give a lowered appearance. If you plan on lifting the front, then I would go with N-Fab style side steps. If you go off road, then sliders.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic
maser is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
maser's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco came with running boards. I like 'em, but if I had the $$$, there would be sliders on.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
accesscab is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
accesscab's Tacoma Gallery
I don't do any offroading and plan keeping the stock wheels.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
stock running boards do not take as much visual space as the tubes and have more surface to get in the vehicle (kids).
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
what are the general price ranges on each option?

Sliders - $? - $?
Tubes - $? - $?
Boards - $? - $?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I have the stock running boards and they do have a lot of surface, but to me and my step daughter agree's with me that they are akward. They seem to just be in the way. They sit so close to the level of the floorboard that they dont really have a purpose other than looks. Allthough I have kinda gotten used to them now, but when I first drove the truck and for the first week or so, I kept finding my self stepping over them. So as far as function, I dont care that much for mine. I think they look pretty good, but wouldn't buy them now. I would probably look at tubes or even the sliders. I'm not intending any hardcore offroading but do like the protection factor.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if the tubes would do any better than the running board. They stick out further and lower and there is less surface to walk on. Anyway, I just saw an unlifted Sierra with tubes and it looked ugly.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poot Klopp View Post
what are the general price ranges on each option?

Sliders - $? - $?
Tubes - $? - $?
Boards - $? - $?

Price ranges are about the same for all of 'em.

Sliders will have a bit of install work...can do it yourself, or pay someone.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
stock running boards do not take as much visual space as the tubes and have more surface to get in the vehicle (kids).
Sliders look the best, But i have 95&90 y.o.inlaws that love our truck now with running boards&grab bars to help with the in &out.