Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leer Cap Owners please help me with my custom toolbox

Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Leer Cap Owners please help me with my custom toolbox

Leer Cap Owners

I am designing a chest style toolbox that I can use with or without a cap , I need to know the height from the bed to the inside of the cap roof , and would like some opinions on how close to the body shape of the cab that the cap conforms to .

In these pictures I have mocked up a plywood box to check my sizes before commiting to building it out of aluminum .

Any comments on the lid open picture in particular , do you feel this will contact the inside of the cap ?

Could anybody post a pic of the inside of their Leer cap , that would be awesome .

The front of the box will not remain open , this will be a full chest style box , I was making the mock up from scraps of plywood at work .

Thanks in advance .

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
gonna be sweet.

I'm guessing as it sits right now the corners of the lid won't clear the cap as you open it. But I'm just eyeballing it from your pics.

Your measurements will be more bulletproof if you get the cap first, then build the box. But you already knew that.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
gonna be sweet.

I'm guessing as it sits right now the corners of the lid won't clear the cap as you open it. But I'm just eyeballing it from your pics.

Your measurements will be more bulletproof if you get the cap first, then build the box. But you already knew that.
Ya , thanks Bullwinkle .

I don't plan on getting a cap till the fall , but I need a toolbox now .

I have that mockup on a couple of 1 1/2" styrofoam blocks , if I lose that height I think it will improve things , it's either that or nip the corners of the lid , which I think is going to look weird .
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Go to a cap dealer and take measurements. My cap sits inside the rails a bit due to the attachment system. Your box might also be too wide.

Cut the corners off the lid (or front 1/3rd) and let them be reversed hinged from the front edge of the box.THat way you can open the top all the way, but still tuck under the lid.

Make sure to get "windoors" on your lid.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Nice box.
Here's an idea. You said you didn't want to nip the corners...that would look siily. How about recessing the lid opening a few inches from the side edges. Box in the top-sides and the door is shorter than the overall length. This would give you clearance with stright lines.
...just a thought.
Good luck; anxious to see the final product.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I can take some measurements when I get home tonight and take a picture for you.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenstaco View Post
cant you just make it flush with the side rails maybe a slide out top
The Leer cap overlaps the siderails slightly in the corners to leave a lip so you can fasten it to the rails.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
B A N N E D
stevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: steven
stevenstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
The Leer cap overlaps the siderails slightly in the corners to leave a lip so you can fasten it to the rails.
oh!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacotaco View Post
Go to a cap dealer and take measurements. My cap sits inside the rails a bit due to the attachment system. Your box might also be too wide.

Cut the corners off the lid (or front 1/3rd) and let them be reversed hinged from the front edge of the box.THat way you can open the top all the way, but still tuck under the lid.

Make sure to get "windoors" on your lid.
The nearest cap dealer is a day away from me . Interesting idea for the lid , thanks .
Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
Nice box.
Here's an idea. You said you didn't want to nip the corners...that would look siily. How about recessing the lid opening a few inches from the side edges. Box in the top-sides and the door is shorter than the overall length. This would give you clearance with stright lines.
...just a thought.
Good luck; anxious to see the final product.
I was thinking along the same lines as you about making the top a bit narrower than the box width .

Thanks for the input .
Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can take some measurements when I get home tonight and take a picture for you.
Thanks Mac
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenstaco View Post
cant you just make it flush with the side rails maybe a slide out top
I'm trying to maximize the depth while still being able to have the lid fully open with a cap mounted .
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
A couple months back I was doing the same thing....adding a box to the bed that would work with the LEER cap. I even got some prices from Tuffy to make the 'tool chest', but life and work has been too busy to follow through to the completion.

FYI - According to my mock up, if you keep the box inside the 'wheel wells' and below the bottom of the factory rails your lid will clear the interior of the cap

I was planning to bolt the box down into the bed floor, leaving room on each side, and only come up in height to the bed rails. Here were my measurements:
base/width 42" x height 16" x depth 10"

The customer service department at Tuffy was great and they sent me a bill of sale for a singe ($423 each) or multiple boxes $180 each for 20 or more).

They also sent me the pdf....attached here.

Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAD Tuffy.pdf (264.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
David S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud ofDavid S has much to be proud of
David S's Tacoma Gallery
What sort of LEER cap? Not sure if they are all exactly the same or not. I have the base model, 100R I think. No windoors or nothin. I can take pics and measurements tonight or tomorrow if you'd like.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakDwn View Post
A couple months back I was doing the same thing....adding a box to the bed that would work with the LEER cap. I even got some prices from Tuffy to make the 'tool chest', but life and work has been too busy to follow through to the completion.

FYI - According to my mock up, if you keep the box inside the 'wheel wells' and below the bottom of the factory rails your lid will clear the interior of the cap

I was planning to bolt the box down into the bed floor, leaving room on each side, and only come up in height to the bed rails. Here were my measurements:
base/width 42" x height 16" x depth 10"

The customer service department at Tuffy was great and they sent me a bill of sale for a singe ($423 each) or multiple boxes $180 each for 20 or more).

They also sent me the pdf....attached here.

Hope this helps
Thank you for your help .
Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
What sort of LEER cap? Not sure if they are all exactly the same or not. I have the base model, 100R I think. No windoors or nothin. I can take pics and measurements tonight or tomorrow if you'd like.
Not sure , I'm thinking an XQ , but any interior pics of any Leer model are welcome .

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mac , if possible can you measure the clear room between the cap mounting rails at the bottom , front ?

That would be overly helpful .
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Mac , if possible can you measure the clear room between the cap mounting rails at the bottom , front ?

That would be overly helpful .
??? no comprehendo ???