1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer Cap Owners please help me with my custom toolbox

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OZ-T, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Leer Cap Owners

I am designing a chest style toolbox that I can use with or without a cap , I need to know the height from the bed to the inside of the cap roof , and would like some opinions on how close to the body shape of the cab that the cap conforms to .

In these pictures I have mocked up a plywood box to check my sizes before commiting to building it out of aluminum .

Any comments on the lid open picture in particular , do you feel this will contact the inside of the cap ?

Could anybody post a pic of the inside of their Leer cap , that would be awesome .

The front of the box will not remain open , this will be a full chest style box , I was making the mock up from scraps of plywood at work .

Thanks in advance .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    gonna be sweet.

I'm guessing as it sits right now the corners of the lid won't clear the cap as you open it. But I'm just eyeballing it from your pics.

Your measurements will be more bulletproof if you get the cap first, then build the box. But you already knew that.

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Ya , thanks Bullwinkle .

I don't plan on getting a cap till the fall , but I need a toolbox now .

I have that mockup on a couple of 1 1/2" styrofoam blocks , if I lose that height I think it will improve things , it's either that or nip the corners of the lid , which I think is going to look weird .

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Bump for the day crowd

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    chacotaco

chacotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Albuquerque & Palo Alto
    Vehicle:
    2011 SSM TRD SPORT DCLB
    Black Snugtop XtraVision Sleep Deck.
    Go to a cap dealer and take measurements. My cap sits inside the rails a bit due to the attachment system. Your box might also be too wide.

Cut the corners off the lid (or front 1/3rd) and let them be reversed hinged from the front edge of the box.THat way you can open the top all the way, but still tuck under the lid.

Make sure to get "windoors" on your lid.

6. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    Nice box.
    Here's an idea. You said you didn't want to nip the corners...that would look siily. How about recessing the lid opening a few inches from the side edges. Box in the top-sides and the door is shorter than the overall length. This would give you clearance with stright lines.
    ...just a thought.
    Good luck; anxious to see the final product.

7. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I can take some measurements when I get home tonight and take a picture for you.

8. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    cant you just make it flush with the side rails maybe a slide out top

9. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    The Leer cap overlaps the siderails slightly in the corners to leave a lip so you can fasten it to the rails.

10. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    :facepalm:
    oh!

11. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The nearest cap dealer is a day away from me . Interesting idea for the lid , thanks .

12. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking along the same lines as you about making the top a bit narrower than the box width .

Thanks for the input .

13. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Mac

14. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I'm trying to maximize the depth while still being able to have the lid fully open with a cap mounted .

15. Mar 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    TakDwn

TakDwn Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC V6 Shortbed 4x4
    Bili's all around, front 5100's at 1.75", rear TSB w/AAL, 265x75/16 BFG AT, Wheelers steelies Type B 4" bs, LEER cap, Tinted, Relentless hybrid sliders welded, Cab mount chop, Plastic trimming, Sock retros, Mirror lift, Satoshi with old school emblem, WeatherTechs, Mudlaps gone, RedLine hood struts, Fumoto valve, Tailgate clamped, Console organizer, Mobtown Offroad Front Recovery Bar
    A couple months back I was doing the same thing....adding a box to the bed that would work with the LEER cap. I even got some prices from Tuffy to make the 'tool chest', but life and work has been too busy to follow through to the completion.

FYI - According to my mock up, if you keep the box inside the 'wheel wells' and below the bottom of the factory rails your lid will clear the interior of the cap

I was planning to bolt the box down into the bed floor, leaving room on each side, and only come up in height to the bed rails. Here were my measurements:
    base/width 42" x height 16" x depth 10"

The customer service department at Tuffy was great and they sent me a bill of sale for a singe ($423 each) or multiple boxes $180 each for 20 or more).

They also sent me the pdf....attached here.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

16. Mar 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    David S

David S Well-Known Member

Member:
    sunny Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ 6MT
    What sort of LEER cap? Not sure if they are all exactly the same or not. I have the base model, 100R I think. No windoors or nothin. I can take pics and measurements tonight or tomorrow if you'd like.

17. Mar 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for your help .

18. Mar 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Not sure , I'm thinking an XQ , but any interior pics of any Leer model are welcome .

Thanks

19. Mar 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mac , if possible can you measure the clear room between the cap mounting rails at the bottom , front ?

That would be overly helpful .

20. Mar 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    ??? no comprehendo ???

Products Discussed in