1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ready to buy a new Taco, 2 questions left.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SharpAce, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    SharpAce

SharpAce [OP] New Member

Member:
    I suppose I should post in the new members section, but I don't officially own one yet! I have a couple questions for the community, but first, my background:

I just finished college, I'm in a 09 Yaris right now (lol i know...), I am starting to hate it (like the fuel mileage though), and am ready to get into a truck. I farm with/for my dad, just picked up 50 acres myself, so I figure why not complete the image with owning a nice little truck. I have driven about everything ya'll could imagine, from motorcycles to semis to boats to pavement rollers. I hold a class A CDL, dad has a Volvo semi we haul grain with, so yes, a Tacoma is "little" to me. Dad drives a 07 Tundra (mom works at Toyota dealership), as well as owning a service truck and all sorts of farm/construction equipment.
    I want a truck for a few reasons other than fun/image. I live alone in a farm house on a poorly maintained rock road that gets real soft during the spring/summer/fall after big rains, and stays snow covered for a day or three after a blizzard. 4x4 and high clearance would be great. Also I find myself borrowing my dad's tundra or having him do me favors all the time to get stuff to and from his farm to my house and vice versa. Family has a "runabout"(ski) boat, which I have use of whenever they aren't on it, but I have always had to borrow dad's truck, again, pain in my/his ass.
    I have been looking at these and drooling over them for months now, and with my unique connection having family work at the dealership, I have the opportunity to buy one for a little over invoice. (And for the next 1.5 years i get a 1k cash incentive for being a recent college grad!)
    [didn't mean to write a book, but wanted ya'll to get to know me! :) ]

What I think I want:
    2010 or 2011 Double Cab, V6 4x4, TRD Sport. (white or red, can't decide)

My questions:
    1.)"Long" box or short box?,
    -the long turns 4' wider, and has something like 100lbs less payload. I will haul things like farming supplies(seed etc), furniture, construction materials... Is sacrificing maneuverability and a little payload worth the extra foot?

2.)JBL audio worth the extra $300?
    I am big into music when I'm in my vehicles, and since I will be getting rid of my car this will be my "gettin girls" vehicle as well. The idea of a sub-woofer really enticed me until I found out my dealer doesn't stock any Tacomas with the JBL. I was told if i wanted it they could get one on dealer trade, but I would have to wait 2-3 weeks. The "factory" TRD 6disc radio does not impress me, when I test drove one I maxed it and it leaves much to be desired. You guys with the JBL "premium" factory radio satisfied?

3.)Anything I should know before I sign the line?
    I know ya'll are a bunch of happy guys, reading your posts for the last few days have shown me about all of you are in love with your trucks, which makes me want one even more! Is there anything else I should consider when I have the chance to buy more factory options, less options, whatever?

One concern: I am not big into mod'n stuff. I had a camaro a car ago, and dumped thousands and thousands into it trying to make it faster and cooler, and got none of that back in the end, in fact I think the mods I paid for and did made the car worth less! I know Yotas hold value better, but I really wanna keep it as factory as possible, so now is the time if I'm going to choose whats on the truck(plus factory options are covered under warranty)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this wall of info!, and hopefully for some good advice?

2. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I say if you are hauling a lot then get the long bed.

As far as the JBL, It is a hard find, or was for me anyway. But I love mine. If you are planning to do any after market on the sound system them dont get it. If leaving it stock then get it.

3. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    ^X2 if you think you'll need a 6' bed get it!

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    tacoglider

tacoglider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Oceanside,Ca.
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Pro Comp 3" lift, Pro Comp 17x8 wheels, Pro Comp Xtreme M/T tires, front diff drop, Magnaflow exhaust,Smittybilt receiver hitch with shackle,tailgate mod,Cobra 38wxst cb w/ 36" mag roof antenna
    Hey Sharp, get a long bed you"re going to be glad you got it. How long do you plan on keeping this truck? Concentrate on function first and deal with the other stuff later. Good luck!

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Unasked for answer:

KEEP THE YARIS!

I was in a 2003 Matrix when I finished school. It was paid off, and had 14x,000 miles on it. It was reliable like swiss watch.

It remains reliable like swiss watch. It now has 177k miles and counting. It gets absolutely fantastic mileage.

Is it as much a joy to drive as the truck? No. But it's the right car for around towning and to/from work. It saves me gas money. Having two vehicles is an AWESOME feeling of security (one out of commission for whatever reason? Call AAA, hop in the other, and go on about your day with no inconvenience).

KEEP THE YARIS. You'll thank yourself later.

6. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    white is better and easier to keep clean and cant really see scratches, Jbl is totally worth it. It sounds really good for stock.. I own a short bed cause i dont really haul anything, but i think a long bed is better for you...

7. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    SharpAce

SharpAce [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the advice, I have been hearing this one a lot :"Keep the Yaris" from my older (claims to be wiser) sister, and my mom. (She is skeptical, but can see how much i want the truck so she's supportive of whatever i decide.)

The problem is, I don't have the Yaris paid for yet. I'm about 1/2 done paying for her(financed 100%, 0 Down), and am at the break even point if i trade it. I can't afford two payments every month, and one vehicle to insure is plenty for me as well. If I get crazy and find a wife or something then I'll consider buying another car, but for now, I'm ready to get into a truck.

1.)You guys talked me into the long box, decision made.
    2.)As for the audio:
    I have to wait 2-3 weeks for my store to get one. I'm one of those guys who avoids online buying because I would rather pay 10 more dollars at best buy to be able to walk home with the item(instant gratification.) -Guys with the JBL, I guess I'm just wanting confirmation that it is badass. For the extra wait / money I don't want something that is hardly noticeably different then the standard 6disc.
    3.)Should i splurge for any factory add-ons?

All this talk is making me hungry! I just wanna go buy one tomorrow!!!!

8. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    Yeah, are you really going to need the extra 100lbs of payload with 2 feet of less bed? Besides, will 100lbs of payload really mean that much? You stated yourself that you're well aware of it's smaller size, so it's only going to be hauling smaller loads anyways. If you need the extra 100lbs of payload consistently (think of it, that's 2.5 bags of softener salt!), you might want to consider a Tundra like your dad's. But I don't think you will.

9. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    The JBL actually sounds pretty damn good! Better than some of the systems I put together in my younger days. The tow package may sound good for you too. Trans and oil coolers with 7 pin and hitch. IIRC the trd extra value package comes with both.

10. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:52 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    X2!

I am just a new Tacoma Owner, just owning one for 2 months and the more I read the posts in this forum the more and more I am convinced the Tacoma is junk, from the frames rusting out, to the weak rear springs, the heater blower motor and the manual transmssion problems.
    I agree to keep the Yaris!

11. Mar 10, 2011 at 3:24 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    They aren't junk... they just have their issues as most other cars do.

12. Mar 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    If you really want the 6' bed then get an access cab, the DCLB looks kind of funky stock.
    Also, you may want to check the board re. frame rot on 2nd gen

13. Mar 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM
    396tears

396tears Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm in my Tacoma number 3

I say Go For It

but

go SPEEDWAY BLUE - it attracts women :):):):)

3 Tacomas -- 10 good years

Sounds like you at least need to get the Offroad or 4x4
    and the towing package too

Happy Motoring

congratulations on becoming a college graduate/landowner/farmer
    we need more people like you and your family

14. Mar 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    The JBL system to me sounds great, and I am one that used to be fairly big into systems. I am plenty happy with it, other than the limited display. I love the bluetooth, that is the main reason I wanted it. Like I said, the stereo sounds great for me and many of the older folks on here. The younger people dont think so highly of it. That is a tough call unless you get a chance to listen to one. If you are wanting a system to rattle windows and set off car alarms, you might want to go aftermarket. I am in no way trying to discourage you from it, but I read on here about the sub having a rattle and I didn't hear it until after I started playing with it to see just what it would do. After maxing it out with some good bass stuff, I now do notice a rattle. It seems to be the box, not the sub, but it only does it with certain songs and with certain types of bass. So in other words if you listen to a lot of Rap it may not be the system for you.

I know the feeling you are going though, I was lucky though in that my truck which was the only one in the state I could find that had the JBL was packaged exactly how I wanted it. I did have to drive just over an hour across town to get it, but was glad I did as I was plesantly surprised at the sound.

As far as your trade, are you familiar with or have you tried getting a sale/trade from Carmax? Most dealers will match whatever Carmax offers, and they will buy your vehicle straight out w/o a purcahse if you want. It at least gives you some negotiation power on your trade. Good luck!

15. Mar 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Answer 1 ... Short box and get rear locker and keep the tighter turning radius.

Answer 2 ... Get no radio or cheapest radio and have it replaced with an after market radio.

PS ... If you want an extended warranty ... make sure to get the "Toyota Factory OEM Warranty" and not a wanna be knock off. And you can buy the exact same warranty on line for 1/2 the price of what most dealers will charge.

16. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    ILikeTacosToo

ILikeTacosToo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD Off Road
    ARB front locker, alpine nav, image dynamics i5800, Polk audio front rear and subs, TOYTEC 3 inch coilovers wiht AAL, awesomest driver ever!
    I guess i am the only one here who thought the JBL stereo left a lot to be desired. I sold an 08 Prerunner TRD Sport with factory stereo to an 08 4X4 TRD Off road that had the JBL upgraded stereo and i have to say the JBL was not all that great. I am actually in the process of tearing it all out (i mean ALL of it, head unit, door speakers, amp, sub) and i was surprised to see that all the speakers were rather cheap paper cones, the sub is about the same quality... if you want my stock JBL sub enclosure and the plastic cargo cover thing for it you can have it for the price of shipping (i destroyed the speaker just to see how it was made). you would be MUCH better off taking your 300 bucks and getting an small 4 channel amp (alpine F-300 is about 140 on Amazon) and 2 sets of speakers. you can use a line converter off of the factory head unit until you upgrade it for the signal wires.

to answer your first question, 95% of the time i'm glad i have the short bed. 5% of the time i think "hmmm an extra foot would come in handy right about now" (that's what she said!)

To answer your last question, dont buy the extended warranty from factory. other than that just do your homework before you go. i know you said you could get it for a little over invoice because your mom works at a dealership but with the dealer incentives you could really get it for less than invoice if you go in there with your facts straight.

[​IMG]

17. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    SharpAce

SharpAce [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the opinions/advice again guys. All the trucks on the lot, equipped with a v6 4x4 etc have radios in them, so I probably can't buy one without it entirely. I think I will indeed stay away from the premium system, mostly because of the special order PIA. Thanks for showing me that truecar price thing, but don't worry I can get a deal. I didn't actually mean invoice, I can buy a vehicle there for (very little) over dealer cost. I think its just a matter of time before i post pics of my new truck guys :)

Thoughts on the factory skid plate? That is one option I find might be useful, which i don't believe is included in the TRD Sport package.

18. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    I really like the JBL as a factory system. I think it is well worth it.

But there are many audiophiles who won't share my opinion. If you're into aftermarket audio, get the base radio and upgrade.

I would get the bluetooth as well. It's a great option. That's how I ended up with the JBL. It was a package deal...

19. Mar 11, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I say skip the taco and go ahead and get the Tundra. Your gonna get a lot more truck for not a lot more money. Plus they offer more rebates like 0% financing and stuff on the Tundra's.
    If your dead set on getting the Tacoma. Get the long box and the JBL. Just my opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top