LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Diff Question

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu View Post
Well after read though the treads I think mine is different. My 07 toco will go into 4hi but when I try to go into 4lo (going slow or stopped) all that it does is beep and the 4LO light blinks.
You have to be in neutral for low.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
excalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud ofexcalis has much to be proud of

excalis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Thank you.. happy to help... See my link below for more details on the traction options... the truck is awesome!
David, the information you have written on the 4x4 stuff on this forum is what got me to buy my Off Road Tacoma, thanks a bunch and keep up the good work Now I will need to study that so that it will stick.

Rep for you!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
Manchu is on a distinguished road

Army: Scouts HHC 2nd battalion 9th Reg,  7Inf.
Name: Steve
Manchu's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #24
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You have to be in neutral for low.
In your sun visor (or read the owners manual):

In Neutral (N), not PARK.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalis View Post
David, the information you have written on the 4x4 stuff on this forum is what got me to buy my Off Road Tacoma, thanks a bunch and keep up the good work Now I will need to study that so that it will stick.

Rep for you!
Thank you for that!

It is just fun to have so many options... but in reality, driving the truck is easy on and off road!

The standard mode (TRAC) in H4 is what you use and when you go into Low Range, press the A-TRAC button once, and leave it that way. Every time you go into L4, the A-TRAC will be on stand-by for whenever you lose traction on any tire... then, and only then with it activate and stop tire spin, matching rotation across the axle. Such a wonderful feature... getting stuck could be a thing of the past!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #26
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
hey sorry for kinda butting in but i have just 1 quick question

i know what lockers esentially do but what do they help in i.e mud/rock/snow?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I Have a 2WD 07 TRD OR and my locker will engage at low speeds ~5~10mph. If you are over that it will blink at you all day untill you are slow enough to engage. Now in mud especially if one tire loses traction and keeps spinning the other tire will not(or not much). When the locker is engage you are ensuring that both tires are spinning.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #28

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
hey sorry for kinda butting in but i have just 1 quick question

i know what lockers esentially do but what do they help in i.e mud/rock/snow?
For my four wheeling, they greatly increase the truck's climbing ability on STEEP GRADES with LOOSE ROCKS or DEEP RUTS.

If one tire gets over loose stuff or over a deep rut (and it is no longer on the ground... you LOSE that entire axle drive... because the loose tire will spin, and take the power away from the traction tire. 4WD helps, but if one of the front tires also looses traction, then you are stuck... or can't climb any more.

A locker (or good traction control) will match (or try to match) tire rotation across the axle so the good tire gets an equal share of torque from the differential.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #29
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For my four wheeling, they greatly increase the truck's climbing ability on STEEP GRADES with LOOSE ROCKS or DEEP RUTS.

If one tire gets over loose stuff or over a deep rut (and it is no longer on the ground... you LOSE that entire axle drive... because the loose tire will spin, and take the power away from the traction tire. 4WD helps, but if one of the front tires also looses traction, then you are stuck... or can't climb any more.

A locker (or good traction control) will match (or try to match) tire rotation across the axle so the good tire gets an equal share of torque from the differential.

oh i c. thanks man. ya i tried it in 3.5ft of slushy snow yesterday and it did make much if any difference cuz my tires are just to wide to cut through slushly snow
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #30
Tarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to beholdTarheelz2350 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Deputy Sheriff
Name: Jon
Tarheelz2350's Tacoma Gallery
Nice thanks for the visual aids. They make the owner's manual a little easier to understand. Good write-up.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #31
Manchu is on a distinguished road

Army: Scouts HHC 2nd battalion 9th Reg,  7Inf.
Name: Steve
Manchu's Tacoma Gallery
4 LO

Quote:
In your sun visor (or read the owners manual):

In Neutral (N), not PARK.
Thanks David,

I did start by looking for something in the rig that would give me a clue. My visors look like this. As well as the passenger side.

No where in the truck that I could find had any such instructions. The Owner's Manual would probably have all that I would need.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #32
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu View Post
Thanks David,

I did start by looking for something in the rig that would give me a clue. My visors look like this. As well as the passenger side.

No where in the truck that I could find had any such instructions. The Owner's Manual would probably have all that I would need.

They were in the driver's side , somebody got rid of the card
Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Correct... the light for thr rear locker BLINKS if you pushed the button (and doesn't engage)... no matter when you push the button.

The only time it will engage (and the light goes from blinking to solid) is when you are already in L4 (on 4WD Off Road Tacos).
not sure about this. mine will engage in any drive mode 2hi, 4hi, or 4lo. just sometimes have to rock it into place