Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Diff Question

Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
jtacoma1 is on a distinguished road
Name: J
jtacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Diff Question

I'm new to this forum and new 4x4 owner. Second Tacoma.

Just purchased 2011 Tacoma DC 4x4. Before I drove the car off the lot there was an indicator light on which the salesman said was the 4x4 light. We cycled between 2H and 4H and the light persisted. He then instructed me to accelerate above 25mph to disengage the 4x4.

Quick jump to the end - the light wasn't 4x4 it was the Locking Diff engaged indicator.

My question: Is it possible that anything could have been damaged driving with the LD engaged on pavement and accelerating to greater than 25? Is there anything to look for?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is fine. For future reference red is locker and green is 4wd.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It is fine. For future reference red is locker and green is 4wd.
What Christian said.

Here is what it looks like engaged.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoma1 View Post
I'm new to this forum and new 4x4 owner. Second Tacoma.

Just purchased 2011 Tacoma DC 4x4. Before I drove the car off the lot there was an indicator light on which the salesman said was the 4x4 light. We cycled between 2H and 4H and the light persisted. He then instructed me to accelerate above 25mph to disengage the 4x4.

Quick jump to the end - the light wasn't 4x4 it was the Locking Diff engaged indicator.

My question: Is it possible that anything could have been damaged driving with the LD engaged on pavement and accelerating to greater than 25? Is there anything to look for?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to TW... This very same issues and same salesman lack of knowledge promted me to post the following... see the bottom image for what happened to you (remember, if it is blinking, it isn't engaged... the rear locker only works in L4, but the light blinks anytime you push the RR Locker Button):

Recently some have posted that the truck was 'stuck' in '4WD' because the light was on or blinking... only to later learn it was just the differential lock switch pushed in! That light is below the 4WD light...

The lights are different... So, I just took some photos so we all can see. Let's go through the levels of traction activation and see what it all looks like:

Normal dial position for paved roads or where traction assistance of 4WD (four wheel drive) is not needed.

The lower switch, next to mirror controls (car with skid lines below) is the VSC OFF switch. This also activates AUTO LSD when in 2WD with a quick push. Auto LSD is traction control without the engine output regulated.

This is what comes on with AUTO LSD active. The VSC OFF light goes out above 30 mph.

If you stop the truck and hold down the VSC OFF switch for 3+ seconds, VSC and TRAC both turn off for open differential(s) in H2 or H4.

Go into H4 (4WD High Range) from 0-60 mph if you need more traction because of poor conditions or off highway needs.

This is the 4WD High Range indicator light... two differentials and 4 tires. TRAC in H4 has no engine regulation, the same as AUTO LSD in H2.

For more torque to power through deep snow or mud or to climb up or down steep grades, stop truck, put tranny into N (Neutral, not Park), and rotate dial to L4.

Low Range 4WD indicator light. VSC goes off in L4 and both differentails are open.

If your 4WD Tacoma is an '09 + Off Road TRD, you have 'Active Traction Control' (A-TRAC) that provides the 'brake-locking' of any non-traction (spinning) tires front or rear for tractor like crawling/ climbing. Gives traction control while in low range. Push this switch just once when in L4 and A-TRAC will activate when-ever needed to keep moving while in L4.

A-TRAC activated light.

REAR LOCKER:

As Toyota states, use only as a last resort and turn off when out of trouble.

While in L4 (for 4WD Tacomas), press the RR DIFF LOCK switch. (I engaged it twice today while stopped)

The Rear Differential Lock indicator is the x'ed rear differential image. If it doesn't engage, or if it is pressed while in H4 or H2 (for 4WD Tacomas) it will BLINK! Remember, when locked there is no differential action to allow the tires to rotate at different speeds, as needed when turning.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmokintacoma View Post
@David K. Very very nice!! I just learned something
Thank you.. happy to help... See my link below for more details on the traction options... the truck is awesome!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Bean&Cheese Taco
tiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to all
Army: E-2   13Fox
Name: VIC
tiresmokintacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Thank you.. happy to help... See my link below for more details on the traction options... the truck is awesome!
I have a 2wd... but soon soon I will be getting me a new trd or 4x4 taco. Then I will really need all this information! But I do have a question for the RR on a 01 taco trd. Does it have to be in neutral to engage it also. Its my father in laws and he can't get it to work. It just blinks. Anything else it could be?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I have a 2wd... but soon soon I will be getting me a new trd or 4x4 taco. Then I will really need all this information! But I do have a question for the RR on a 01 taco trd. Does it have to be in neutral to engage it also. Its my father in laws and he can't get it to work. It just blinks. Anything else it could be?
For a 2wd just push it and go. Sometimes you have to turn the wheel left to right while moving to get it to lock.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
New to these parts...
GetBarelled is on a distinguished road

Name: Ry
GetBarelled's Tacoma Gallery
David K +1 rep. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Bean&Cheese Taco
tiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to all
Army: E-2   13Fox
Name: VIC
tiresmokintacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
For a 2wd just push it and go. Sometimes you have to turn the wheel left to right while moving to get it to lock.
And if it still doesn't lock what could it be? Its an 01 trd OR with only 62,xxx miles. It just blinks and blinks.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
I was just going to search this topic.

I was driving to work THIS MORNING (2 am) and there was some fog, so I decided to fire up the fog lights.

I was playing with the radio and I look up and see the red flashing 4-wheel thingy.

I say, WTF. Why is my 4WD on? I push the overhead light and see that I had pushed in the RR diff lock by mistake.

Then I'm thinking "did I F something up?"

Of course we know the answer. Off -road newbs. Sheesh...
Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Banned
Quote:
And if it still doesn't lock what could it be? Its an 01 trd OR with only 62,xxx miles. It just blinks and blinks.
Sounds like a issue with the unit.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #13

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My first Taco was an '01 with the locker... but all three of mine seemed to often take several attempts to lock the rear.

The key seems to be to have no spinning of tires, and to have no load on the tires... what I mean by load is engine torque...

In order for the locking gear to slide into the differential gear, both axles must be still or moving at the same rate (usually slowly)... Foot off the brake so if the locking gear needs to nudge the drive gears, it can.

When I went into the snow a couple weeks ago, the rear locker engaged easily at the first attempt each time I used it. When I went to the desert last weekend, it took me 6 tries to get it to engage... So, go figure!

A-TRAC is sweet, it never needs coaxing to work!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
jtacoma1 is on a distinguished road
Name: J
jtacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help. Learned a lot.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
muddog321 is on a distinguished road
muddog321's Tacoma Gallery
After reading all the posts- electric rear diff lock ONLY works in 4LO so per your initial question you could never get it to lock in 2HI or 4HI so no way to damage it.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #16

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddog321 View Post
After reading all the posts- electric rear diff lock ONLY works in 4LO so per your initial question you could never get it to lock in 2HI or 4HI so no way to damage it.
Correct... the light for thr rear locker BLINKS if you pushed the button (and doesn't engage)... no matter when you push the button.

The only time it will engage (and the light goes from blinking to solid) is when you are already in L4 (on 4WD Off Road Tacos).
Old 04-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
slidellkid is on a distinguished road
slidellkid's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt seriously there is a salesman out there that can explain this stuff to you. It's really pretty sad how little they know. Thanks for the explanation
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
DocD will become famous soon enough

DocD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks as I have been confused, should be made a sticky
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidellkid View Post
I doubt seriously there is a salesman out there that can explain this stuff to you. It's really pretty sad how little they know. Thanks for the explanation
I probably helps that I love my truck and can't use it off road enough! Christian did say it well when he blames the customer for not knowing more when they go shopping for a truck. I do think that a salesman with some energy could provide some wow factor if he did explain that the system Toyota uses provides the traaction previously requiring expensive add ons for.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
Manchu is on a distinguished road

Army: Scouts HHC 2nd battalion 9th Reg,  7Inf.
Name: Steve
Manchu's Tacoma Gallery
Well after read though the treads I think mine is different. My 07 toco will go into 4hi but when I try to go into 4lo (going slow or stopped) all that it does is beep and the 4LO light blinks.