Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hard Water Spots

Old 05-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
CharlieX is on a distinguished road
CharlieX's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Hard Water Spots

So I parked my black 07 on the street... and the city sprinklers got me overnight.... nasty waterspots. It's probably re-claimed water.... anyhow, washed the truck this weekend and you can still see the edges of the spots in bright sun (That is, if you're looking REALLY close like a new car owner does) Even tried going over them with quick detailer and microfiber cloths.

So does this mean the paint is damaged? or is this going to take a clay bar to get rid of? Things were so much simpler with my 10 year old honda....
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I would think the clay bar would be the way to go, but you may want to take it to a detail shop.

I know the feeling. My Black VW Jetta TDI showed spots like that too. I just ended up "dealing with it".
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a "new paint" issue or something that's going to be an ongoing problem? You have this problem with your Impulse Red Pearl paint?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
...You have this problem with your Impulse Red Pearl paint?
No - The Red shows dirt (mostly from road splash), but water spots are much more noticible on a black paint. I wash my truck once a week lately since it has been nasty weather and I have been driving on a ton of dirt roads in the Texas hill country.

It still looks brand new! (when I wash it. )
Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
keynote22 is on a distinguished road
keynote22's Tacoma Gallery
hard water spots are the worst to deal with. Its basically calcium = stalagtites. They sell mild acids to get it off of shower heads!! Clay bars are your only hope if they get bad until you break out the abrasives and orbital buffers. I have had great luck with zymol hd cleanse pre wax cleaner on my black car that seems to suck up water spots. If they arent bad you can polish them out or wax over them. Your best bet is to remove them with a clay bar or something like the zymol cleaner and then seal the paint with a good wax. Then, when more water gets on it, it gets on the wax and not the paint!!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
jarrod06 is on a distinguished road

jarrod06's Tacoma Gallery
you could use a little bit of rubing compound and then a coat of wax. that happend to me to and i havent had that problem as much.a good coat of wax every other month should do it.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
isusww is on a distinguished road
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
I've had good luck using White Vinegar. It has a lot of automotive uses. Check it out HERE
Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
comadude is on a distinguished road
comadude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isusww View Post
I've had good luck using White Vinegar. It has a lot of automotive uses. Check it out HERE
Yes, try vinegar.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I would think the clay bar would be the way to go, but you may want to take it to a detail shop.
Claybar works pretty good for water spots. I would say that it removed 80%
of the water spots on my truck.

PS. Claybar RULES!!!

Ted
Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
Claybar works pretty good for water spots. I would say that it removed 80%
of the water spots on my truck.

PS. Claybar RULES!!!

Ted
no doubt.....clay bar is is the way to go!!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I concur. Claybar the ish out of it. When we picked up the 4Runner and I washed her, well lets just say after 2 days of work I've got the hood done!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I concur. Claybar the ish out of it. When we picked up the 4Runner and I washed her, well lets just say after 2 days of work I've got the hood done!
was the hood just in real bad shape or what? by the time you get it done......your gonna have to post some pics man. i guarantee it will shine like no other!!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
was the hood just in real bad shape or what? by the time you get it done......your gonna have to post some pics man. i guarantee it will shine like no other!!
Water spots and swirl marks out the arse.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Water spots and swirl marks out the arse.
oh, i got ya! sweet....clay bar to the rescue! what are you polishing and waxing with, if ya dont mind me asking??
Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
The TW 1%
Right now I'm using Mothers Claybar and I'm about to go buy another one cause I killed this one on the hood. I don't know why I even bother because all I'm going to do is go out wheeling and add some Arizona pinstriping.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Right now I'm using Mothers Claybar and I'm about to go buy another one cause I killed this one on the hood. I don't know why I even bother because all I'm going to do is go out wheeling and add some Arizona pinstriping.
yeah, i use the mothers claybar too!! good stuff man!

and i gotta say hell yeah to the arizona pinstriping!!! kinda like our south carolina wallpapering!!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
south carolina wallpapering!!
I always thought that involved a stick of dynamite and a gallon of paint!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #18

Quote:
I always thought that involved a stick of dynamite and a gallon of paint!
....ahahaha,yeah, that works too,my friend!