Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

mud flaps

Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
dye18 is on a distinguished road
dye18's Tacoma Gallery
mud flaps

First off i got an 06 taco. And i know mud flaps are good and protect your car but these things don't look very good they are way to long. Just curious what other people think i should do. Should i take trim them, buy shorter ones, or just take them off? What did you guys do?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Some folks trim, many remove. Up to you, really. I haven't seen any aftermarket ones that look any better, IMO.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
read somewhere that someone trimmed by putting a piece of paper behind the flap and traced the outline, then cut the paper out and moved up 3 inches or so and retraced the outline on the flap. Then they took a dremel or other type tool and trimmed the flap higher. I think I might try this on mine eventually. 3 days after bringing mine home, had it loaded with 4 people and stuff in bed, flaps drug on a bump in my driveway. No good!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebutte View Post
To begin with I have no pictures. Mud flaps hang too low and scrape against most anything. Described below is how I modified them:

1. placed paper against interior (closest to tire) of the flap
2. paper will hang down after securing it with tape
3. Moved to outside of flap and used a marker to trace the bottom curved portion of the flap onto the paper.
4. removed the paper from the inside of the flap and cut the curved pattern I traced on the paper. You now have a sheet of paper that is approx. same size and width of flap along with the same shape (curve) of the bottom of flap
5. Place the paper on the outside of the flap and raise it however much you want to remove of the flap. I measured 3" from the bottom of the flap up.
6.with the paper taped to the flap, mark the flap with a marker using the paper as a guide. You'll end up with a nice curved line 3" above the bottom of the flap that exactly matches the curved portion of each flap
7. I used a dremel with a cutoff disc to follow the marked line on the flap
8. 3" of flap was removed and the flap still maintained the original curve at the bottom
9. remove excess pieces of rubber from the flap with fingers/file
10. I placed my truck on ramps to make access easier

Here it is.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
My front driverside flap broke off the day after I bought my truck. I was driving down dirt roads and didn't even hit any offroading or even any large bumps... I'm guessing it got heavy with wet sandy dirt then when I hit the highway with high winds it broke off??? shits WEAK
Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
REMOVE lol
IMO they look very very bad
But they will keep rocks from chipping your paint
Old 09-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
dye18 is on a distinguished road
dye18's Tacoma Gallery
ya thx im gonna try to cut them and if it doesnt work out ill just remove them
Old 09-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Why not remove two at a time, place the right over the left, up as far as you want to trim, trace with whatever you want (I suggest silver sharpie), then repeat process on the other one.

Marc M
Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
1. Trim with tinsnips.

1a. Sand edge if you are anal.

2. Enjoy adult beverage.

3. Relax.

4. Search next time.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Even with the mudflaps on, my truck had rock chips. It threw rocks all the way back to the front of the rear tirewell. Down at the bottom where there is that small piece of clear plastic that is suposed to stop rock chips... its f'd up all around it.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
Even with the mudflaps on, my truck had rock chips. It threw rocks all the way back to the front of the rear tirewell. Down at the bottom where there is that small piece of clear plastic that is suposed to stop rock chips... its f'd up all around it.

Anyone else have this problem?
Same issue here, I ended up removing the front due to a lift, and being lazy not to find a way to trim. Kept the rear's on, with a deep lug I would hate to toss a rock through someones window
Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
Stock Taco For Now

Firefighter:
After you remove the flaps did you have more of a problem with rock chips? I would like to take the front ones off but am worried.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Just playin' on the runways
MT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of light

Army: SPC(CA), Installation Support Command JFTB Los Alamitos, California State Military Reserve
Name: Clint
MT_mudflaps's Tacoma Gallery
Does my handle give ya any clue?
I like rear flaps, but I think front ones look a little silly.