Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New record DIY oil change

Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
New record DIY oil change

I consider myself a fair mechanic and do my own oil changes suspension work and some engine things.
My son needed his 09 prerunner's oil changed yesterday, so I said sure bring it by after work which is 2:30 for him.
Just an FYI. I have to be finished cleaned up and ready to leave by 4:45 for a dinner the wife and I will be attending.

No problem I picked up 3 one gallon jugs of 5-30 so I would have enough for the next time we change it.
I get a call at 3:30 he is held up in traffic by a rollover on the freeway. Allright drive safe get here when you can.
Pulls in at 3:45 no problem I think.

Tools ready as he pulls the truck in I open the oil fill to help drain, slide under the well warmed truck pull the drain plug remembering how well the oil likes to splash out of the drain pan I have the kid hold the pan close to contain it.

Nope still runs out like goose poo so we set the pan down and try to catch all the splashing oil with some rags.

I leave him to wipe up the spilled oil as I remove the filter and change it.
Carefully placing a catch can under the filter spooge drip tube.
Going great so far.

Just then the new neighbor from across the street stops by and introduces himself little chit chat, now back to work, my wife is watching this nascar like ballet of a pit stop. As I am pouring in the gallon jug of new oil she mentions it seems to be dripping out the bottom.
"Ha I say that is from our spill earlier" and continue pouring.

" Umm it seems to be really pouring out fast honey !" she casually says.

The idea that she may know what she is talking about enters my head.
I stop pouring it was almost all in anyway and looked under.
Stupid drain plug still on the floor and the pan was quickly aproaching the brim!!!!!

Got the plug in and gave myself a firm dope slap to the back of my head.
O.K. no problem I have extra oil cause I planned ahead.
Slowly filling and checking the dip stick we complete the fill start it up and back away from the completely full pan.

I instruct my son to hold the empy jug and funnel and I will use a small cup to transfer the oil into the jug to lessen the B.P. like mess we had already.

Got the pan about 1/3 empty and the jug was full so I asked the kid to grab the other jug and we continued pouring the oil from the pan into the jug which quickly over filled ??????

This was strange but I figured it out as I noticed the third jug was empty, Yes he grabbed the 2nd jug which had the last of the new oil in it. In our haste to pour the old oil into the empty we poured it into the 3/4 full new oil jug, This quickly over flowed the jug. Now we filled up the last empty jug.

More clean up and simple green all around.

The record was not for time, not by any means, but most oil needed to change 5.5 quarts.
12 quarts required!!! Glad it was not SYN. that would have made me cry.( I made a note of this new amount required in the owners manual )

Pulled the truck out put away all the stuff hopped in the shower and was ready to go out with 2 min. to spare.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great story. Glad you got done in time!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
That was funny!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Funny story. We've all had days like that.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
JDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDeLuca's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like something that would happen to me!! Great story. Reminded me of when I was 18, had a 67 Chevelle, oil filter fit into a metal canister. One day I was changing the oil, my sister had to go out, I was blocking the driveway. I was rushing, got done let her out, forgot to put the oil filter in the canister.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
That sux. I feel your pain...I was in a hurry once and didn't clean up the oil filter seal. Had I checked/cleaned like normal, I would have noticed the old filter gasket was stuck to the truck, so I tightened the new filter down on the old gasket. The nice steady oil drip when test running the engine clued me in. Only a $5 new oil filter though, not the gallons you lost.