Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5 Speed Manual Transmission Fluid

Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
5 Speed Manual Transmission Fluid

Yes I tried searching, didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm planning on changing out all the fluids on my 2006 2.7L 5 Speed 4x4 when the weather gets a little warmer and had a question about what brand of transmission fluid to use.

In my old Jeeps I had to be careful what brand of fluid I used because of the brass synchro's in the trans. Wrong kind and they'd get eaten. The other problem I found when I switched was that once the weather got cold the fluid took forever to warm up and was like shifting through concrete.

So my questions are what fluid are you guys in cold weather areas using? And do our transmissions have brass synchro's I should be worried about? Tried 2 or 3 different kinds in my Jeep, don't feel like doing that again, got expensive. Only want to have to do this once.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Any 75W-90 GL4 would be best on a budget, but I spent a little more and went with Redline MT-90 which is GL4 for the brass synchros. It isn't the brand you need to be careful of but the weight and type such as 75W-90 and GL specs. Shifts in the cold got much easier for me. Most synthetics are more one and done solutions, but don't be worried about the brand as much. Change more often if you go with the regular stuff, but even that lasts a long time.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
I used the MT-90 in the Jeep and it was pretty good, also used Penzoil Syncromesh. The MT-90 was definitely better but a pain in the ass to get. I'm not worried about being on a budget, I just don't want to have to change good stuff after 6000 miles because trying to go into first gear feels like I'm going to break the shifter off in January.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Truckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud ofTruckn4life has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
Truckn4life's Tacoma Gallery
i used Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic. driven almost a 1,000mi with it. no problems. shifts great on a cold morning. as in -15 out n the middle of the night and the truck has sat for a full 8hrs.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Do the transmissions not take atf now-a-days. Haven't used gear oil in a manual tranny in a couple decades. Made the mistake once of putting 90 in a t-5, had to disassemble it.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
Do the transmissions not take atf now-a-days. Haven't used gear oil in a manual tranny in a couple decades. Made the mistake once of putting 90 in a t-5, had to disassemble it.
This is a gear oil only transmission. BMW and some American cars take forms of ATF in manuals.

I have always had to order MT-90 and it comes in the mail no problem. It takes about 2.3qts so you need 3 and a pump.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm.. looked around and couldn't easily find it. The 6 speed might take it. they added some several quarts of it to my engine repair bill, might have drained the transmission/transfer case.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
So I'm planning to (finally) change out the fluids on the truck this weekend and can't seem to find Valvoline full synthetic anywhere. All they have is dino oil. Only synthetic they seem to have is Mobil1 LS. Pretty sure the Mobil1 is GL-5 which I don't think I should be putting into the transmission. Any thoughts or experience? How the hell can it be so hard to find freakin gear oil?!?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
I have always had to purchase oils online. That way you get what you want and don't waste gas driving around trying to find what you want.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
I have always had to purchase oils online. That way you get what you want and don't waste gas driving around trying to find what you want.
X2. Here it is.
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear 98W573 1 99.30
Oil LS 75W-90 / 12 Quart
Case
Subtotal 99.30
Shipping 15.67
Tax 0.00
Total 114.97
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
Great, yeah that's not gonna be happening. Considering I gotta do it this weekend not exactly time for a delivery.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I used Redline MT-90 when I did mine. It only helped a little in colder weather (25-35*F), but I'm happy to have a good synthetic in there nonetheless. The Redline website has a search for local retailers. There is one small shop about 40 miles from me.