Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Double Cab w/ Roof Rack..

Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (2T2X1)Air Force Rigger
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Double Cab w/ Roof Rack..

Im trying to find Tacomas on here that have Roof racks.. so if you have a 06-09 Double cab with a roof rack please post a pic in here with Brand and cost... Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Or Thule

Thule 400XT Foot Pak
Load Bars LB60
2160 Fit kit
872xt Fairing
Cost $250 installed 05/2007 at Rack Warehouse (its an online company close to my house!)
Rack stays on all year & absolutely love it, no issues. More pics in my gallery.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont know.. i have seen one on here but now i cant find it.. i want something that goes more with the body line of the truck.. doesnt really stick off anywhere
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Thule Is a rocking product too> The reason I did not buy a Thule is because of the square cross bars...for instance with the round yakima bars you can just fold down your ski rack so they dont hurt gas mileage as bad. The one complaint i do have with Yakima is the pads on the bottom of the Q towers that sit on the roof. my rack stays on all year too and with all the weather etc it seams like the rubber material they are made of breaks down a little bit so when you do take the rack off it leaves some of that rubber behind. The plus with that is when you go to reinstall.....no measuring!!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
I dont know.. i have seen one on here but now i cant find it.. i want something that goes more with the body line of the truck.. doesnt really stick off anywhere
Pretty much the factory rack is the only one I know of that follows the lines of the truck. The crossbars fold in. Oh and it only fits on the doublecab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Thule Is a rocking product too> The reason I did not buy a Thule is because of the square cross bars...for instance with the round yakima bars you can just fold down your ski rack so they dont hurt gas mileage as bad. The one complaint i do have with Yakima is the pads on the bottom of the Q towers that sit on the roof. my rack stays on all year too and with all the weather etc it seams like the rubber material they are made of breaks down a little bit so when you do take the rack off it leaves some of that rubber behind. The plus with that is when you go to reinstall.....no measuring!!
Yeah I take my footpaks off on occasion to clean underneath & do a safety check. I don't keep my J-hooks on when my kayaks aren't up there & keep my skis & snowboards under my tonneau, but know what you mean about keep down the wind resistance.

I picked Thule because I had the J hooks from a previous setup. I have used the hooks with a friend's yakima without any problems tho, they are nice racks as well.

I see Thule now sells foldable J hooks for some outrageous price....$165 a pair..... It takes like 2 mins to put em on & off. I had got mine much cheaper off craigslist.

Maybe somebody knows another rack other than OEM?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
Sticks For Troops

What is the weight restricitions on the Toyota Roof Rack.. ?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Sticks For Troops

Quote:
the two best racks on TW...

Made by Kasey200
and the other best!!!
i dont care for the metal rack with the lights..

or the beads that interfer with the other rack
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AFTacoma View Post
i dont care for the metal rack with the lights..
There was a metal rack with lights in that picture???
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #12
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably look at the factory rack, though I think they're pretty ugly. The Thule and Yakima towers that clip to the door frame WILL damage the door frame, and if the rack gets torn off of your truck while driving into a parking structure or something along those lines with low clearance it could get even uglier than that factory rack. I just put a topper on mine, and got the Yakima roof rack option built into it.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
I'd probably look at the factory rack, though I think they're pretty ugly. The Thule and Yakima towers that clip to the door frame WILL damage the door frame, and if the rack gets torn off of your truck while driving into a parking structure or something along those lines with low clearance it could get even uglier than that factory rack. I just put a topper on mine, and got the Yakima roof rack option built into it.
So what if it rips it off your topper??? Isn't it the same height as the cab, in which case the rack would still be at the same mounted height.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So what if it rips it off your topper??? Isn't it the same height as the cab, in which case the rack would still be at the same mounted height.
There will just be damage to the topper, not my door frames, which I can live with

I had a Corolla years ago with the Yakima towers that clip into the door frames, when I tried to take the rack off to sell the Corolla, the frames were bent, scratched to hell, and rusted where the towers clipped in, so I just left it on there when I sold it. It made all sorts of wind noise at the doors too, which I couldn't stand.

I have a friend with those same towers on his 4Runner. He drove into his garage with his bike on the rack... did all sorts of damage to the door frames, screwing up the seal so that water leaks in now. I'd never put them on a truck if there were other options, but that's just me.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #15
Aspiring wrench monkey

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I was just looking at... there are holes under the rubber strips in the roof for mounting the Toyota rack, is it possible to mount the Yakima control towers using those instead of something like the Q Towers (ones that clip onto the door)? If that's a possibility, I'd look at doing that.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Yeah I guess there is a possibility of those "ah crap" moments. I don't park my truck in my garage so that won't be a problem & I have driven my truck into plenty of parking structures with nothing getting torn off. Most places have a sign limiter hanging prior to entering, or at least the ones I use frequently. When the kayaks are mounted, I am not around any garages.

I have use Thule products on all the toyota trucks I've owned without any door damage as I keep them maintained so it prevents the issue. I check em frequently to make sure they are still tight & clean the rubber with silicone, wax the roof. Its part of routine maintenance for me. Granted having the channels on top of your shell/cap takes a lot less maintenance for I have had a thule setup like that too. Having the rack on the shell is a nice option for sure.

Quote:
One thing I was just looking at... there are holes under the rubber strips in the roof for mounting the Toyota rack, is it possible to mount the Yakima control towers using those instead of something like the Q Towers (ones that clip onto the door)? If that's a possibility, I'd look at doing that.

I did see a guy on another toyota forum mount q towers using the factory spots under the rubber strip. It looked pretty good imo.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Back view:

Front view:

Marc M
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Factory roof rack works well for me. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it? Anyone else agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Double Cab w/ Roof Rack..-tacoma-4.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Factory roof rack works well for me. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it? Anyone else agree?

Agree! I like how the crossbars fold in. My truck was a leftover, no rack & I had most of the thule from before so I opted that way. Nice setups everybody.