Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD OR front hooks

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
TRD OR front hooks

Could anyone enlighten me on why there are 2 types of hooks on the front of my tacoma TRD OR?

So far, I have used only the smaller ''U'' shaped one for taking people out the ditch or unstuck them. Even once, a guy was so deeply stuck in the snow, that I had to violently rock his vehicle out, also using the ''U'' shaped hook, and it held very well the abuse.

So, if the ''U'' shaped hook does the job and is solid enough, why do I also have a bigger ''L'' shaped hook on the other side?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
The "U" shaped 'hook' is supposed to be a tie-down point for the truck for transport. Everything I've heard here and in the owner's manual says that it's not supposed to be used for recovery purposes.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
The "U" shaped 'hook' is supposed to be a tie-down point for the truck for transport. Everything I've heard here and in the owner's manual says that it's not supposed to be used for recovery purposes.
Oops!!! Thank you for the warning.

Anybody know if that is for security purpose or frame damage purpose?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
In reading these forums I have seen several threads where people have ripped them off using them for recovery.

I'd use the passenger side.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt it would cause frame damage, but there is a danger of that loop breaking, since it isn't made for recovery.

If you want a reliable front recovery point there is a thread somewhere on here to buy a really beefy one, but I cannot find it..
Old 03-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
The OR has a recovery hook on the front passenger side. It is heavily built and securely bolted to the frame. The one suggested by StandingCow is one that a forum member built for the Sport. As has been suggested elsewhere, if you're going to pull another vehicle which is stuck, you're better off pulling in a forward direction, not in reverse. If you don't already have one, get a shackle mount for the rear hitch.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
The OR has a recovery hook on the front passenger side. It is heavily built and securely bolted to the frame. The one suggested by StandingCow is one that a forum member built for the Sport. As has been suggested elsewhere, if you're going to pull another vehicle which is stuck, you're better off pulling in a forward direction, not in reverse. If you don't already have one, get a shackle mount for the rear hitch.
Excellent advice about the rear mount, I'll pass by my local trailer retailer a d get one of those.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
mustangwilly's Tacoma Gallery
I had 10 of these made but I sold all of them. If I can get more people interested in these I can get more made.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...very-loop.html
Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwilly View Post
I had 10 of these made but I sold all of them. If I can get more people interested in these I can get more made.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...very-loop.html
if you get another batch going count me in!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
You can get the OR tow hook. If you look um my name and tow hook or recovery or something, you'll find the part number.

Nothin like OEM.