Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mud flap lenght

Old 03-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Mud flap lenght

I know there is a lot of threads on here about how long the mud flaps are but I just detailed my truck and the wife's car today, and noticed just how close to the ground the front mud flaps were. So just for the heck of it I grabbed my tape measure from the tool box and my fronts are only 4 1/2 inches from the ground! I had not really looked that closely as I have only had the truck for 5 weeks today. I looked at my wife's car, 2011 Honda Accord and noticed the little gaurds on her fenders looked to have more clearance than mine, so I went and measured hers and hers were 6 inches from the ground! I didn't even think her car sat 6 inches off the ground. Nice job Toyota. How the hell is it that a family car has more clearance than my 4x4 Yota? I knew they were long but damn! I think I will trim mine one of these days, at least the front anyway. The rear of course has the 4x4 printed on them and it looks like the writing may be right about where I might want to trim them. Anyone else ran into this? Did you trim above the writing?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
I trimmed mine because they used to hit going over my front curb. I did a mild trim an took only about 2 inches off. I measured the rear and cut the fronts to match. I used a tip found here in the forum...I traced the curve of one side of the flap on cardboard, then used that to trace the corners so they still have the factory look. A dremel with a cut-off wheel did the rest.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of people just take them off. If you do any kind of off roading, they will be taken off for you. I have not messed with mine. I sometimes drag them over a high speed bump or a high curb, but they flex and are ok. I don't really off road, so don't really have to worry about them that much.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
DCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I know there is a lot of threads on here about how long the mud flaps are but I just detailed my truck and the wife's car today, and noticed just how close to the ground the front mud flaps were. So just for the heck of it I grabbed my tape measure from the tool box and my fronts are only 4 1/2 inches from the ground! I had not really looked that closely as I have only had the truck for 5 weeks today. I looked at my wife's car, 2011 Honda Accord and noticed the little gaurds on her fenders looked to have more clearance than mine, so I went and measured hers and hers were 6 inches from the ground! I didn't even think her car sat 6 inches off the ground. Nice job Toyota. How the hell is it that a family car has more clearance than my 4x4 Yota? I knew they were long but damn! I think I will trim mine one of these days, at least the front anyway. The rear of course has the 4x4 printed on them and it looks like the writing may be right about where I might want to trim them. Anyone else ran into this? Did you trim above the writing?
I trimmed the fronts 3in and left the backs stock because of the winter here in Reno but might take them off in the summer, I used tin snips and sanded the edge and it looks like factory.