1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud flap lenght

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoDawgfan, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mar 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I know there is a lot of threads on here about how long the mud flaps are but I just detailed my truck and the wife's car today, and noticed just how close to the ground the front mud flaps were. So just for the heck of it I grabbed my tape measure from the tool box and my fronts are only 4 1/2 inches from the ground! I had not really looked that closely as I have only had the truck for 5 weeks today. I looked at my wife's car, 2011 Honda Accord and noticed the little gaurds on her fenders looked to have more clearance than mine, so I went and measured hers and hers were 6 inches from the ground!:rolleyes: I didn't even think her car sat 6 inches off the ground. Nice job Toyota. :eek: How the hell is it that a family car has more clearance than my 4x4 Yota? I knew they were long but damn! I think I will trim mine one of these days, at least the front anyway. The rear of course has the 4x4 printed on them and it looks like the writing may be right about where I might want to trim them. :rolleyes: Anyone else ran into this? Did you trim above the writing?

2. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I trimmed mine because they used to hit going over my front curb. I did a mild trim an took only about 2 inches off. I measured the rear and cut the fronts to match. I used a tip found here in the forum...I traced the curve of one side of the flap on cardboard, then used that to trace the corners so they still have the factory look. A dremel with a cut-off wheel did the rest.

3. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Alot of people just take them off. If you do any kind of off roading, they will be taken off for you. I have not messed with mine. I sometimes drag them over a high speed bump or a high curb, but they flex and are ok. I don't really off road, so don't really have to worry about them that much.

4. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    DCW

DCW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DC Off Road
    TRD exhaust, front skidplate,5100s@1.75
    I trimmed the fronts 3in and left the backs stock because of the winter here in Reno but might take them off in the summer, I used tin snips and sanded the edge and it looks like factory.

Products Discussed in

To Top