Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Off Road in 4x2 WTF

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off Road in 4x2 WTF

Why would anyone waste their money buying a TRD Off Road package in a 4x2. To me it makes no sense at all. I mean if you are going to make it into a off road racing vehicle then you would be changing everything TRD out anyway. Such as: totally new suspension(front and rear), wheels, tires and axle. WTF- I mean if its the decals you want then save the thousands of dollars on the TRD package and spend a couple bucks on decals.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
theres alot more that comes with a TRD besides the suspension including

-locker (Youll spend 800-1k trying to install one separately)
-seats
-fog lights
-color matched parts
-bed outlet
-temperature gauges
-etc
-plus the convenience of having it all installed already, rather than trying to do it on your own.

lots of people dont need the 4x and do fine without it. Im sure some people on this forum believe that its a waste to buy a truck with 160HP, its all a matter of convenience and personal fit. Not everyone buying a TRD Offroad is going to race the Baja 1000, some just buy it for its style.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post

-seats
-fog lights
-color matched parts
-bed outlet
-temperature gauges
-etc
-plus the convenience of having it all installed already, rather than trying to do it on your own.

lots of people dont need the 4x and do fine without it. Im sure some people on this forum believe that its a waste to buy a truck with 160HP, its all a matter of convenience and personal fit. Not everyone buying a TRD Offroad is going to race the Baja 1000, some just buy it for its style.

x2.

Also, I may be sensing a ...

Old 03-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
bcb97 is on a distinguished road
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
I just bout a '11 Prerunner with the TRD Off Road package and love it. I live in East Tennessee and although we do see some snow/ice, it doesn't occur regularly. I used to own a Chevy 4x4 but I could count the times I've used 4x4 on one hand...and thats going back 4 or 5 years. I like to hunt and so yes my truck will see some off road but if I have to go really deep in the woods i'll just hop on my 4wheeler. I'll always keep a good set of A/T's on it and with the locking rear differential i'll be just fine for what I do off road. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a $27K truck rock crawling or going through a 4' mud hole. If I wanted to do that I would just buy a old 4x4 toyota and put a decent suspension lift and tires on it and go for it.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post

-seats
-fog lights
-color matched parts
-bed outlet
-temperature gauges
-etc

My point is why call the trim package TRD Off Road if it is not 4wd. It should be refered to as TRD Sport.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #8

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
Did you research before posting? Shame.
The shame is on your my friend. How in your right mind can you refer to a vehicle package as a TRD Off Road if its not 4wd. You can put whatever spin you want on your philosophy to justify it but the bottom line is for true off roading you need 4wd. I have no issues with calling it a TRD Sport

Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #9

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rear locker vs bling on sport.
Toyota's rear locker isnt all its cracked up to be and without the 4wd its not going to help out a whole lot with real offroading. Now if you have a built 2wd with a true locked axle (possi rear like detroit locker or air locker) which you can run at any speed along with a beefed up suspension which can clear 35" tires then you may have something.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
The shame is on your my friend. How in your right mind can you refer to a vehicle package as a TRD Off Road if its not 4wd. You can put whatever spin you want on your philosophy to justify it but the bottom line is for true off roading you need 4wd. I have no issues with calling it a TRD Sport
They can call it a TRD Off Road PreRunner because it has everything the 4x4 has without the 4x4...and they call those PreRunners.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with OP, it sure is silly. I would never be caught driving a 2wd truck in any trim/package level.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
#1 Member
Tacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud ofTacofanatic05' has much to be proud of

Name: Hunter
Tacofanatic05''s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
I agree with OP, it sure is silly. I would never be caught driving a 2wd truck in any trim/package level.
x2!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
Go and do some real offroading with your 2wd and its electric locker and stock setup and then report back to me.
I gotta ask, why even start this shitstorm? If you don't like the TRD Off Road Pre-Runner, don't buy one, end of story... The guys on the west coast don't have the same conditions we have in New England and can get away without 4wd. If you can propery wheel your vehicle, you can make due without 4wd in a lot of situations, especially with a locker.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
OP, you have a base model 4x4, following your logic you shouldn't be taking your truck off pavement because its not an "offroad" version.

Christ man, it's just a name, and a marketing gimmick. To some people the features matter, some people bought it for show. Toyota realizes that they can get some people to spend more money on a truck for the "offroad" badge.

It's business, if you don't like it, don't fall for the advertising

Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
Infantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfantry11b is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Former Active Duty 10th Mtn Div. now Army National Guard HHC 2/108 Infantry
Infantry11b's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I'm sure there are plenty of V6 Tacoma owners that think your 4 cylinder truck is worthless too. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
I have a prerunner (fake TRD no locker) and it handled awesome on the trails this weekend... Don't get me wrong I wish o had a 4x4 but since I don't have a money tree growing in my back yard a prerunner is all I could afford.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
4 cylinder =

Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #20

Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just because you drive a 4wd you guys feel superior and expert? Like you guys never get stuck.lol .Big time arrogance. You have the my truck is better than yours attitude. Shame.
Wrong. All Im saying is that you have to use the right tool for the right job. your not going to use a little bobcat to clear an acre when you could use a full size front loader.

Closed Thread