Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Combine Body Lift with Suspension Lift

Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Combine Body Lift with Suspension Lift

Hey folks,

So I put a spacer on the front of my truck and the AAL (ProComp) on the back when I went to 285/70/17s. Well, my tires rub so bad and, my sliders periodically knock on my body, so I was considering adding a 2" body lift to get more clearance and wanted to get your thoughts.

I know body lifts are cheesy and I plan on upgrading to UCAs and Kings when I get my next gold brick, but I need to get the clearance.

I know most body lifts are cheap nylon, but I understand someone makes a better aluminum with one bigger diameter spacers. I assume you still leave the factory rubber spacers in place when adding a lift.

Is this acceptable? Does anyone have any examples, advice or horror stories?

RZ Rob

Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I have known people in the past to cut steel pipe to make thier own body lifts. I dont know why they make them out of nylon?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
All I can say is what I assume everyone else will say: Wait, spend the extra cash, and do it right the first time around.

I am waiting for the $ to do long travel, and do it right. I hate the unbalanced look of the stock Tacoma (front lower than rear), but I'm just going to wait until I can do it properly.

How much trimming have you done? You should be able to make 285/70's clear with some careful trimming... the tire isn't big enough to require a body mount chop.
Also, where are you rubbing? Are you sure a body lift would even help that?

How do you like the Leer 180? I will be buying myself the contractor model 180 ASAP.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't be rubbing that bad with that setup. What is the backspacing of your rims?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Shouldn't be rubbing that bad with that setup. What is the backspacing of your rims?
Rubs ridiculously bad if turning over a bump at 5 mph. Back spacing is 4.5". I'm thinking body lift will stay even after proper suspension lift. I've got serious clearance issues.

Rob
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
thats strange your rubbing bad. Im running 285/75/16 and only rub if im at full lock going in reverse.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Have you trimmed at all?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #9

RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Have you chopped your cab mount?
It's rubbing my flares. In fact the driver side got torn off. I was going to glass, but the forum seems to think that's not cool. I just want to know if there's anything wrong with going for a 2" lift?

RZ Rob