1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I remove drivers kick panel??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rondi, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mar 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    rondi

rondi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    N ID
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC 4x4 TRD Sport
    I'm trying to hook up my Brake Controller and I can't see the trucks connector above the kick panel, so it must be behind it. I've pulled off the foot rest, unscrewed the bolt which holds the kick panel under the foot rest. So the forward end is loose. I've lifted up the front of the sill, but i can't loosen the rear of the kick plate.

I looks like a plastic part of the toe kick, is holding it to a metal bracket close to the top, just inside. I can't free that strap with a long screwdriver. I've already stretched it--i can see, and i certainly don't want to break it.

any help will be appreciated,
    Ron

2. Mar 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    You first need to remove the "scuff plate" or sill. It pulls straight up out of about 8 snap-in pins, Start at the back, then work your way forward. You don't need tools. The forward end of the scuff plate captures the "Cowl Side Trim" or kick plate.

You already have the footrest off and the clip for the cowl side trim removed. The cowl side trim is held in by that clip and 2 snap-in fasteners at the edge of the door. Lift the cowl side trim off the threaded stud in the floor and pull it straight back. No tools.

When you reinstall that cowl, make sure the little metal clips didn't stay behind in their mounts. If so, remove them and place them back on the cowl or it won't reconnect properly.

I had to remove all this stuff when I installed the factory tow package wiring harness. It isn't difficult.

Also see: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/1475-05-drl-daytime-running-lights-install-oem.html

3. Mar 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    rondi

rondi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    N ID
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Terry--thanks much for the reply. I had done all you said to do, but there is something holding the kick panel from coming rearward. It feels to me like it is being held in 1 spot, very close to the top and probably with that "strap". The kick panel has to be removable--but not by me pulling it backwards. maybe something changed for 2011???

So when all else fails---RFM!!! In my 2011 owners manual on page 224 is a description & a drawing where the Service Connector is. It is towards the rear and above the top edge of the kick panel, taped to a big wiring bundle---facing the outside of the truck. I could not see it, but i felt around for it--and sure enough---it was there.

I'm writing the following--just in case someone with a 2011 with Factory Tow Package wants to install a Brake Controller. Hopefully if they search this forum they'll find this thread.

And for what it's worth-- I'll probably install the controller in the pocket above the gas pedal. a nicer install would be in the center pocket in front of the shifter--but that will require more disassembly and splicing an extension into the Taco to controller harness.

I looked at the link/pix of the kick panel. Mine could be the same thing--but it really does not want to be removed. I looked down from the top, in the 1/2" opening and i saw what looked like plastic being stretched--kinda of a lighter color where it was stretched, and i thought--this isn't right. so i stopped. maybe the metal clippies are extra strong on my rig. Thanks for posting the link/pix.

Ron

4. Mar 9, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    Gadget

Gadget Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 DC TRD
    Ron, who has probably fixed it by now, so for everyone who hasn't,
    I have a 2012 DCLB the kicker panel had the same trouble. Just get a hold of the outside and inside of the panel itself, and with a quick jerk pull strait toward the bed of the truck. If you pull slow it won't work, the clips are strong so you will need to give it a good tug (more than what you would expect).
    Good luck all.:D

rageandlove likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top