1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

30000 mile service

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flygirl, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    flygirl

flygirl [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab
    I'm coming up on my 30,000 service & was just quoted $525......I asked what I'm paying for & does it really cost that much for fluid changes/tire rotation/filter changes ? I also want to know if anyone here has had their spark plugs changed at 15,000. I've had 6 toyotas over the years & never had my spark plugs changed untill I was over 50,000. it sounded like a scam back then & I regret not addressing the issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Your paying for mostly labor, and don't take this the wrong way, because your female. Do you do any work on your truck yourself? There are write ups pretty much on everything on here and give you a step by step how too with pictures.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I was quoted about $350 +/- for my 30,000 mile service and I basically told them they're nuts. $525 is ridiculous... I changed the front/rear diff fluid and x-fer case oil myself, rotated my own tires and waited until 40,000 to change my plugs. In parts and oils I spent about $150 and spend about 1/2 a day in the garage. It can go quicker if you've done it before and work steady but I was doing other stuff at the same time while waiting for oils to drain. The plugs looked pretty good at 40,000 miles but the driver side plug gaps were 25% larger than they were new. Probably didn't need to be changed but I've got a rough idle and wanted to see if it'd help.

4. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    flygirl

flygirl [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab
    I don't have any problem getting my hands dirty, I have lifetime oil changes but should I attempt to drain my fluids ...not a youngster anymore....

I married my tacoma likes this.
  5. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That $525 didn't even include an oil change?!?! :eek: The differentials are easy, just a drain and refill job. Make sure you get the correct fluid, some require an additive if you have LSD (there will be a sticker on the differential itself). Same with the x-fer case. Just takes a little time but there's nothing overly difficult about it. Check your air and cabin filters and replace if necessary. My cabin air filter looked horrible at 40,000 miles. I'd read Chris4x4's write-up for spark plugs and you can determine if you are comfortable changing them. The process is fairly simple and straight forward, just make sure you have the correct tools (specifically ratchet extensions since the driver side is a little tight and don't forget a torque wrench). There should be DIY write-ups for the differential changes also. Lastly, rotating your tires is easy if you have the jack and stands. I use a 3 ton floor jack and a pair of stands to get one side of the truck off the ground, then just swap the wheels front to back.

6. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    I was quoted over $600, so im going to do this this coming weekend, ill let you know how it goes.

7. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Diff fluid is even easier than changing oil, but you gotta get under the truck.

As others have said there are write ups for everything that make it really easy. Plus you will feel good about saving some $$$.

8. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Dealership service is always a rip off. That's how dealerships survive. They may next to nothing on the sale of new vehicles. I always keep that in mind when I'm thinking about having dealer service done. And then I don't take it there. :)

9. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got 2 very large chain dealerships within a couple miles of each other and they compete tooth and nail so the prices for service are actually pretty decent! One of them offered $10 oil changes for a few months :eek:. Nothing like good 'ol competition to keep 'em honest. Unfortunately that was short lived and they're back to their original prices now...

10. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    do it all yourself to ensure it is done right and save money in the process. Its a win win

Blockhead likes this.
  11. Mar 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    09slvrtaco

09slvrtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DC LB PreRunner Sport
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Weather Tech's, Tint, AFE air filter, 5100's on all four corners, front set at 0, Eibach coils, tsb spring
    I just got my 30k done this weekend. At first it was quoted $300+. I ended up buying my own oil, fitler and AFE dry air filter. Oil and filter was $35 and air filter was $70. They said I didn't need spark plugs yet and they changed out the rearend fluid. I also had my tires balanced and rotated. Long and short it cost me $134 for them + 35 oil and 70 for the filter. Total of $239. I thought this was pretty good.

12. Mar 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm surprised they said you don't need plugs yet... what does your manual say (not sure if it's different from '07 to '09)? You should have done the rear differential yourself and saved a little more since you were already doing the oil change. It's a simple process and would have saved you another $30-40.

13. Mar 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars

Flygirl, had mine done at 35K( I now have 44) and I did not take it to a dealer, I used my long time mechanics for my S.O.'s Subaru, they usually do Subaru only but now do Toyota's. The are top flight mechanics and I asked them the exact same question , so being tight with one of the service managers at a dealer near Boston, they called to see what was absolutely necessary.
    The reply was , I could skip the plugs(which I think is ridiculous in a modern engine= 30K) but do all the fluid changes, brake, oil,coolant, trans etc, filters (air, cabin , oil) and what ever else it entails. I believe my cost was under $280.
    While it is costly changing of fluids is beneficial to the truck in the long run.

My next question is when the plugs are changed, does anyone use anything other than the stock Toyota plugs? I see plugs used on auto TV shows that will last a 100,000...so I wonder.
    Jeff, 06, V6 , SR5 , 6spd Radiant Red

14. Jun 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Ok, got this service done yesterday and could have done the rear did myself, but honestly I did not feel like doing it.

I paid $151.00

For rear diff fluid change, grease the zerks on the driveshaft, new air filter, new cabin filter, oh and $30.00 for an oil and filter change. Total -$181.00

I have purchased several toyotas from this dealer and have never had an issue yet with their service. My truck is a 2010 and has not given me so much as a hiccup. All I have done is change the oil/filter have Discount tire rotate tires and balance when needed. And just take excellent care of it. So the $$$ was well spent IMHO and it appears the work was done for less than what others on here have paid dealerships.

Yes, I know I probably could have saved a few bucks doing the work myself...after all was complete, I was fine with the bill, seemed fair to me.

I had this same service quoted by another local Toyota dealership at $350.00...so there you have it. Find a dealership that will treat you right.

Cheers!

15. Jun 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Save the environmentby reading your manual? :confused:

Also failing to see the correlation to changing your underwear. Maybe a Florida thing? :notsure:

16. Jun 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I found some NGK Iridium Spark Plugs for the V6 online and at Advance Auto Parts. They should last 100k-115k miles, I'll be going with those when it's time to change. Don't understand why they put standard copper plugs in the V6 but put Iridium in the 4 cylinders????:confused:

17. Jun 9, 2012 at 5:02 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Pugga....I agree, the changing your underwear comparison is a little on the creepy side...:D lol! Just an observation...lol!

And companies that lease work trucks/vehicles will never give a damm about any long term warranty.....just an observation.

These are all things I am capable of doing myself, and probably will once I am out of warranty. But for now, I have a
    decent and honest service manager who read right off the computer scene what I actually needed done for my 30k.

Having some local mechanic who may or may not know torque specs on a Toyota is not even a consideration. True,,,much of the 30k is look and inspect, with exception of fluids and air filters.
    A local "wrench" who does not work on Toyotas day in and day out may overlook something that I may need to know about. I just don't have the time to
    let someone learn as they go on my truck while "building trust."

Owned Toys since I bought my first brandy new 1989 4x4 xtracab....change the oil and have the service that is recommended by a reputable dealer's service dept.

No expert on Toyotas here, and will never claim to be, but I have learned a few things over the years and models i have owned. The best truck built IMHO, resale value on Tacos says it all.

Cheers!

I will do the work before that ever happens.

18. Jun 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The guys above that have had their 30k miles service at $350+ was for more than just a rear diff fluid change. Overall, you didn't do too bad though. The rear diff oils are expensive and the cabin and air filters are expensive at dealership prices. I believe the $350 30k mile service is for the front and rear diffs, x-fer case and oil change. I've never seen just a rear diff fluid and air filter change cost $350.

19. Jun 9, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    You might not be happy with those plugs - most folks end up going back to stock plugs. These engines seem to like the OEM the best

20. Jun 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I read on here that the V6 doesn't like spark plugs other than denso or NGK.....I'll give them a shot and see. If they don't work out I'll be going back to OEM

Products Discussed in

To Top