1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

short antenna

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by inouk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    inouk

inouk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks so much guys! :)

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Just bend it backward 90* at the roofline, you will get the needed clearance and still have radio reception. But if you care about appearance or image, you might want to follow the other advice here.

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    bobkatdirect

bobkatdirect New Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. May 29, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    although this was a year ago, I'm not getting how to take the ball part off. I was looking at mine and it looks as if the ball end is part of the antenna entirely.

5. May 29, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    It does look like it's a part of the antenna but will come off with some "coaxing". I used an adjustable wrench and closed it down till it was just larger than the shaft of the antenna and the tapped it against the ball and it came off. Cut to length and then press ball back on. :thumbsup:

6. May 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    whopper

whopper 2016 MGM 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma double cab 4x4 MGM
    On going
    Knock the ball off the end and cut it off to desired length replace ball $0.00 might take a lil grinding to get the ball back on then plastic dip.done!
    Its easy i did it in 15 mins

7. Jul 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    go8soccer

go8soccer Memba

Member:
    Grovetown, GA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Super White DC LB Prerunner Sport
    Leaf TSB, front Billie 5100's (1.75"), 265x70x17 BFG Rugged Terrain
    How in the world did you get that ball off? I've got the antenna cut to length but am stuck with the ball :confused:

8. Jul 8, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    I only got up to taking the antenna off :( the ball part is a :rant::rant::rant: that thing is on there!

9. Jul 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    wudbuchr

wudbuchr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linnie
    Lexington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 (7128A) BBP 4x2 - TRD Sport Access Cab
    * Clear Bra (full front) * BBP (8T0) Side Body Molding * Tinted Windows with AWS window shades * Romik Running Boards * Color matched Undercover Lux bed cap and BedRug bed liner * MobTown Locking bed storage doors, Tailgate skin and cap * Chrome Tailgate Script lettering * G-Tec Fab Door Sill Protectors and OEM Mud Guards * Fumoto Valve * ScanGauge-II * LED Interior, Stop, tail, Bed, OPT7 LED H11 low beam and fog lights * WeatherTech floor mats * Clazzio seat Covers * Removed jump-seats & rear seat-belts * Sound deadened back wall, rear posts, rear doors and front doors with a layer of RAAMmat, a layer of Ensolite, and a layer of EzCool * Insulated the roof with two layers of EzCool * GT series Image Dynamics speakers (6x9 fronts, 6.5 rears) * Audio Control DQ-61 DSP, 5-channel amplifier and sub woofer. * Redline Tuning Quick Lift Elite hood struts * Thinkware F770 (Dual) Dashcam with Cellink Battery B * Lexus SmartKey Transmitter and Emergency Key
    I just took 14 inches off my stock antenna, I live in rural Tennessee and I don't notice any signal loss. If you are concerned about controlling your ball, just place your pliers around your antenna, wrap the pliers and the ball with a little electrical tape and tap the pliers with a hammer. Decide the length you want your antenna to be and wrap the antenna with one or two turns of electrical tape and cut it off with either a dremel or a hack saw. Cut the wire wrapped around the antenna first, about a quarter inch below where you intend to cut, using a pair of diagonal cutters ("dikes"). You will have to file the antenna a little to get the ball to fit on again (I used my dremel with a grinding stone). Taper the end of the antenna so it slides into the ball. When you have the fit you want, add a little epoxy or superglue in hole in the ball and slide it on. I added a little glue to the wire wrapped around the antenna to ensure it doesn't come loose. Touch up with a little flat or satin black paint and it will look OEM, which it is.

10. Jul 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB
    It comes off! Take a crescent wrench, bigger is better. Close it down so that it rides over the antenna but won't clear the ball. Slide it down (forcefully) along the antenna over and over again until the ball pops off, preferably into a bag or box so that it doesn't go flying somewhere where you won't find it. Then cut the antenna down (I took 8" off of mine with no loss in reception) and epoxy the ball back on. Simple and free...

11. Jul 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I have one from autozone, 15" I think.

Whatever you get, make sure it bends. Ask me how I know...

12. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    AntennaX

AntennaX Well-Known Member

Member:
    we have a couple options for you

Products Discussed in

To Top