Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

in dash Sat/Nav & Sat Radio suggestions

Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
in dash Sat/Nav & Sat Radio suggestions

looks like im gonna land a gig that requires lots of road miles and a clue as to where im going down to a nano meter. what in dash unit are you folks tossin into yer 2010 prerunners? i currently run a external garmin nuvi and a ipod plugged into my aux jack in the oem 5 disc radio w/ sat antenna wired from toyota. i did do a search and didnt find anything that was current. heres my goals
  • full function nav touch screen w/ audio commands. needs to load new map upgrades easily. saw a lifetime garmin map upgrade at costco for $100 which sounded very good.
  • needs to support the steering wheel buttons.
  • ipod dock. i think i still need a usa spec harness, right? the audio cord and usb cable trick works ok but volume and sound quality suffer some.
  • satelite radio capabilities at a later date. will this opperate on the sat/nav antenna?
  • a bluetooth w/ voice command that actually works. the oem unit is aweful! 3 bills down the drain.
  • sound quality as good if not better than stock. will do a speaker upgrade at a later date but nuthin that thumps. just solid sound with quality midrange, highs and lows. no need for massive amps or a trailer to carry the subs so the back seat is still inhabitable. dont get crazy on me please.
  • clean up all these damn wires. thinkin ill do a remote fuse box under the hood and a ac power source inside someday. ill have a pc, phones and a ton of other crap to keep charged and i hate all the cords i have runnin into the dc plugs.
  • i know this wont help my resale so i see no reason to spend like bill gates. lets keep it reasonable folks. just stuff i can depend on that doesnt suck.
i suppose ill need a new dash face plate. anything else? feel free to point me in a good direction based on experience and knowlage.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
i have an alpine cd/dvd/sirius sat radio/navigation/7in.lcd fold out flip up touch screen, had a tv tuner but now that tv transmissions are digital i have no use for tv tuner. great radio
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

any issues with the flip screen?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Another FNG

bumpage. any help would be cool
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Personally i dont like flip screens i feel over time the rolloer guides stop letting it retract, pioneer makes solid gps/dvd/sat stereo i myself have the pioneer x920bt and its a damn good stereo head unit.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at getting the JVC KW-NT3HDT. It has all the features you mentioned, plus the face is detachable as to deterr thiefs. It's not a fold out. It's a double din. Seems like a really good stereo. Crutchfield even has some videos of the stereo in use. I've seem some listings on ebay for about $699.99 w/ free shipping. Just don't have the funds for it now though. I'm restoring an old 1978 GS550 motorcycle into a bobber and the wife gave me the go to spend all I need to finish bike, which is probably about 2 months from now. So.........No stuff for the Tacoma for now.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
If GPS is the highest priority on the list, I would recommend the Pioneer, since it has Garmin, I believe with lifetime updates. The other unit with major label gps support is the Sony XNV models. I have the XNV-770BT. The GPS is great, but only one year of free map updates. Also, the Sony interface is lousy, which is why I recommend the Pioneer.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Another FNG

thanx guys. im lookin at the jvc and the kenny. not much good was said about the pioneer when i read reviews. keep the tips and opinions comming please. i have some time before i jump
(edit) the jvc is lookin mighty sweet.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Servant of Ninkasi
Toby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shedToby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toby's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to install an Alpine INA-W900BT system with all the bells and whistles. Will take pics and post opinions after it's installed.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Another FNG

looks nice. its on the list. get back to me in a few weeks when ya have some time with it
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Another FNG

bump-o-rama. what else?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
If GPS is the highest priority on the list, I would recommend the Pioneer, since it has Garmin, I believe with lifetime updates. The other unit with major label gps support is the Sony XNV models. I have the XNV-770BT. The GPS is great, but only one year of free map updates. Also, the Sony interface is lousy, which is why I recommend the Pioneer.

When did Pioneer start using Garmin?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Kenwood DNX9960, SWI JACK, ipod cable, Metra dash kit. It does what you want. I has Garmin with free traffic for life.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Black Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Sheep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 6 years PA Army National Guard, 28th Infantry Division, 28th Signal Battalion
Name: Jeff
Black Sheep's Tacoma Gallery
I put the Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit with NAV, DVD, XM, Blutooth and remote control.. I love it. I can also stream music from my blackberry and ipod through blutooth. They do not have to be plugged in. It looks and sounds great. I also had all of the speakers changed out. When I watch a DVD, it sounds like I am in a theater.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Kenwood also has Garmin nav. I'm looking at DNX-6960.
Just installed this radio in the 08 RX350. The 8 and 9 series have nothing but problems but this radio is truly awesome!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Personally i dont like flip screens i feel over time the rolloer guides stop letting it retract, pioneer makes solid gps/dvd/sat stereo i myself have the pioneer x920bt and its a damn good stereo head unit.

I have the 110bt unit and love it. I will be getting the upgrade disc to make it a 120bt version soon.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
TacoJJ is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
TacoJJ's Tacoma Gallery
Pioneer, all the way. AVIC series are a bit pricey but they do EVERYTHING.