Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ride Rite airbags....highly recommended!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Ride Rite airbags....highly recommended!

I got the air bags for my truck to a) give it a slight lift in the rear to match my Billies up front and b) in the winter to level the truck with the sled in the back. Works great. And the ride is really good as well. I'm glad I didn't go with the AALs...REALLY glad I didn't!
Attached Thumbnails
Ride Rite airbags....highly recommended!-img_7578.jpg   Ride Rite airbags....highly recommended!-img_7579.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you purchase them and the price. I have been thinking of doing this because I need the extra load capacity when I go to the garden center or haul heavy objects.

BTW the pics look good.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
@Terry: No load I have them at 12-15psi and the ride is as good as stock imo. The bags are pretty soft at that psi. With the sled I have them at 60psi and its a soft ride, but firm. Unloaded at 60psi and it rides rough.

@95SLE: Thanks. I just got them at a truck parts store. They were around $350+tax if I recall. A RV shop had the same set for over $600...rip off! lol
Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Where did you purchase them and the price. I have been thinking of doing this because I need the extra load capacity when I go to the garden center or haul heavy objects.

BTW the pics look good.
I picked mine up from http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...scon/2407.html. I had zero hassle, and they shipped out very quickly. They are on sale at the moment for $262.20.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
$350 Was that installed or with an on board compressor? I just found the base airbags on 4wheelonline for $110, shipped.
http://4wheelonline.com/Firestone_Ri....133926.451534
Am I missing something, why the huge price swings between these?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, they are excellent. I had them installed on my 2005 to fix the soft/ bottoming suspension my dealer wouldn't do anything about (and I didn't know about the TSB).

Installed at Off Road Warehouse in Escondido, CA... 15 psi normal loads and the most I needed to add was to 40 psi for a super heavy load. Baja proven... When I traded the '05 for the '10, had the dealer take them off for me (in case the '10 needed them). The 2010 has good springs, and doesn't need the Ride Rites.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #8
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogge89 View Post
I picked mine up from http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...scon/2407.html. I had zero hassle, and they shipped out very quickly. They are on sale at the moment for $262.20.
Thank you for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
$350 Was that installed or with an on board compressor? I just found the base airbags on 4wheelonline for $110, shipped.
http://4wheelonline.com/Firestone_Ri....133926.451534
Am I missing something, why the huge price swings between these?
They do not carry the 2WD air springs, Shazbutt.

Cheapest so far is Amazon for $267 including shipping. The 2WD base Tacoma is Rite Ride kit 2410.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
I never thought I would use my truck so much. I don't even have "toys" yet I'm always filling the bed and my utility trailer up with heavy stuff. I got the spring TSB done and it's better but it still needs help sometimes.

I really want these http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...r-springs.html for $215 and then this http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...eless-air.html for $415.

Without the compressor do you just attach an air source on top if each bag to inflate? Is it like a tire inflation valve for each bag? I would like to spread the cost out and install the bags first then save up for the compressor and do that later.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
I never thought I would use my truck so much. I don't even have "toys" yet I'm always filling the bed and my utility trailer up with heavy stuff. I got the spring TSB done and it's better but it still needs help sometimes.

I really want these http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...r-springs.html for $215 and then this http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...eless-air.html for $415.

Without the compressor do you just attach an air source on top if each bag to inflate? Is it like a tire inflation valve for each bag? I would like to spread the cost out and install the bags first then save up for the compressor and do that later.
Tubes are run out to the back bumper... on each side of the license plate... It takes just seconds to change the pressure.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
On each side of the 7-pin connector is a good place for the schrader valves.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
How much lift do you get out of these on an empty truck without adversely affecting the ride?

Even with the TSB springs I find the back end sags out too much when towing or hauling. It still drives alright but my lights are up in other drivers eyes and it looks lame. Empty and with E load tires it already rides rough enough that I don't want an AAL.

I'd like more info on running these with 5100s? I want to do billies set to 1.75 or 2.5 up front. I'm guessing I'd need a 1" or 1.5" block out back yet?

As for pricing the best I've seen is $247ish with shipping included on the 05+ 4wd ride rite kit. That $110 is just a replacement bag I think. Local shop here quoted me $800 for the kit and $1500 with the compressor... HA!

That wireless kit looks slick, $400 is kind of steep though. No reason it shouldn't work with any brand of bags too, air pressure is air pressure.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
MikeF is on a distinguished road
MikeF's Tacoma Gallery
Priddle, interesting we both live in St. John;s, have a tacoma and an M haha
Nice truck!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #14

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
$350 here in Canada was a good price...I did my homework first, believe me.

At 15psi, I get about 1" lift which levels it with the Billies @ 2.5"

I was debating the compressor but they are not cheap and not sure their reliability in the winter.

@p-hill: I wish I had thought of that location. Mine is on either side of the bumper, underneath it.

@MikeF: Thanks. How come I haven't noticed your truck and sled in the back around town?? I thought I was the only nut on the Avalon with a M lol Are you on the Sled-Headz site?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Hill Tacoma View Post
On each side of the 7-pin connector is a good place for the schrader valves.

Sorry, but that is a terrible place, as is that power connection for trailers... First serious off road dip you cross and it gets smashed right off. I unbolted mine and zip tied it up by the spare (I don't need it)... Just think if you dropped off a ledge and smashed that, both air bags would go flat as the air rushed out!

Drill holes on each side of the license plate for the fill valves.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
South of Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Army: 13E40, 68-69
South of Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Sorry, but that is a terrible place, as is that power connection for trailers... First serious off road dip you cross and it gets smashed right off. I unbolted mine and zip tied it up by the spare (I don't need it)... Just think if you dropped off a ledge and smashed that, both air bags would go flat as the air rushed out!

Drill holes on each side of the license plate for the fill valves.
BTDT with accidentally tearing the plug-in off---twice. I finally bit the bullet and drilled the bumper to the left of the license plate and mounted the plug-in there. Works much better!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #17
Relik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Eddy
Relik's Tacoma Gallery
Do these limit the up-travel of the suspension? Looks like they "replace" the position of the bump stop but it has much more height.

Also do they always have to be with air? Meaning do they act as their own bump stop when not filled with air?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #18
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relik View Post
Do these limit the up-travel of the suspension? Looks like they "replace" the position of the bump stop but it has much more height.

Also do they always have to be with air? Meaning do they act as their own bump stop when not filled with air?
Yeah, they act as the bump stop, since you need to cut the old one off. They require a minimum of 5psi at all times.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Any downside to mounting the schrader valve inside the small rear compartment?
I was thinking the same thing... Seems like it'd be much better protected, still easily accessible and wouldn't require drilling the bumper.