Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 conversion

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #21
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I really want to see someone finally pull this off. Lots of people have talked about adding 4wd using bolt-on parts taken from another parts truck but has anyone pulled the trigger and moved forward with it? Labor would be the biggest variable. If you can do it yourself, your truck will end up being laid up for a decent amount of time or if you pay someone, it'll be expensive but probably a lot quicker.
True would be nice to see it done and have final cost.
problem here is
People with access to tons of 4x4 parts are here in New England but,,,,, if you are in New England then you most likely drive 4x4 already. (unless you are some odd case )
Those who bought 2wd in NE most likely will go to solid axle anyway.
There are people with know how and access to parts in other sections of US but those most likely will go to solid axle anyway (if they did not purchase 4x4 to start with).
So that leaves us with people that have 2wd and have no means/knowledge of doing conversion even so they would like to.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
II PaCMaN x3 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
II PaCMaN x3's Tacoma Gallery
Ok sorry that was kind if dumb of me..I have a 2006 double cab 2wd sport it's all stock
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #24
Cmatt1605 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Cmatt1605's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
witch?

*which*** lol my bad
Old 03-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #25
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I dont think $3000 is low for going from pre-runner to 4wd.
Biggest ticket items are
TC - less then $700
Front Diff - Less then $500
Cv's - less then $200
4wd - computer - less then $600
Hubs for 4wd - less then $200
Pig tails for front diff and TC - maybe $200
Miscellaneous - $600 (including six packs of beer )
If OP goes to "pull yourself" junk yard he can probably score all above for %50 of price.
Just to be clear - those prices are *already* wrecking yard prices. New prices from dealer - the transfer case alone is over $3K.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

This is why most folks will say the best course is to have a "donor truck" sitting next to yours, from which you can pull all the needed parts. That way, nothing turns out to be missing, and you don't need to make extra back-and-forth trips for various small parts that got left behind but turn out to be necessary.

Final word: more trouble than it's worth.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #26
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive the necro... But starting another fucking prerunner to 4x4 thread will prob make me a walking target...

Selling my truck is not an option. I've invested too much into it and it has been too reliable for me to take chances on another one that may be a POS. Also I can't get a Double Cab Off Road with a Long Bed, and I need lockers.

I'm thinking on doing the conversion and I have done some numbers, and I don't think it'll be too bad.

My questions however are:

I want to use a FJ Manual Case. There are tons of wrecked FJs here, so thats a plus. What mods will I have to do by using the Manual case vs the Electric case. Apart from cutting, will the 4x4 computer that gets installed take case of knowing whats happening where and turn the right indicator lights on? Or will I have problems setting up the 4x4 hi/lo indicator signs and such.

This will be coupled with ARB lockers BTW. Since I am already using OBA for AirBags, might as well use it for the lockers I want.

I'm not trying to create a "beast" with SAS and all that because I do not need it, however I do find myself needing 4x4 and lockers.

I have a relative list of the parts and that looks ok on paper. Installing should not be too hard, I'm just worried about electrical stuff.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #27
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
there is a bigger headache with the newer tacoma for a 4wd conversion.
the 1st gen tacomas are relatively not as complicated as compared to a 2nd with all the electronics and such

ill probably end up 4wd swapping 1st gen when im outta college and its not my DD
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
http://tacomaterritory.com/wiki/inde...ive_conversion

This is a 2002 conversion. May be a bit different but should mostly be the same. Try a google search. My advice, buy a new one, Im going to do the same thing.