Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone actually get aftermarket leather seats?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
TacoMaster is on a distinguished road
TacoMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone actually get aftermarket leather seats?

Hi guys, new to the forum and first post.

I'm waiting for my '07 V6 4x4, DC, LB, TRD Sport, blah blah blah to be deliver in about a week or less. I've locked in my price and it includes dealer installed leather. I've searched for any threads relating to the after-market leather option and didn't come up with much. I found one person that said it wasn't so great and that you loose the "Sport" feel of the seats. I'm looking for input from somebody/anybody that actually has done the upgrade. If it's not worth it, I still have time to back that charge out and save me a few $$'s. Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
USMC Tanker is on a distinguished road
USMC Tanker's Tacoma Gallery
The leather that is installed at dealerships is often of better quality than factory leather.

Something to keep in mind though, is that typically they will replace all cloth (including door panels) with leather. I had leather installed in a vehicle I purchased in 2006, and some of the panels didn't sit as flush as they were supposed to, simply because those panels weren't sized to be wrapped in leather. All I'm saying is, once everything is wrapped in leather, it may not fit precisely as it was designed.

That being said, I would go ahead and go for it. In my opinion, leather is easier to maintain than cloth. You don't have to worry about stains, spots, dirt/dust, or pet hair sticking to the cloth. With leather, almost everything wipes clean and the only thing you have to worry about is tearing the leather. Other than that, keep the leather "moisturized" (Armor-All for leather works) and you're good to go.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
TacoMaster is on a distinguished road
TacoMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response. We've got a 6yo and planning for another sooner than later, so leather seemed like a logical choice. We have a Sienna with factory leather and it's WAY easier to clean up when "accidents" happen.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Azteca is on a distinguished road
Azteca's Tacoma Gallery
I did not get leather on my 2007 and I wish I did. I do have leather on my 2007 4Runner and I love it. I agree with USMC Tanker, the leather is better for clean up when you have kids.

Does any one know if I can still add leather to my Tacoma from the dealer? My truck is only one month old.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
USMC Tanker is on a distinguished road
USMC Tanker's Tacoma Gallery
They should be happy to do it, after all it's money in their pocket.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
dholland is on a distinguished road
dholland's Tacoma Gallery
any body have a general idea of price for a full leather install from a dealership on an 07 access cab prerunner... ???
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Tommy1005 is a jewel in the roughTommy1005 is a jewel in the roughTommy1005 is a jewel in the rough
Tommy1005's Tacoma Gallery
I was told that install here in Houston for any truck with 2 rows of seats was $1795 through the dealer. I got a better deal than that because I'm buying my new truck through a friend. If you've already purchased the truck, then I would say call up Katskinz (? on spelling) and do the install yourself or take it to an upholstery shop. Once again, in the houston area I know tons of places that can do it for $1000 range, so just find a place that does good work. Generally if you see some hot rods or classics getting interior on them, you can count on them to do a good job on your truck.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
geoffho is on a distinguished road
geoffho's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Double-Cab - picked it up a month ago here in San Diego. It was $1500 for leather - the dealer sent the truck out to a local upholstery shop to have it done. It is awesome. Seats still feel great and they look sweet! I did not however get the light grey to match the existing seats. I got dark gray to match the dash as close as possible - I was worried about the light gray showing the dirt. They cover all the seats as well as the cloth on the doors. The customer service person at the dealership said someone has also got it in black in the past and that looked really nice too. If you get the dark leather, get the black floormats to match.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Tommy1005 is a jewel in the roughTommy1005 is a jewel in the roughTommy1005 is a jewel in the rough
Mine will have the dark floor mats and the charcoal leather, so I'm pretty excited about it
Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Dealer installed leather

I had the dealer put leather in my 06 dbl cab prerunner. They charged me 800 bucks. That was part of the deal for me to buy the truck. They said that the price they gave me was their cost. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
apparently the cost of leather has gone up this year? I was told $1300 was "cost" which is still better than the $1795 they tried to charge me. I will get some pics up tomorrow of how it looks.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you guys should all post some pics so we can see the diff. colors.

Wormhole7: good idea about haggling for their cost on getting leather installed! I am SO using that tactic when I have haggled them as low as I can. That would be a good idea for TRD accessories also i suppose
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
bellphill is on a distinguished road
bellphill's Tacoma Gallery
My 06 dbl. cab came with leather factory installed.This includes the area around the doors as well.I would say it is well done and i am yet to see any signs of lifting at the edges on the doors, remember i live in Jamaica, where it gets pretty hot.All i know , the leather is easier to clean sand and dirt off than the fabric anytime
Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellphill View Post
My 06 dbl. cab came with leather factory installed.This includes the area around the doors as well.I would say it is well done and i am yet to see any signs of lifting at the edges on the doors, remember i live in Jamaica, where it gets pretty hot.All i know , the leather is easier to clean sand and dirt off than the fabric anytime
-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
None of the Tacoma's have the leather factory installed, the inland port centers do some and the dealers also send trucks out or install in-house. In the SET area, leather can be added to the factory order on DC's, but it still leaves factory with cloth and it is installed at the port centers.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
stick to cloth, its better this way. no worries about piercing hole in the seats and as well as cracks when it gets old.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #16
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I definately prefer cloth
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
rgd51 is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
rgd51's Tacoma Gallery
i got leather in my 1997 regular cab for only $200. i took out the bench seat and put in 2 leather bucket seats that came from shucks and they are more like racing seats
Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
there was a group buy on the katskin leathers for about 700 bucks, i believe it just ended though.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
I had te leather added in my 08 DC TRD. I have to admit I did like it at first. I had the liquicell cushioning and they were comfy. I didnt like the way that the leather wore/wrinkikled up just due to getting in and out of the truck. When you lift your truck (as most of us do) the outer edge of the seat wears/wrinkles more due to dragging your ass over it. It is a great option though. It was fairly durable and easy to clean up. I said to hell with it this time and just got them to throw in some neoprene TRD seat covers and called it good.