1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone actually get aftermarket leather seats?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoMaster, May 8, 2007.

1. May 8, 2007 at 3:11 PM
    TacoMaster

TacoMaster [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi guys, new to the forum and first post.

I'm waiting for my '07 V6 4x4, DC, LB, TRD Sport, blah blah blah to be deliver in about a week or less. I've locked in my price and it includes dealer installed leather. I've searched for any threads relating to the after-market leather option and didn't come up with much. I found one person that said it wasn't so great and that you loose the "Sport" feel of the seats. I'm looking for input from somebody/anybody that actually has done the upgrade. If it's not worth it, I still have time to back that charge out and save me a few $$'s. Thanks!!

2. May 8, 2007 at 7:16 PM
    USMC Tanker

USMC Tanker New Member

Member:
    The leather that is installed at dealerships is often of better quality than factory leather.

Something to keep in mind though, is that typically they will replace all cloth (including door panels) with leather. I had leather installed in a vehicle I purchased in 2006, and some of the panels didn't sit as flush as they were supposed to, simply because those panels weren't sized to be wrapped in leather. All I'm saying is, once everything is wrapped in leather, it may not fit precisely as it was designed.

That being said, I would go ahead and go for it. In my opinion, leather is easier to maintain than cloth. You don't have to worry about stains, spots, dirt/dust, or pet hair sticking to the cloth. With leather, almost everything wipes clean and the only thing you have to worry about is tearing the leather. Other than that, keep the leather "moisturized" (Armor-All for leather works) and you're good to go.

3. May 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM
    TacoMaster

TacoMaster [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the response. We've got a 6yo and planning for another sooner than later, so leather seemed like a logical choice. We have a Sienna with factory leather and it's WAY easier to clean up when "accidents" happen.

4. Jun 7, 2007 at 5:52 AM
    Azteca

Azteca Member

Member:
    I did not get leather on my 2007 and I wish I did. I do have leather on my 2007 4Runner and I love it. I agree with USMC Tanker, the leather is better for clean up when you have kids.

Does any one know if I can still add leather to my Tacoma from the dealer? My truck is only one month old.

5. Jun 7, 2007 at 7:27 AM
    USMC Tanker

USMC Tanker New Member

Member:
    They should be happy to do it, after all it's money in their pocket.

6. Jun 8, 2007 at 10:53 AM
    dholland

dholland Member

Member:
    any body have a general idea of price for a full leather install from a dealership on an 07 access cab prerunner... ???

7. Jun 9, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    Tommy1005

Tommy1005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was told that install here in Houston for any truck with 2 rows of seats was $1795 through the dealer. I got a better deal than that because I'm buying my new truck through a friend. If you've already purchased the truck, then I would say call up Katskinz (? on spelling) and do the install yourself or take it to an upholstery shop. Once again, in the houston area I know tons of places that can do it for $1000 range, so just find a place that does good work. Generally if you see some hot rods or classics getting interior on them, you can count on them to do a good job on your truck.

8. Jun 9, 2007 at 10:25 AM
    geoffho

geoffho Member

Member:
    I have a Double-Cab - picked it up a month ago here in San Diego. It was $1500 for leather - the dealer sent the truck out to a local upholstery shop to have it done. It is awesome. Seats still feel great and they look sweet! I did not however get the light grey to match the existing seats. I got dark gray to match the dash as close as possible - I was worried about the light gray showing the dirt. They cover all the seats as well as the cloth on the doors. The customer service person at the dealership said someone has also got it in black in the past and that looked really nice too. If you get the dark leather, get the black floormats to match.

9. Jun 9, 2007 at 4:14 PM
    Tommy1005

Member:
    Mine will have the dark floor mats and the charcoal leather, so I'm pretty excited about it

10. Jun 12, 2007 at 8:45 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I had the dealer put leather in my 06 dbl cab prerunner. They charged me 800 bucks. That was part of the deal for me to buy the truck. They said that the price they gave me was their cost. Hope this helps.

11. Jun 12, 2007 at 6:28 PM
    Tommy1005

Member:
    apparently the cost of leather has gone up this year? I was told $1300 was "cost" which is still better than the $1795 they tried to charge me. I will get some pics up tomorrow of how it looks.

12. Jul 29, 2007 at 9:38 AM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, you guys should all post some pics so we can see the diff. colors.

Wormhole7: good idea about haggling for their cost on getting leather installed! I am SO using that tactic when I have haggled them as low as I can. That would be a good idea for TRD accessories also i suppose

13. Jul 31, 2007 at 7:28 AM
    bellphill

bellphill Member

Member:
    My 06 dbl. cab came with leather factory installed.This includes the area around the doors as well.I would say it is well done and i am yet to see any signs of lifting at the edges on the doors, remember i live in Jamaica, where it gets pretty hot.All i know , the leather is easier to clean sand and dirt off than the fabric anytime

14. Jul 31, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    -
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    None of the Tacoma's have the leather factory installed, the inland port centers do some and the dealers also send trucks out or install in-house. In the SET area, leather can be added to the factory order on DC's, but it still leaves factory with cloth and it is installed at the port centers.

15. Aug 1, 2007 at 1:59 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    stick to cloth, its better this way. no worries about piercing hole in the seats and as well as cracks when it gets old.

16. Aug 2, 2007 at 5:49 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I definately prefer cloth

17. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:17 AM
    rgd51

rgd51 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Newcastle, Washington, United States
    Vehicle:
    4X4 regular cab, automatic, 2.7L I4
    Took out the bench seat and but in leather racing bucket seats from Schucks, thus making mine a 2 seater. Put a leather steering wheel cover on.
    i got leather in my 1997 regular cab for only $200. i took out the bench seat and put in 2 leather bucket seats that came from shucks and they are more like racing seats

18. Dec 29, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    there was a group buy on the katskin leathers for about 700 bucks, i believe it just ended though.

19. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    I had te leather added in my 08 DC TRD. I have to admit I did like it at first. I had the liquicell cushioning and they were comfy. I didnt like the way that the leather wore/wrinkikled up just due to getting in and out of the truck. When you lift your truck (as most of us do) the outer edge of the seat wears/wrinkles more due to dragging your ass over it. It is a great option though. It was fairly durable and easy to clean up. I said to hell with it this time and just got them to throw in some neoprene TRD seat covers and called it good.

Products Discussed in

To Top