Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about Manual Trans

Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
TheJDawg is on a distinguished road
TheJDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Question about Manual Trans

I'm lookin to get a Tacoma here soon but I'm deciding between auto/manual trans. I've heard, since this truck has a computer controlled throttle, the manual is hard to drive just because the computer can surge your RPM's if it thinks you get too low and might stall it...? Can anyone with a manual give me some input on this? Much appreciated!

BTW- just joined the site not too long ago and I'm already an addict haha
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
elevatedfun is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
elevatedfun's Tacoma Gallery
hey man, I drive a 07 manual and I have had no issues with it at all. As long as you know how to drive a manual you'll be fine and you don't need to worry about the computer overriding you and it stalling. In the beginning I wanted to get an automatic but I'm so so happy I went with a manual! Hopefully this helps
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a manual and it's good for control, but revs stupid high on the freeway at 70mph.
Auto has different gearing.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
fortyniner is on a distinguished road
fortyniner's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned three Toyota trucks all of them manual transmission and never had a problem with any of them except my 2008 V6. Today I was stuck in traffic and my truck was trying to go 20mph in 2nd gear with my foot off the gas. My truck will idle at 1300 rpms any time it is not actually at a complete stop. The tech at the dealer says he knows its a problem but there is nothing that can be done about it. If you are set on buying a Tacoma get the the Auto.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There are TO bearing issues in quite a few of the 6 speeds and the ECU will hold the revs up between shifts.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
I'm different, in a different way
franzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shedfranzcars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
franzcars's Tacoma Gallery
we hav a 08 i4 taco with the 5 and hav not had probs. my dad says it's one of the hardest manules he's driven cuz the clutch is mech not hydralic. but it's fun none the less. if you live in the city or places with alot of stops i'd say auto
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
sicripp83 is on a distinguished road
sicripp83's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a 2011 access cab about a month ago, the manual takes a few miles to get used too, but now i have no complaints, got the rev figured out and im happy
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Ok cool thanks guys. Seems like it's fine just takes some getting used to.

tacoridinhigh - I don't recall who I heard that from. I think I just read it somewhere on the net. And since everything on the net is true.... haha. But that's why I came here to ask and find out first-hand before I decided anything.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
you just gotta test drive both and go from there
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx View Post
we hav a 08 i4 taco with the 5 and hav not had probs. my dad says it's one of the hardest manules he's driven cuz the clutch is mech not hydralic. but it's fun none the less. if you live in the city or places with alot of stops i'd say auto
Mechanical clutch...you sure about that? Most vehicle manufacturers started putting hydraulic clutches in vehicles back in the early-mid 90's.

Hydraulic clutches are much easier to drive than mechanical (cable) clutches.

For the OP, the manual tranmission tacomas have some "quirks" I wouldn't go to the extent to call them serious problems. I like my 6spd and I don't even notice the rev hang. The only complaint I have is that 6th gear is a little too high IMO for highway driving. ~2600 RPM @ 75 mph vs the auto which spins about 2200 RPM @ 75mph. This is the reason for the mpg difference between the two.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Take them both out for a test drive. It's personal preference. I drove manuals for 24 years, both Toyotas - 11 years in an 81 Celica and 13 in an 86 4Runner. No probs. None with my wife's 2 manual Subarus either.

But I didn't like the 6-speed. Maybe it was my muscle memory. Maybe it's all the electronics involved in the process now. Maybe it was going from a 4-cyl to a 6-cyl or the heavier weight of the overall vehicle, yet a lighter back end. But I didn't like the 6-speed on hills. It was just touchy for this old driver. I stalled, I lost traction, I burned the clutch like I hadn't done since I first learned to drive. I admit I miss a manual though, and have to take my wife's Subaru out at least once a week to satisfy the craving. But I thought it sucked in the V6 Tacoma.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
i test drove a 07 6spd last year and i thought it was a blast and had no problems with it and no difficulties shifting.. if i were to get a 2nd gen i would get one.. but my advice is to test drive it to death and see how it feels and if its something you can get used to and you know youll like it then get the manual. id say if theres any doubt in your mind about the 6spd then go with an auto
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDawg View Post
I'm lookin to get a Tacoma here soon but I'm deciding between auto/manual trans. I've heard, since this truck has a computer controlled throttle, the manual is hard to drive just because the computer can surge your RPM's if it thinks you get too low and might stall it...? Can anyone with a manual give me some input on this? Much appreciated!

BTW- just joined the site not too long ago and I'm already an addict haha
I have an "11 with 5sp manual.
No surge, easy to shift (now about 6,000 miles is smoother than when new).

If you like to shift the toyota manual is fine. It is not lickety split fast like my wifes VW 6speed manual but that car weighs less, is turbo and a bit more horespoer)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
It took an unusually long time for me to adjust from previous manuals, but now that I have, my rig drives and shifts like butter - even into 1st!

The clutch does make a burning smell much too easily for my liking.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
fslaugts is on a distinguished road
fslaugts's Tacoma Gallery
Today I was stuck in traffic and my truck was trying to go 20mph in 2nd gear with my foot off the gas. My truck will idle at 1300 rpms any time it is not actually at a complete stop. The tech at the dealer says he knows its a problem but there is nothing that can be done about it. If you are set on buying a Tacoma get the the Auto.[/QUOTE] This sums up my problem with my truck. I think this is what kills my gas mileage. It idles to high.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
Thanks guys. I test drove an automatic already and was pretty pleased. I think I'll head back sometime this week and try the manual, and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I admit I miss a manual though, and have to take my wife's Subaru out at least once a week to satisfy the craving.
I totally understand this^^^ My girlfriend has a manual and whenever we take her car I always ask to drive.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6-speed. If you can't get used to it, then you don't know how to drive stick...

Only complaint is highway RPM's are a little high. That said, keep it under 110, and you're fine. Over that speed, and MPG's drop off badly.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Love the 6 speed manual. It's fun even in heavy traffic which I drive thru every day in the Washington DC area.

Only negative is the high RPMs in 6th gear when I am doing say 75 MPH. It's sitting at 2500 RPMs which seems to me a little high for an overdrive gear.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
I love my 6-speed. If you can't get used to it, then you don't know how to drive stick...

Only complaint is highway RPM's are a little high. That said, keep it under 110, and you're fine. Over that speed, and MPG's drop off badly.

X2
Old 03-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle response might have been part of what was throwing me off for a while (especially starting up a hill).

But then, everything I've had prior had some sort of mechanical link... to a carburetor.