1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEED HELP LONG CRANK TO START

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yotatoy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    yotatoy

yotatoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    il
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota TRD 4x4 4D V6
    Avid side steps Nokia Yellow fog lights t-rex eyelids trd sport hood front windows tint
    What i have is a 2010 trd off v6 d cab. I got the truck last feb, since then i only put 4,000 miles on it. but one time last year and one time last week and today. i went to start the truck and it was cranking forevery. now it does start on the first long turn or the second turn, (its like no gas and then i bit then runs rough) it runs rough for 2 sec then idles great. i drop it off at toyota dealer today and told them keep it for a week and they gave me a camry to drive. any one have this problem as well, i always use a name brand gas pump, and no other problems. any info or items to check will help thanks
    only thing installed is a oem trd oil cap and recall gas pedal done (all stock)

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    There was a TSB for earlier Second gens for this issue. The ECU needed reflashed to fix it.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    yeah i have the same problem but im out of warranty so no tsb for but it cranks for a while 1st try then always catches second time but this only happens once in awhile

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I just started a thread on this today. I've only had mine 5 weeks and it did it several days ago and then today it did it again. Has me worried. Someone said I need to let the fuel pump prime first? WTF? It's a brand new truck. :(

5. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I had a BMW that had this problem and it was a couple of injectors that were bad. After I paid to have the computer test it I realized I could replace all six of them for 50 bucks more than replacing two of the bad injectors plus the test....I got a kiss for that one....

6. Mar 16, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Zoot

Zoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/SB TRD O/R 4X4
    Toyota bed mat, Wet Okole's F&R, Window Tint, custom trail-stripes, Cooper A/T3 265/75R16, MedlinAround interior LEDs, Leer 100r, aFe air filter, K&n cabin filter
    Ya mine did it the other day when I was on "E" and I was angled down hill.. just figured it was normal per the circumstances.. i'll let u know if it does it again tho

7. Mar 18, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    Mine did it for the first time this morning. It might have been because I was low on gas but I havent had this happen with any other vehicle.

I just want consistency. It seems everytime I drive this truck there is something else. Makes me think about how much I am spending in suspension and wheels.

8. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    I've had my truck for about 2 months now, daily driven, and this has happened on the three of four occasions that I've stalled taking off at a stoplight. It stalls, I turn the ignition to off, turn the key to on, then crank the engine for a few seconds and it won't start. I have to turn the ignition to off again, then crank it over again before it finally catches. This takes what seems like forever when you're already embarrassed about stalling it out in the first place and the people behind you are making angry faces.

I've never had a vehicle do this, and I've owned three manual trans. cars before. Kind of weird, but since it doesn't occur on a normal basis (just when I stall it out), i haven't been worried about it. Still getting used to the various clutch uptake levels and the odd/vague throttle modulation on this truck though.

9. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    I have noticed somethin similar in my new and old tacos. i notice it only happens in spring or fall when you have winter gas on a warm/hot day or summer gas on a cold day.
    OP- this might just be a little more exacerbated since it sounds like you don't run your truck often. If it does it repeatedly then you probably have a problem

Does ethanol go "bad" quicker than real gas?

10. Mar 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    i have had this happen to me on occasion, particularly when it is cold out, just a delayed start however, not much to cause worry, just a mental note. mine is an 08 and if it gets any worse or more persistent i just might have to check out that tsb

11. Mar 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    YEs ethanol does not last in quality as long as "real gas!" Both of my lawnmowers and the service dept agree with that statement....

12. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    I just had my pressure washer replaced(bough new last april and brought it in in November..JUST got replaced last week). And in October i had to rip apart my quad and clean the caburator. I Talked to a service tech from a Honda dealer, he said there has been numerous problems last summer w. the same issue.. The ethanol breaks down and leave small white deposits(almost like little bb's) they eventually cause everything to clog up and run like shit or not at all. this process can happen in as little as 2 weeks!. for the small engines, run no less than 93 with a few ounces of Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment.

As for our trucks.. mine does the 'Long Crank' every now and then. Yesterday was the worst, thought maybe cause it was 60 degrees this weekend and then we got 8" of snow yesterday. But our trucks are manufacture to run with ethanol... but if this is a problem.. whats gonna happen when the new law goes into effect using 15% Ethanol rather than 10%?

13. Sep 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    Tacolover07

Tacolover07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Leveling kit, 33’s, new headlamps,
    I know this is an old thread but hoping it helps others...so I too had the same issue and it would only be after sitting more than about 7 hrs or over night. I looked all over for help and did the usual, plugs, injector cleaners, air filter , cleaned the MAF, and changed the oil. Before I go further my truck is a 2011 dcsb 4x4 auto with 4.0 with 135k miles and live in the Midwest. So I found one post on TW that made me wonder...these tricks don’t “prime” the fuel pump until the oil pressure gauge reaches a certain amount of pressure then sends a signal to the fuel pump (my wording and not verbatim) hence why I changed the oil thinking the oil was dirty and messing with the oil pressure. Before buying parts I Consulted with a Toyota tech who said also to try the ECT sensor and ultimately the fuel pressure regulator. Luckily for me the ECT sensor was going to be a pain in the arse so I opted for the easier more accessible oil pressure sensor. The following morning my truck fired right up within 2 seconds and the morning after and the day after being at work over 8hrs! Hopefully it stays this way and hope this will help others. Best of luck.

Mrparsons15 and BassAckwards like this.
  14. Sep 16, 2019 at 2:22 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Going to file this one away. Keep us posted OP.

15. Sep 16, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Do you have the stock fuel pump or a higher flow aftermarket one?

16. Sep 16, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Stock fuel pump. Btw not that I think this did anything but I got my hand up in top of the tank and kind of wiggled the plug on the top...I was desperate and tried everything lol. It was doing the long cranks consistently every morning and so far so good. I’ll update if anything changes.

BassAckwards likes this.
  17. Sep 16, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out:thumbsup:

18. Sep 16, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
  19. Nov 24, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Mine has same issues and thought I had fixed it after replacing the oil pressure sensor, pvc, oil cleaner and fresh oil, new plugs, cleaned MAF sensor...always good for about a week or two after then again. Next will be the ECT sensor the fuel pressure regulator and hope that’s it. I think the reason why it’s always fine after I do something is because I disconnect the ground cable and it resets the computer. Once it’s back to normal it acts up again and never consistent just a pain in the ass. If after the last two things I said I would change don’t work, I’ll just disconnect the ground cable every Sunday for about 15-30 min and get used to it. Oh also every now and then when I shut off my truck and remove the key from the ignition the little oil can light comes on and stays on for Atleast 30 min maybe more. Weird I know and no one knows why. This is my second taco and my 07 never had this issue and it had 283k miles w I traded it. This one is an 11 4x4 6cyl with 137k

Products Discussed in

To Top