Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Suspension question

Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension question

Hey guys, when i was under my truck i noticed something that i don't understand. On the rear, the left and right shocks are at opposite angles. The back driver side is angled forward and the passenger side is angled back. Anyway, i'm sure there is a good reason that Toyota did this but i have no idea why, i was wondering if someone could shed some light on the subject. When i changed out the suspension on my BMW they matched up. Is this an off road configuration vs a street/racing configuration?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
does nobody know why the suspension is set up that way?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
...Is this an off road configuration vs a street/racing configuration?
Pretty much that was the way it was explained to me. I was told that because of the torque used on heavier duty axles (Heavier duty than a BMW sports sedan) the shocks are placed on opposite sides to account for twist in the axle and frame under heavy loads. Most trucks that I have seen the underside of are setup this way.

Take a look in a parking lot underneath a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Mazda, etc... trucks pretty much all have suspension set up that way.

Heck! Even my old VW Rabbit Pickup (Caddy) had suspension in this configuration.

I might be wrong on the reasoning, but I know that it is common.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #4

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks 007, i knew it was set up that way for a reason i just had no idea what that reason was.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Thanks 007, i knew it was set up that way for a reason i just had no idea what that reason was.
No Problem! Cheers!