LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ToyotaCare? I think NOT!!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #21
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5iiawah View Post
for all the people who have toyotacare and opt not to get the maintenance done, good luck with warranty issues down the road when they find that you've done the work yourself. I am sure many out there are more than capable but when it comes to something like shouldering liability, I'd rather a toyota dealer be touching my car than me or a jiffy lube.

There's another thread where a toyota tech started a guys engine for a few seconds without oil and he got an extra 50k miles on his warranty because of it - not to mention the incident is permanantly attached to his VIN.
Here is the issue. Dealer is best choice if somebody can not do their own maintenance but going to dealer does not mean truck is getting best care. For each case of somebody caughting no oil, I bet there are hundreds if not thousands of cases where nobody knows it happened.
Also its quality work. Mechanic does not care about somebody car. What he cares to get work requested done in shortest time so he can go and do another work. So if there is 2 lb of sand around oil cap its unlikely to be cleaned before pouring new oil. Cleaning up around spark plugs before removing them, not happening.
If you look for most of the cars that had lasted 300K miles and lets say 20 years those were serviced by owner.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I got the free ToyotaCare free with my truck and I use it. The dealer uses the correct grade and amount of oil, the correct factory filter and a new drain plug gasket. The tires get rotated, the fluids get topped off and the brakes and underside stuff get inspected. This takes about a half hour. I think I'm going to keep using this service after the ToyotaCare is used up.
I am fully capable of doing my own maintenance and have access to a well equipped auto hobby shop on base. I just don't feel like doing that shit any more.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #23
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=bridaw;3111751]You are fortunate. Not everyone has a place to change their own. Many home owner associations and apartments do not allow.

I'm happy with Toyota of El Cajon.[/QUOTE

Just do what I have done in the past...do it in back of the parts store or in a wal-mart parking lot, just act like you know what your doing,"hey no problems here doododoodoo"!!! Its pretty hard to spill a drop of oil on a 4.0 oil change anyways.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Here is the issue. Dealer is best choice if somebody can not do their own maintenance but going to dealer does not mean truck is getting best care. For each case of somebody caughting no oil, I bet there are hundreds if not thousands of cases where nobody knows it happened.
Also its quality work. Mechanic does not care about somebody car. What he cares to get work requested done in shortest time so he can go and do another work. So if there is 2 lb of sand around oil cap its unlikely to be cleaned before pouring new oil. Cleaning up around spark plugs before removing them, not happening.
If you look for most of the cars that had lasted 300K miles and lets say 20 years those were serviced by owner.
Exactly how I feel. When its your vehicle you wipe the dirt off of the fill plugs, zerks, fill caps, plugs, ect.....Back in the day I worked for a oil/tire place and it left a VERY negative impression on how these people treated vehicles. Lets just say that wiping off a zerk was unheard of before greasing it, diff./tranny fill plugs that were caked in mud were never wiped off before checking the fluid, oil caked dirt always got into engine when removing oil fill caps, all of which was 100% going to get some if not lots of dirt into the moving parts of your truck/car. I dont want dirt in my stuff but thats just me.
Not to mention the cars that were dry started due to miscommunication between the person in the pit and the ones on top filling oil Customers never even knew this would happen and we sure didnt fess up and tell them....oh yeah....STRIPPED OIL PAN PLUGS!!!! lots of those along with stripped diff/tranny plugs, fewer of those

BTW, this all went down over ten years ago in a Walmart tire and lube that was very busy over the six months I worked there, and almost EVERYONE who worked there while pretty cool guys and I liked them, had all just got out of the Arizona state prison system. State would hook em up with a job there so when they got out they could work on your car.....

Sorry, end rant
Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #24
Storm is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter
Storm's Tacoma Gallery
I have one, and only one, shop do my vehicle service, as well as my parents vehicles.

It is a local shop here in town, and the owner himself is one of the techs that work on the vehicles. One of the first things you will notice when you walk through the front door, are the ASE certifications of all the techs, including the owner hanging on the wall.

They may not be the cheapest shop to get it done, but they are the only shop I trust. I know this may not say much, but this same shop also services the city Police vehicles.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #25
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I do everything myself. No one else touches my truck.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd0311 View Post
I do realize my dealership could be the exception and the rule.
you mean exception to the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o5iiawah View Post
for all the people who have toyotacare and opt not to get the maintenance done, good luck with warranty issues down the road when they find that you've done the work yourself.
wtf are you talking about? that is absolute nonsense.