1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ToyotaCare? I think NOT!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lgjhn, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    lgjhn

lgjhn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LJ
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Took my new 2011 V6 4WD in for the 5000 mile oil change etc. I decided to take it back to the dealer I purchased it from and use the ToyotaCare program. I was there first thing that next morning. Took almost 2 hours for them to do whatever it is they do. Based on this forum, I quickly checked the oil just as soon as it was brought out of the bay and it was somewhat high. I figured it was just shut off and not really an accurate reading, but it had oil. Being already late getting back to work, I was off to work which was about 100 miles away. Truck sat all day and when I came out, I decided to check the oil again while it was cool. It was almost 1.5" above the full mark!! It was too late to get back to the dealer and too far away. Went to a local shop that happened to still be open and explained the situation. They drained almost 6.5 quarts out of the engine! Put back 5.2 quarts and it was right on the full mark. My guess is they put the 4 cylinder fill in it. Regardless, the tech should have caught it. He was either still asleep, lacked proper training or discipline. I called them the next morning and informed them of the situation. They said they'd "look into it" but never called me back. Needless to say, I'll do it all myself from now on, but being out of town makes it tough. Cannot believe they did that. Makes me wonder about the "other stuff" they were supposed to do. I guess good help is hard to find these days.

2. Mar 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Man this sounds like they use those auto-fill computer things just like at a lot of those quicklube joints. At least around here, a lot of them have this hose thing they hook up to put the oil in, rather than just pouring in bottles. At least at the better ones though, they check it afterwards with a dipstick. Overfilling that much was totally unacceptable.

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    That "free service" program is a bunch of PR crap..... They don't even take to the first major service interval (30,000 miles). All you are really getting is 5 free oil changes. :cool:

4. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Alot of dealers get a bad rap and deservedly so. But I have been nothing but happy with my local dealer. I don't like changing my own oil and do not trust quicklubes... So I take my truck to my dealer and let them do it. In and Out in less than 30 usually, maybe once I waited a full hour. But they have free coffee and snacks and free wireless so the wait is nothing. I do realize my dealership could be the exception and the rule.

5. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    rjlem

rjlem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Franksville, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab 4WD 2.7 A/T Bought used
    Int. Wipers, OEM Cruise, Fiamm Horns, Access Cover, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Mats,
    I always figure if something is free, you get what you pay for.

I will not be taking advantage of the “free” maintenance on my 2011, I have always done my own oil and will continue to do so until someone pulls my 14mm box end wrench out of my cold dead arthritic hands.

Regards, Rick.

6. Mar 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Yes the ToyotaCare program is primarly for PR to build up consmer confidence and positive associations with the Toyota brand. But it also includes tire rotations, cabin air filters, chassis lubes, etc. Basically anything that will be needed in the first 2 years or 25k miles. No it will not cover the 30k service, which is the one thing that I might actually let Toyota do for me! I bought used so it does not matter anyway, I'm just sayin'

7. Mar 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    FYI, 6.1 is too much for the 4 cyl even tho the manual says that's what it needs with filter change. 5.5 with new filter puts it on the F on the dipstick. 6.5 would even be more than too much..........

8. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    I'm only letting Toyota do my stuff til the 25k Toyota Care runs out. Then, I will be handling everything on my own. The local dealership has done great so far, but I did check the simple stuff afterwards to make sure (checked oil with dip stick, checked steelie wheel caps, etc.)

9. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    crazyman

crazyman Not bothered....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DC/SB TRD/OR V6 Auto, Magnetic Gray
    Does Plasti-Dip count as a mod ?
    My dealer is a good one. Just had the 10k service done today. So what if it's only a few free oil changes ? For those of us who aren't able to do all that simple maintenance, it's a bonus.

10. Mar 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah I don't mind using my dealer .. Toyota of Colorado Springs. They've been good to me. Plus they do so many things I don't want to do until my garage is built ... things like retorquing propeller shafts, rotating tires, and greasing u-joint.

11. Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    Thucker

Thucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag. Gray BC LB Sport 4x4
    That really sucks. I use to work at a car shop, I know how it goes. Most of the time the mechanics get paid flat rates, which means they get paid for the job not the actual time it takes. They'll do the job as quick as they can so they can go to the next. Some mechanical are careful of their work, others just get it done and out the door as fast as they can.

I didn't even use the free first oil change at 5k on my truck. I changed it myself with synthetic oil.

12. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I don't trust the dealers either and do all maintenance myself. For those that are happy taking their trucks to the dealer free or otherwise, are you doing as the OP did and checking that everything is done correctly? Trust but verify. Otherwise, your dealer may be shafting you and you just don't know it, fwiw

13. Mar 22, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    gregp

gregp Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    I just received my "Toyota Care" flyer/package in the mail yesterday (for my recently purchased 2011 Taco). I was surprised to see that most of the Toyota vehicles call for the 1st oil change at 10,000 miles. There is a printed exception that says that the 4 cylinder 2.7L Tacoma's will get their oil changed every 5,000 miles *with synthetic oil*. It is very clear about this. I began to wonder how on earth I could verify that they installed synthetic oil.....

14. Mar 22, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    flyfishinMT

flyfishinMT Active Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    2011, AC, 4wd, auto, 4cyl
    K&N filter, Leer 180, WeatherTechs, PopnLock, OEM knock off fogs, Duratracs, 16" FJ Wheels, Avid Lightbar, KC Daylighters
    ^^^^ been thinking the same thing. I dont even have 3K on my 2011 yet but I think I am just going to skip "toyota care" and do it all myself. That way I know it has the proper oil and amount.

if you register an email address and stuff w/ Toyota.com and put in your VIN number you have access to the service records. As well, you can create service record entries. This seems like a good way to document DIY or non-toyota service. If you use proper oils, filters, yada yada and enter that data into Toyota's site....they shouldnt ever be able to bitch about warranty or recorded service. The service manuals are all there, digital too.

15. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    My point was the only things they are "picking up" are the cheap things. When it comes time to pony up and really spend some money (30K service), they are out.

16. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Sounds like a good experience in that you learned not to trust the dealer and NOTHING GOT MESSED UP.

We bought our 2011 Tacoma back in Nov. and the salesman kept talking up the free oil changes for Toyota Care and we already knew we weren't going to use it.

Bottom line, Most service shops are there to rape you and they don't care. I just did my first oil change on my 2.7L 4x4 and I feel good because I know it was done right. I know what kind of oil I put it, how much, how tight I screwed the drain plug and filter in.

I took my wifes Nissan to an independant shop for an oil change a while back because I didn't have time to do it. Shame on me for not checking her oil until she had put 1000 miles on it - When I checked it - It was jet black, he didn't even change the oil!

We trust no-one these days as far as car maintenence - so much that I am not going to get the rear leaf spring TSB, I'm getting an OME lift instead and my wife's all for it cause she knows better than to trust the dealer.

Rock on. . .

17. May 1, 2011 at 1:46 AM
    bridaw

bridaw The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    You are fortunate. Not everyone has a place to change their own. Many home owner associations and apartments do not allow.

I'm happy with Toyota of El Cajon.

18. May 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    I'll never take my sh*t to a toyota delearship again! Don't waste ur cash...

19. May 1, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Largefarva

Largefarva Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fox Lake, IL
    Vehicle:
    '08 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    I let my dealership do all of our maintenance on my truck and my wife's Rav4. If for no other reason than to make sure that they have all records on the maintenance done on both vehicles to ensure that any warranty work that might have to be done on either vehicle doesn't get declined. My wife's vehicle is leased, and mine was as well until I decided to purchase it a month ago along with an extended 7yr/75k mile warranty.

20. May 1, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    for all the people who have toyotacare and opt not to get the maintenance done, good luck with warranty issues down the road when they find that you've done the work yourself. I am sure many out there are more than capable but when it comes to something like shouldering liability, I'd rather a toyota dealer be touching my car than me or a jiffy lube.

There's another thread where a toyota tech started a guys engine for a few seconds without oil and he got an extra 50k miles on his warranty because of it - not to mention the incident is permanantly attached to his VIN.

Products Discussed in

To Top