Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First Plug Change on 2010

Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
First Plug Change on 2010

I just did the plugs on my 2010 at 30K miles. I did the passenger side in like 5 minutes and the driver's side in like 20. Lol. I don't have too much room for my big hands. So of course I did it the right way with an impact gun set at the highest level and the regulator maxed out. It worked perfectly.

So do these plugs look normal for a 4.0? To me it looks like the combustion is a little lean. Chris4x4 where are you?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Tag for response - I plan on changing mine tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Machete Eddie will become famous soon enough

Name: Eddie
Machete Eddie's Tacoma Gallery
I thought a brown to tanish color was normal. To me they look OK. Is the one on the left side different in color?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machete Eddie View Post
I thought a brown to tanish color was normal. To me they look OK. Is the one on the left side different in color?
Yeah it was a little darker than the rest. I forgot what cylinder it came out of.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Those look normal to me..
Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you changing plugs @ 30k?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Because that's when the manual calls for it.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats when they are due to be changed.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
looks normal
Old 03-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #11
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine at 50k and thats about what mine looked like
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
ok.

I guess I need to stock up on blinker fluid and left handed monkey wrenches.

Just because the "manual" say so doesn't mean you have to change them. Those plugs shown show normal combustion. I would have chacked the gap and put them right back. Newer engines don't eat plugs like in the past and unleaded fuel helps keep them clean.

Yea but what do I know rite?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #13
muddog321 is on a distinguished road
muddog321's Tacoma Gallery
Because your Tacoma has expensive catalytic converters that the Dealer can then not cover if you do not follow their schedule - running too rich due to plugs could destroy them. Yes, they should last 100k but why risk the voided warranty. That's also why we change Mobile 1 every 5000 miles - not because it's really needed.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Banned
On maintenance I like to go by the book. 30 bucks and an hour of my time to keep my truck running at its best is more than worth doing IMO.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddog321 View Post
Because your Tacoma has expensive catalytic converters that the Dealer can then not cover if you do not follow their schedule - running too rich due to plugs could destroy them. Yes, they should last 100k but why risk the voided warranty. That's also why we change Mobile 1 every 5000 miles - not because it's really needed.

If it is due to warranty why use M1?

If you have a misfire (due to plug) it will set a code and a check engine light. An overly rich condition would not necessarily be caused by a plug. This would be more by a MAF or injector. Modern syn oil can go way longer than 5K. But we already know that right?
With so many tools available to determine useful life and condition of things from spark plugs to oil and yet the manufacturer dictates on how to waste ones money.

I was just asking the questionn and no offense meant to those who choose to do the manual thing. I guess thats why I always buy things a couple years old.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok.

I guess I need to stock up on blinker fluid and left handed monkey wrenches.

Just because the "manual" say so doesn't mean you have to change them. Those plugs shown show normal combustion. I would have chacked the gap and put them right back. Newer engines don't eat plugs like in the past and unleaded fuel helps keep them clean.

Yea but what do I know rite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
On maintenance I like to go by the book. 30 bucks andan hour of my time to keep my truck running at its best is more than worth doing IMO.
This ^^^^^

To add, at 30k miles, the plugs are used up pretty good. Comparing the electrodes of the worn vs. new plugs shows a great difference. Will tehy still fire at 80k? Sure. But performance is going to be diminished. Like metioned, for an hours time, why not replace them? Checking the plugs at 30k is a good way to see how the engine is doing anyway.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Mine looked similar at 40,000 miles (I was a little late on the plug change). My driver side gaps (NGK) were .060 - .065, the passenger side gaps (Denso) were .040 - .045 and looked a little better. I put back all Denso plugs so I guess I'll see next time if the drivers side is doing something funky or if the NGK plugs just didn't last as long.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
plugs are cheap and easy. i like tinkering, and tinkering on cheap and easy stuff is much better than difficult and expensive stuff. always.

it fills a void..haha.

those plugs look normal, well like mine..which i pulled at 40k.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #19
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Those plugs look almost identical to mine after a 30K change, with one of the plugs a little darker than the rest...I think mine was the driver side rear.

Just a little side question

My friend who has a 2008 tacoma with the 4.0 recently did his plugs after I suggested he should, he was at almost 75K, and gave him the TW link that chris 4x4 posted with the pics.

That was a little over a month ago and after two full tanks, he claims that his gas mileage is worse, from around 20 to 15mpg

I think that it may be a loose plug. Wouldn't a loose plug cause the CEL to come on though?? Guess his right foot might have gotten heavier since the plug change also..
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^^^^

To add, at 30k miles, the plugs are used up pretty good. Comparing the electrodes of the worn vs. new plugs shows a great difference. Will tehy still fire at 80k? Sure. But performance is going to be diminished. Like metioned, for an hours time, why not replace them? Checking the plugs at 30k is a good way to see how the engine is doing anyway.

Right on Chris- i replaced my plugs at 80K (they still look fresh as a daisy) but my truck acceleration was slow. after the change i thought i have 6 Secretariat in there!

"If it ain't broke, why fix it."