1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LOL Opened the hood for the first time since I bought it in Jan and there it was...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingfrog, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Good to know...I drive like I have a glass of wine on the dash and get between 17 18MPG..... no freeway driving.....Maybe it is a benefit there..who knows. Breathing better is one thing but breathing better might mean bringing in more dust and dirt as well. no?

I don;t think people buy them for looks.Who drives with their hood open? LOL I think people buy the advertising based on REAL components properly used in racing engines that really work.
    My neighbor understands how engines work and what is real and what is not. He does not believe in 5000 dino oil changes though. 3000 Dino 5000 Synthetic. That might be a little old school. When I ask him about that he says he has seen too many sludged up engines from the lack of oil changes at proper intervals. He also admitted Toyotas were notorious for sludge and therefore oil changes should be at sooner intervals than factory recommended intervals.

If it is better than the factory dirt protection I am all for it. If its adding more air and more dirt with it I would rather be stock.

The reviews (especially those with Tacomas) aren't so hot....http://www.autoanything.com/air-int...affpfx&gan_pid=k132073&gan_lid=j888414k132073

2. Mar 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    I'm pretty sure someone on here will trade you for their stock

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    No doubt.....There like $450 under there with the $150 "PowerAid" Throttle body spacer

Like a super charger!!!!! LOL

Sounds good anyway...on paper

4. Mar 20, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    I am old school and I too have seen way to many sludged up toyota and lexus motors. Way to much experience with audi and vw 1.8's as well. We change the oil every 2500-3k in the wifes 2010 Rav4 and every time we take it in the dealer thinks we are nuts! As far as the filter goes....it does help make the vehicle feel a little more torquey and probably does help with MPG. Remember....the motor needs 3 things to work, AIR, FUEL, AND SPARK. Feed the motor more air and help it with a less restrictive exhaust and it will perform better. Create a hotter spark and it might run better as long as the motor is set up for it. If you have a few engine mods and run higher grade fuel....it will run better! Problem with the filter is that it will let more dirt into the engine. Only filter that I was aware of that claimed to have the same amount of airflow as the K&N but trapped the same or more dirt than a regular paper filter was made by a company called trueflow. Just my 2 cents!

5. Mar 20, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    BRYLONATOR

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    By the way FROG....is that a baby VTX in your sig? Absolutely love those bikes! I had an 1800c but sold it to get an R and it never happened! Miss that bike

6. Mar 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    wow..

i opened my hood and checked all the fluids. but i bought my truck used off of a private seller.

i like the stock air box better. the choking point in any intake system is rarely the air cleaner. it bottlenecks somewhere downstream.

7. Mar 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Actually its a Yamaha V Star 1300.. LOL I passed on the VTX in 07 because it was not EFI. did not have self cancelling turn signals and I wanted to try a belt drive after having shaft drives for years, More immediate low end torque and no shaft jacking. All the benefits of a chain without the mess.

1800 is a beast. too big for my needs. 1300 is about right.

[​IMG]

8. Mar 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I know probably a "feel good " thing to do for most but a smart seller will have all the colors right....Gold oil, antifreeze transmission all fresh and a clean engine bay.

Dealers detail the engine bays. Service records indicated fluid changes by Toyota so really I had no reason to "look under the hood" Although I might going forward because of the aftermarket parts I found. If the stock parts were available free I would reinstall them and sell the kit on Ebay. I don't see a need in my case for a TBS and different intake.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Mar 20, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    COACHPPARK

COACHPPARK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JC
    ST. PETERSBURG
    Vehicle:
    2024 CELESTIAL SILVER METALLIC TRD SPORT
    TINTED ALL WINDOWS, SOME GRILLE BADGES,

TMI TMI..........

10. Mar 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I have an Airaid intake. It's what is called a short ram intake. Give the engine a nice sound, not sure what it does for power or mpg, cause it was on since from the previous owner.

11. Mar 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Mmmmm Tommy's has the the best burgers. :drool:

12. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    BRYLONATOR

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!

13. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    What does that thing attach to? Is there an air intake hose on the Tacoma? I ask because I don't own one yet.

As has already been stated, a bigger and less restrictive air filter will give the engine more power. I used to drive a 2001 Dodge Ram turbo diesel. A common modification for those trucks talked about on the interwebs is the "BHAF" or "Big Honkin' Air Filter". All it is is an air filter made for 18 wheeler engines that just happens to fit perfectly onto the hose that goes into the Cummins turbo. Thing works GREAT. Really lets the turbo sing. And it's cheap too! I've posted a photo below. Depending on how the Tacoma's air intake is built and depending on what non-standard canister type air filters are out there, we might could find something similar that would work and would let a lot of air into the engine.

[​IMG]

14. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    BRYLONATOR

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    That is a turbo unit! Far from factory and not a typical set up! Is that a 1st gen 4runner? EDIT: scratch that! Just saw the mopar tag on bottom of pic!

15. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    LOL. Reading is crucial. :p

16. May 12, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    ne0tas

ne0tas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
    That thing is huge. 0_O

17. May 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    [​IMG]

18. May 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    Tacozoid

Tacozoid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Katy Texas
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma Pre-runner
    Billsteins,Texas tint. Blue Dash mod. Console mod. in Blue, Customized grille
    That's why there are fire walls! If Our Taco Farts ever wind up in the combustion chamber it's Houston, We have a problem!
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top