Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck lean? Leaf spring creak?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
USNavyTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Third Class Petty Officer
USNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Truck lean? Leaf spring creak?

I've been noticing a creak everytime I exit or enter the truck, and when I push down on the bed slightly. I've also noticed about a 2 degree lean to the right side. Is this normal? I was parked on a fairly flat surface too. What should I have looked at? Leaf springs themselves? Bushings?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
and when u say right side do you mean drivers side???
if so its the taco lean.....
and the creak is the rear leaf pack......
welcome to toyo land
Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyTaco View Post
I've been noticing a creak everytime I exit or enter the truck, and when I push down on the bed slightly. I've also noticed about a 2 degree lean to the right side. Is this normal? I was parked on a fairly flat surface too. What should I have looked at? Leaf springs themselves? Bushings?
I had a similar creek. Took it into the dealer, showed it to him by pushing down on the R-R corner of the truck a couple times. They know immediately what it was - the spring silencer pad. Since it was replaced last Summer, no more noise. There's a scan of the work order in my photos if you want the part number, etc.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Chainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ed
Chainsmoker's Tacoma Gallery
M truck has these same issues. The driver side of the bed is about a half inch higher then the pasenger side, no big deal it not real noticable but i didnt notice it until i did my lift. And the creek in the leaf springs is caused buy seperation in the leafs also no big deal but if it bothers you its an easy fix. there is supposed to be a small rubber pad on both ends of every leaf and sometime they rub through or if you have an AAL the new leaf does not have this pad
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

It leans to the passenger side.

Also, it has the 3 leaf pack. Apparently the truck never had that TSB done to get the 4 leaf pack. Should i push for the dealer to replace it? Or just have them look at it, and evaluate it from there? I just dont wanna sound like a jerk since the reason ill be returning to the dealer in the first place is to have that stupid blower motor replaced and silencer kit installed.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
Chainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shedChainsmoker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If i was you, the blower motor would be a must fix that would driver me CRAZY. but the creek doesn't really bother me but if its already at the dealer the tell them to look at it and see what they can do......
I'm guessing you just got the truck.... and i am guessing you paid good money for that truck from a dealer ....... so get them to fix it... i would
... good luck
Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsmoker View Post
M truck has these same issues. The driver side of the bed is about a half inch higher then the pasenger side, no big deal it not real noticable but i didnt notice it until i did my lift.
Toytec spacer for driver's side will fix it.............

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Quote:
It leans to the passenger side.

Also, it has the 3 leaf pack. Apparently the truck never had that TSB done to get the 4 leaf pack. Should i push for the dealer to replace it? Or just have them look at it, and evaluate it from there? I just dont wanna sound like a jerk since the reason ill be returning to the dealer in the first place is to have that stupid blower motor replaced and silencer kit installed.
3 yr/36000 mile warranty on the leafs. Time for these...........

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 03-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #9

Yes. I paid good money for it. And its certified used. Which obviously makes that even more expensive. I purchased an extended warranty so I'm trying to have everything fixed that can go wrong before my warranty expires. I've just been reading all these tsb's and am starting to get worried. This is my current list of things to replace. So should I bother with the rear leafs? And if so, how do I get my dealer to replace em? I haven't towed or hauled anything over 500 pounds. So there will not be marks on the bump stops.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
just take in to the dealer and tell them whats going on with the truck. should take care of it with no big issues. also just so you know all these TSB's do not go with every truck its just little odds and ends over the past 5 years or so and most can be fixed with help from all of us here on TW and most are very simple fixes. dont worry you will love the taco
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Only thing weird it's doing is creaking whenever a person enters or exits the truck, shuts a door, or pushes down on bed. I just wondering if i should push the dealer to give me the 4 pack leaf springs.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
My truck does the exact same thing as your describing. The leafs make a creaking noise. Since I have a AAL I know the dealer will not fix it but it doesn't bother me since I know what it is and why it does it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Only thing weird it's doing is creaking whenever a person enters or exits the truck, shuts a door, or pushes down on bed. I just wondering if i should push the dealer to give me the 4 pack leaf springs.
3 yr/36000 mile warranty on the leafs. 2006 model truck = not free.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
You can do the leaves yourself, there's a write up on here. Basically need to jack the back by the frame then pry the springs apart some. Now clean and insert cut up old oil cans or bicycle tubes or some other plastic/rubber for rub protection.

The squeaky leaves won't hurt anything but it's super cool to freshly wash and shine the truck then go park the newest lowest mileage vehicle you've ever had somewhere and hop out to the soundtrack of some old rusty farm truck POS.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
3 yr/36000 mile warranty on the leafs. 2006 model truck = not free.
Even if I bought an extended platinum warranty? That covers suspension components?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #16

**Update** called dealer. Told appointment secretary I was bottoming out when carrying a load that wasn't even near the capacity. Also that leaf springs were creaking. I'll print a copy of the leaf spring tsb and leave it on the dash when I drop it off. I'm hoping that it's covered under my platinum warranty, especially since it was a certified used. Those of you who have had it done, how likely is it that they will do the tsb? Do I have to fight for it?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
You'll have to fight, most likely. I fought and fought, even got Toyota corporate involved, to no avail. However, it really depends on the dealer. You're out of warranty but I don't know how it works with Certified.

Oh, and I have the creak too.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #18

So if they won't install it. Should I just let it go? I am pretty sure they will atleast fix the creak. I just want the 4 pack springs that everyone is raving about.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
i have a 3inch lift and put an AAL in the rear
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #20

True. If they won't do it I'll put an aal in probably next summer sometime. Not a huge concern since I rarely load the bed with more than 400 pounds. Biggest thing the bed sees is lots of wood. And the occasional mulch bags. I'm gonna focus more on them doing the stupid blower. But unfortunately the sound kit is backordered. Thanks anyway