1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

window rattle fix??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDfarmerTN, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mar 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    noticed lately my driver side window has alot of rattle to it if i have it halfway down or so when i hit bumps or anything...anyone have this prob too? if so, there a easy fix, tighting it somehow maybe

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    pretzel

pretzel Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    mine does it intermittently, too - even with the window rolled up. it's starting to drive me crazy and i'm thinking about taking it up with the dealer.

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I have heard of someone on ToyotaNation putting some 3M double sided tape behind the black molding that sits behind the little sail panel. He claimed it worked. I have yet to try it.

4. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    06TXED

06TXED Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4x4
    My door windows do it to. Both of the front windows rattle and make a ticking noise when rolled down any more than a few inches. I can grab the top of the glass and move it back and forth a good 3/4 inch. Looking for a fix also.

Subbed

5. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    othater

othater Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    My drivers window rattled and then ended up falling off the track.
    Took the panel off and one of the bolts backed out on the front track.
    Added same loctite to the bolt, re-aligned window and has been good for two years+.
    I recall while removing the plastic corner window piece, be careful,
    one of the little insert locking tab fell in the door.
    Good luck, hope this helps.

6. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    othater

othater Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Wolfpack,
    It was rattling until the glass fell off the track. I assume the bolt was loose while it started rattling because the track wasn't putting enough pressure against the glass and when the bolt finally fell out, the glass came off the track.
    In my case, no more rattle.

7. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    Kurdain

Kurdain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Old thread but mine does this too.
    Rattles or 'ticks' from about 1" down to about 1/2 way down anytime the window is moved, i.e. wind buffeting it on the freeway, bumps in the road, even certain road surfaces will vibrate it to rattling. Very annoying. Both windows do it.

I took it to the dealer before my 3/36 ran out and they replaced the window regulators on both sides. It helped a lot for a month or so, but the issue slowly returned.

I am going back in on the 23rd and they are going to replace the window guides. They say on newer cars, or at least our trucks, there are no track adjustments like old cars and trucks used to have.

I will let you guys know the result, but I was hoping someone really found the issue and fix because even though the dealer is willing to help, they don't know why the windows are rattling.

8. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    thegreatwall23

thegreatwall23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Off Road
    Armor Shrockworks front bumber Shrockworks Rock Sliders Brute Force Rear Bumper XRC8 with synthetic rope Relentless Full Skid Pack Suspension Icons 2.5 extended travel all around with King 14" 700# Springs Icon Tubular UCA's All Pro Standard Leaf Pack 3 degree axle shims Wheelers front bumpstop U bolt flip kit Timbren rear bumpstop Mods rear diff breather fog light anytime ABS Disable TPMS disable Door Chime disable Seat Belt Chime Disable Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Mod BHLM Other 4.56 Nitro gears FX-R Retrofit HID's with Halos PIAA fogs and driving lights Wet Okole seat covers Weather-Tech floormats Access LiteRider bed cover AMP bed extender Viair 450P-A Rocky Clutch SD mounts Pop-n-lock tailgate lock Aux rear lights Rear sliding window security bar B.A.M.F Light Bar Ultragauge 48" Hi Lift Jack with Bed Rail Mount Bushwacker Fender Flares ECGS PTFE Bushing SS Brake Lines Brembo Blanks Hawk HPS In cab winch control (12voltguy) Tint
    Mine does the same thing on 2 of the 4 windows. I would love to know if there is a fix out there.

9. Jan 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    Take the door panels off and check to see if the bolts that mount the glass to the regulator are loose. That is what it sounds like has been the issue for a few guys above.

10. Jan 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    Kurdain

Member:
    Portland, OR
    That was my first question when I took it in originally and they said they were going to replace the regulators. They said everything was tight.

I plan to ask them again, though.

11. Jan 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Millertime187

Millertime187 I'll be your huckleberry!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Clay City, KY
    Vehicle:
    1995 Taco
    Just a few little things. It's my DD
    Mine does it about 2 inches down! Sub for fix

12. Jan 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    It did it on my 05. I just went to Wal Mart and bought some velvet and glued a strip of it to the inside on the part of the window frame that goes straight up and down in the truck and fixed the rattle

13. Feb 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Kurdain

Member:
    Portland, OR
    OK.

Window rattle fixed, for now.

1st time they replaced the window regulator, which apparently includes parts where the window mounts to the bottom of the door. This resolved the rattle for about 6 months, during this time it slowly returned until after about 6-9 months it was equal or worse than before.

Now just 2 weeks ago they replaced the rubber window track, the part that runs all the way around the sides and top of the door. The window is noticeably tighter in the track, a lot less wobble. This has resolved 99% of the rattle. It still makes the click or rattle on sharp bumps, this I can live with.

They said that the window is basically only 3 parts, the glass, track and regulator. There is no track adjustments and what-not that older cars and trucks used to have. Never had the door apart personally so I can't say.

So there you go, hope it helps and I hope it doesn't return.

14. Nov 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    Gonna have to look into these suggestions
    mine started today out of nowhere... the rattle is with the window closed all the way. And I can kinda duplicate the rattle by pressing on the window outwards while close.

15. Dec 14, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    nrotteveel

nrotteveel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma Extracab 4X4
    Just picked up a 1998 extra cab 4x4. The drivers side window was off the guides and in fact the front guide actually snapped/broke off of the connectors attaching it to the door. The welds actually failed. I don't have welding materials and just drilled and riveted the pieces back together again. Still rattles a bit, but the window isn't banging off the inside of the door. I will pickup a new guide rail or go to junkyard to find one. But wondering if your guide rails are weakening and causing some noise before total failure like mine.

16. Feb 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM
    300AACTaco

300AACTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black '15 DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    ARB Old Man Emu 90000s and 60091s OME 886s, Trim Packer, Icon Tubular Uniball UCAs, CMC, Invisible Sway Bar, Dakar Rear Leaf Packs, Timbren Rear Bumpstops, All Pro U-bolt flip up kit, Method Race Wheels NV 16X8 4.5BS, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16, DEPO Black Tail Lights, Weathertech Floormats, Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Shasta in Earth Tone Green, Custom Green Tree Fabrication Bed Rack, N-Fab Spare Tire Bed Mount
    My 2015s window just started to rattle on any less than perfectly smooth road surfaces, it's super annoying, its only the drivers side window and it sounds like it's coming from the upper left hand corner when sitting inside the truck in the drivers seat

17. Feb 4, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    Liquix

Liquix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    14 ACOR 4x4 v6
    My 2014 driver side window rattled from day one, so did the entune head unit. The dealership put some velvet strips in both areas and it seemed to stop it, fast forward a year and the window is back at it. Bummer. My stereo is also set at -1 on the bass to reduce vibration, this also helps but it sucks being constrained.

18. Oct 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    Easchar0

Easchar0 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma trd offroad pyrite mica
    My 15 does it on drivers and passengers side 15000 miles. It sucks I may try the velvet thing mention above

19. Oct 9, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    had the exact same issue. brought it to my mechanic. he found 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the motor sitting at the bottom inside of the door panel. Cost me $40. not sure what your dealer will charge.

Products Discussed in

To Top