Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

window rattle fix??

Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
TRDfarmerTN is on a distinguished road
TRDfarmerTN's Tacoma Gallery
window rattle fix??

noticed lately my driver side window has alot of rattle to it if i have it halfway down or so when i hit bumps or anything...anyone have this prob too? if so, there a easy fix, tighting it somehow maybe
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
pretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud ofpretzel has much to be proud of
pretzel's Tacoma Gallery
mine does it intermittently, too - even with the window rolled up. it's starting to drive me crazy and i'm thinking about taking it up with the dealer.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of someone on ToyotaNation putting some 3M double sided tape behind the black molding that sits behind the little sail panel. He claimed it worked. I have yet to try it.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
My door windows do it to. Both of the front windows rattle and make a ticking noise when rolled down any more than a few inches. I can grab the top of the glass and move it back and forth a good 3/4 inch. Looking for a fix also.

Subbed
Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
My drivers window rattled and then ended up falling off the track.
Took the panel off and one of the bolts backed out on the front track.
Added same loctite to the bolt, re-aligned window and has been good for two years+.
I recall while removing the plastic corner window piece, be careful,
one of the little insert locking tab fell in the door.
Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
Wolfpack,
It was rattling until the glass fell off the track. I assume the bolt was loose while it started rattling because the track wasn't putting enough pressure against the glass and when the bolt finally fell out, the glass came off the track.
In my case, no more rattle.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread but mine does this too.
Rattles or 'ticks' from about 1" down to about 1/2 way down anytime the window is moved, i.e. wind buffeting it on the freeway, bumps in the road, even certain road surfaces will vibrate it to rattling. Very annoying. Both windows do it.

I took it to the dealer before my 3/36 ran out and they replaced the window regulators on both sides. It helped a lot for a month or so, but the issue slowly returned.

I am going back in on the 23rd and they are going to replace the window guides. They say on newer cars, or at least our trucks, there are no track adjustments like old cars and trucks used to have.

I will let you guys know the result, but I was hoping someone really found the issue and fix because even though the dealer is willing to help, they don't know why the windows are rattling.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Take the door panels off and check to see if the bolts that mount the glass to the regulator are loose. That is what it sounds like has been the issue for a few guys above.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
Take the door panels off and check to see if the bolts that mount the glass to the regulator are loose. That is what it sounds like has been the issue for a few guys above.
That was my first question when I took it in originally and they said they were going to replace the regulators. They said everything was tight.

I plan to ask them again, though.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it about 2 inches down! Sub for fix
Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
It did it on my 05. I just went to Wal Mart and bought some velvet and glued a strip of it to the inside on the part of the window frame that goes straight up and down in the truck and fixed the rattle
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
OK.

Window rattle fixed, for now.

1st time they replaced the window regulator, which apparently includes parts where the window mounts to the bottom of the door. This resolved the rattle for about 6 months, during this time it slowly returned until after about 6-9 months it was equal or worse than before.

Now just 2 weeks ago they replaced the rubber window track, the part that runs all the way around the sides and top of the door. The window is noticeably tighter in the track, a lot less wobble. This has resolved 99% of the rattle. It still makes the click or rattle on sharp bumps, this I can live with.

They said that the window is basically only 3 parts, the glass, track and regulator. There is no track adjustments and what-not that older cars and trucks used to have. Never had the door apart personally so I can't say.

So there you go, hope it helps and I hope it doesn't return.