Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dakine Truck Pad

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
Dakine Truck Pad

I was looking into purchasing the Dakine Truck Pad to haul my mountain bike. Does anyone have experience with this pad on there 2nd Gen Tacoma? Also, what size do I get? The large or small?? I sadly don't have a tape measure to measure the tailgate width. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a cap or tonneau of some kind?

I would avoid the truck pads. Your bike still moves around on hard corners unless you bungee it down or something.

For much cheaper, I would get a Delta bike mount that attaches to the OEM bed rails and you just set your fork on it when traveling. They're like $15.

If you really want to go with the truck pad, though, the tailgate width is 52.9". So go from there.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen those Dakine truck pads on tailgates before. What is the main purpose for them, I couldnt really figure them out?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
The bikes still have the ability to tip over, or slide.... although your tailgate will be protected, your bike will not.

you are better off doing this....

Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
magnew is on a distinguished road
magnew's Tacoma Gallery
I have a small Dakine pad on my truck, I love it!!!! it so much easier than taking off the front tires, I can haul 4 bikes with no problems. My 2010 enduro doesn't tip at all, my friends 5.75 tips just a bit. To solve that problem we use a bungee cord in his front wheel and secure it to the hitch. it a great pad fo sure
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILSTI View Post
^^ Thats great if you have regular quick release and drop outs. But if you have a thru axle you will need an adapter for that to work or if you have a triple clamp setup its not going to work. Get the Dakine mat or a blanket and a bungee and you will be fine.

Touche!

I mainly use mine for my road and tri bikes, which have the quick release. I don't have a hard core mountain bike....
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, I have these cleats I got on eBay and they work but don't fit my bike very well and they tend to get loose so the bike rattles a lot and even fell over this week. That's why I was looking at the pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Dakine Truck Pad-imageuploadedbytapatalk1300726509.248943.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
MadeInMaine

EMS:
Mine cost around $35 each I believe. My tri bike is rather pricey, so I didn't want to chance it falls around. It locks in great, and Ive even had 3 bikes loaded up for a race, and no problems at all.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
eachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shedeachin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
eachin's Tacoma Gallery
c/p from my post in another thread:

A couple of things to add about the pickup pads.

You CAN run the large version on the 2nd gen tacomas, yes, it's too big, but you're talking about 1cm over overlap on each side, this is a way better option than not covering the entire tailgate which WILL eventually result in scratches when you shake the bikes out of position on bumpy fireroads.

Also, the dakine pickup pad is too thin, and prone to wear to the point where the padding is virtually non existent in places if you actually use it. I'd strongly recommend considering a little extra padding underneath it. I run pipe insulation over the top of the tailgate to protect the down tube on my bikes, and I put a couple of towels, or a padded moving blanket under the pad for a little extra padding to protect the tail gate.

and yes, wash the under side of the pad, and the tailgate periodically or it will scratch your tail gate.

It's not perfect, but it's cheap, works well, and I've fit 6 mountain bikes in the back of my old short bed, there's no other way you can possibly do that with all the wheels still on the bikes.

Oh, and I'd consider taking the pad in at night unless you garage your truck. Mine was stolen right off the truck while it sat in front of my house, and I live in a pretty quiet/safe neighbourhood.

A bungee cord works great for holding everything in place.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
Stack Knots is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Danny
Stack Knots's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...up-camera.html

Id ask him some of those questions
Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #13

They have the pads on amazon for 60 bucks which is a pretty deal. I think I may bite the bullet and do it.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILSTI View Post
^^ Thats great if you have regular quick release and drop outs. But if you have a thru axle you will need an adapter for that to work or if you have a triple clamp setup its not going to work. Get the Dakine mat or a blanket and a bungee and you will be fine.
These are great. they lock, fit perfectly for the tacoma and the C/S is outstanding..

http://www.rockymounts.com/Locking_Clutch_p/012.htm

For Thru Axles:

http://www.rockymounts.com/FlyTrap_p/0150.htm
Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
I like beer, I brew beer!
PS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPS78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rancher
PS78's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Dakine Small truck pad for my 2011 quad cab tacoma, it works wonders since I ride a downhill bike and it doesnt have a quick release for the 20mm through axle. The bike fits in perfect and doesnt move at all. My road bike will probably shift slightly but i havent seen any bikes tip over to the point of sliding out of the pad. Its a quick easy way to haul bikes, and cheap.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
ekms377 is on a distinguished road

ekms377's Tacoma Gallery
Do you use the straps? Seems like a pain to fish them through the bottom. Also, do you use some type of tie down or bungee??
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
I have a dakine small truck pad on my 4runner and it works perfectly. 1 ratchet strap on the bikes holds them vertically on any corner.

Highly recommend it; it is a lot more convenient than taking a rim on and off the bike.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #20
BikeRipper is on a distinguished road
BikeRipper's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys leave the pad on all the time or take it off when your not hauling bike?