1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by itsjustaliftedXR, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mar 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    itsjustaliftedXR

itsjustaliftedXR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '11 4Runner Trail
    Anyone else have over 140K miles on their 05+ tacoma and have any problems??

I posted earlier in another section, but have had no luck. My friend's 05 v6 is leaking coolant from the head gasket into cylinder 4 causing it to misfire and the dealer wants to charge $4000 to repair.

Is this a fair price? Has anyone had this problem or something similar? I traded my 07 tacoma last year and at 55K it had transmission "issues" that other members were experiencing too. So if someone else has had this happen, PLEASE let me know. :confused:

2. Mar 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    itsjustaliftedXR

itsjustaliftedXR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '11 4Runner Trail
    hmm.. nobody has had a problem like this on a 1st or 2nd gen? I knew it was rare, but surely someone has some info on this repair.. Since $4000 is close to half of what this truck is worth, the price of this repair will most likely determine whether this truck stays or goes... :confused:

3. Mar 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Shop around. See what it costs and weigh it with how long you plan to keep it and the shape everything else is in.
    Head gasket usually goes when the engine is overheated. Make sure you go to a reputable rebuilder, or find a known good engine to swap.

4. Mar 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    $4000 is a LOT less expensive than starting all over....AND lose all your resale on top....

For $4000 you may get another 100K out of it......Most of the time it pays to fix rather than replace. Hell spend $6000 and go bumper to bumper.

Only your finances can answer your question. Do you want to spend $4000 or $25000+ to get around?

5. Mar 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    If you're getting rid of it, the value of the truck is either $4K broke or $4K fixed ($8K value minus the $4K investment), so if it were me, I'd try to trade it in as is on a new/different car. Ask the dealer how much he'd give you in trade as-is, they might give you closer to $5 or $6 since they can fix it cheaper than what they quoted you.

If you're looking to keep it and drive it for a year or two longer, it will probably be advantageous to get it fixed and drive it until something else breaks.

I had a headgasket go out of a car about 7 years ago, and even with remachining the heads the total cost was around $1200, but I sure as heck didn't have it done at a dealer!

6. Mar 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    $4k is insane for HG job... LOL Yes it is time consuming job, however $4K is nuts. The head gasket costs $60 if that. Shop around, head gasket should be about 8-10 hours by skilled mechanic. Unless the head is warped, now that can get more expensive...

7. Mar 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    Krasus22

Krasus22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Murdered Out
    Blacked Out Badges, Blacked Out Front Grill, BLacked Out Rear Bumper, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Kenwood DDX616, BLHM, Flowmaster Exhaust.
    I don't have any answers to your questions, but I have an 05 tacoma with 120k miles, 0 problems here

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    olgzr

olgzr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denton, Tx
    On a previous mini pickup, (not a toyota), my son overheated the engine and blew the head gasket. I took the head to a rebuilder where they found that it had cracks. He found a used head, rebuilt it using the cam and other parts from my head. The charge was very reasonable. My son and I rebuilt the engine while the head was out for repair. Overall, the cost was not bad and we got several more years out of the truck. I did not use the dealer, the cost would have been much higher.

9. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Mar 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    First time I heard engine swap money quoted for a HG replacement...wow...

11. Mar 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
    I would think you could get a crate engine dropped in for that price. An upper enginer rebuild should be less than 1500.

Products Discussed in

To Top