Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

#^$@! Broken motor mount

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
wow! Im wondering the same thing. Does the 07 and newer trucks have this issue too. or did they re-enforce the frame at the motor mounts.....
They are reinforced.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
They changed the frames at some point in 06, AFTER my truck was built apparently.

I wasn't jumping the truck or anything crazy but I was driving it like a truck should be off-road. I drive pretty fast but nothing I would think was abusive... especially not abusive to my frame. I almost don't even feel like telling Toyota just cause I know they will put it all back on me cause I installed the lift, even though there are numerous complaints about this. Seems telling them would just give them reason do deny my any claim against my recently purchased extended warranty knowing my frame has been modified by a fabricator. I can see it now "ahh, you hade frame damage and your AC went out bacause of that, sorry warranty denied"
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
depending on how much stuff is in the way, repair looks fairly simple...make SURE the battery is REMOVED from the the truck and unbolt every ground you can find. Put the welding ground AS CLOSE to the weld zone as possible.

Best of luck.

Howard
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #24
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
I was driving it like a truck should be off-road. I drive pretty fast but nothing I would think was abusive...
welcome to desert wheeling...

if you hit a rock or hard terrain at speed, the energy of the impact has to go somewhere, and it found your motor mount/frame...

i have broken my driver side motor mount a couple times...

once you get it fixed, maybe have your frame boxed/plated/gusseted and you will be fine... unless of course your concept of "pretty fast" is actually TOO FAST... haha...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #25
kite will become famous soon enough

kite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
depending on how much stuff is in the way, repair looks fairly simple...make SURE the battery is REMOVED from the the truck and unbolt every ground you can find. Put the welding ground AS CLOSE to the weld zone as possible.

Best of luck.

Howard
^What he said.

Unless the broken mount threw off something else under hood or along the driveline, this should be a very simple repair.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #26
taco06 will become famous soon enough
Name: Alejandro V
taco06's Tacoma Gallery
Any one have a pic of reinforce motor mount?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #27
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco06 View Post
Any one have a pic of reinforce motor mount?
i just had my driver side motor mount rebuilt today...

i will be at Bert's Mega Mall on Azusa on Thursday mid morning if you want to meet up and look at it up close in person...
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #28
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
i just had my driver side motor mount rebuilt today...

i will be at Bert's Mega Mall on Azusa on Thursday mid morning if you want to meet up and look at it up close in person...
Can you post a pic if you can...I might as well re enforce mine before it happens to me...just for piece of mind
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #29
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Here in california they have to prove the damage was caused by the install before they can deny your claim. If you had it installed by a professional keep the receipt. Find as many posts as you can about this issue and people having it, print them up, and bring them to your toyota dealer. You shouldn't have any problems having them fix it. By not having them fix it, it can cause you problems in the future. They may be doing a repair, see the repaired frame and deny your claim because they believe it was in an accident and have no record of it. I'd give the dealer an "anonymous" call and ask them some questions. Also how long was your lift installed before this happened?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Just found that my frame is cracked under the driver side motor mount.

2006 with 80k miles.

I'm gonna take it to the dealer and see what they say but I'm pretty sure dealer will not replace the frame. Even though it has nothing to do with the mounts I have sliders welded on and a steel bumper and winch.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #31
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Update: the dealer looked at it and said they would not replace the frame. They gave me the 800 number to Toyota and said to call them and complain.

I'm not interested in weeks of complaining to Toyota and months without my truck if the dealer replaces the frame. Plus any problems that arise from getting a frame replaced.

I ordered the gussets from DMZ fab and will be doing the repair this weekend.