Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wind noise

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
rv210 will become famous soon enoughrv210 will become famous soon enough

Name: robert
rv210's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Wind noise

so my 2005 tacoma has been having this wind noise since the day i bought it. i thought that it was from the windshield so i replaced it with a new one and the noise still seems to be there. its a whistiling noise that seems to be coming from the roof behind the rear view mirror (hope that makes sense). i cannot put my finger on it but it drives me crazy. it happens only when i am going against the wind and on the highway. any ideas?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is a TSB for that, does it happen at high speeds?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 did the same thing at 65+ mph. Dealer did something to gasket and so far so good. There is a TSB for this.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #4

rv210's Tacoma Gallery
it does happen at high speeds. 50+ on windy days.

forgive me for being ignorant but what is TSB?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv210 View Post
it does happen at high speeds. 50+ on windy days.

forgive me for being ignorant but what is TSB?
TSB = technical service bulletin
Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
The TSB is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB_Windshield_Wind_Noise_NV006-07.pdf (140.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
newtaco2008 is on a distinguished road
newtaco2008's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem with my 2008 access cab. I've been to the dealership several times, they replaced all the door seals, adjusted the doors and it still does it. This is the only problem I have with my Tacoma but I'm tired of trying to fix it. I've come to the conclusion that it is a design flaw from Toyota and I'm learning to live with it.
The TSB that people are talking about is the kazoo sound from the windshield when traveling at higher speeds..
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #9

rv210's Tacoma Gallery
it was a cracked windshield and a buddy who works at a glass shop replaced it for me for cheap. i wish i was made of money tho lol
Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Alejo is on a distinguished road
Name: Alejo
Alejo's Tacoma Gallery
yes, TSB NV006-07
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #11

rv210's Tacoma Gallery
what if im over the 36k will they still do it?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it was a cracked windshield and a buddy who works at a glass shop replaced it for me for cheap. i wish i was made of money tho lol
I will say that I'm surprised you still hear it. There were two initial causes for the '05 to hear the noise. One was a tiny pinhole leak in the windshield seal above the mirror. The second was the rubber molding going around the windshield vibrating due to the wind. I would think the replacement of the windshield would have fixed both situations (it sure did mine).

Are you actually hearing the kazoo sound (like blowing on the edge of a grass blade)?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #13

rv210's Tacoma Gallery
I will say that I'm surprised you still hear it. There were two initial causes for the '05 to hear the noise. One was a tiny pinhole leak in the windshield seal above the mirror. The second was the rubber molding going around the windshield vibrating due to the wind. I would think the replacement of the windshield would have fixed both situations (it sure did mine).

Are you actually hearing the kazoo sound (like blowing on the edge of a grass blade)?

i still hear it but only when i am in windy conditions and the truck is going against the wind. it was a steady noise prior to getting the new windshield but since then it has calmed down a lot. i wouldn't say it is a piece of grass in the wind rather a whistle blowing intermediately.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Banned
Sixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kreg
Sixfeathers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so my 2005 tacoma has been having this wind noise since the day i bought it. i thought that it was from the windshield so i replaced it with a new one and the noise still seems to be there. its a whistiling noise that seems to be coming from the roof behind the rear view mirror (hope that makes sense). i cannot put my finger on it but it drives me crazy. it happens only when i am going against the wind and on the highway. any ideas?
It is the antenna.My chevy blazer did the same thing for many years and a smart young man told me to replace the antenna and I did never heard of it again. it is he way the wind grabs the antenna and moves around it.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i still hear it but only when i am in windy conditions and the truck is going against the wind. it was a steady noise prior to getting the new windshield but since then it has calmed down a lot. i wouldn't say it is a piece of grass in the wind rather a whistle blowing intermediately.
Does it go away or change frequency if you push up/out on the windshield behind the mirror when it's happening?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #17

rv210's Tacoma Gallery
dude great feedback peoples. i am going to call the toyota dealership in the am and see what they have to say. sames noise as the one attached in the RSBMG link. i thought i had bought a lemon i guess not!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Yep, that's the noise for the TSB I posted above. Yours was intermittent in the video. You should try driving on a highway with a 70 mph speed limit and a head wind for hundreds and hundreds of miles. It got annoying real fast since it was constant and A LOT louder. I'm just glad my windshield broke awhile back and I had to replace it. I don't miss the windshield buzz.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #19

rv210's Tacoma Gallery
so i just got off of the phone with the toyota delaership and they claim there is nothing they can do since the truck has a new windshield. they also say that the windshield is not the problem and to have a tech diagnosos the problem would be 100$ fee which i think is garbage. any ideas on what i should do?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #20
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so i just got off of the phone with the toyota delaership and they claim there is nothing they can do since the truck has a new windshield. they also say that the windshield is not the problem and to have a tech diagnosos the problem would be 100$ fee which i think is garbage. any ideas on what i should do?
I can see their point. Having already had your windshield replaced should have taken care of the problem from the factory and any problems with the replacement windshield installation are the responsibility of the glass company that did the work.

I would say try diagnosing it yourself first. Take some wide masking tape and tape off the top and sides of the windshield molding. If that didn't eliminate the sound, then you have something else causing it (not likely if it's the same sound as the video in the link above). If it does eliminate it, then maybe you should be talking to the glass company that replaced your windshield because of a "faulty" install.