Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What is this loud popping noise when I turn my front wheels out of a parking spot?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Fore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura about
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
What is this loud popping noise when I turn my front wheels out of a parking spot?

Help, I still don't know what this loud popping sound is when I turn my front wheels out of a parking spot it's starting to get worse and happens all the time now? It's very loud and sounds like something is going to bust, it's becoming sooo annoying!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
its uhh it happened to my friend... shit. rubber bushings i think it was. ill try to findout for you.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds to me like a CV shaft in the front end is going. When they crap out they make that kind of noise, especially bad when turning. Check the rubber boots on each of the front shafts to see if there is a visable tear or crack, as that is usually a good sign that the failure is there. Good luck
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to guess at wheel bearings. Jack the front of the truck up and grab the wheel at top and bottom and push/pull if you feel any play at all the wheel bearings are bad. I've seen quite a few threads on here about wheel bearings going out.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i have been having this exact problem for well over a year now....
and lets just say alot of miles driven and i wheel the piss out of it and nothing has broken ...."yet"
i gave up
Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
Help, I still don't know what this loud popping sound is when I turn my front wheels out of a parking spot it's starting to get worse and happens all the time now? It's very loud and sounds like something is going to bust, it's becoming sooo annoying!
Is it only when the steering wheel is at full lock?

Pap
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
tie rod ends. grease em
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Could be your ball joints, I have some sort of clunk when I turn the wheel and I know my upper ball joints are out its just a matter of getting time to fix them
Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
I would say your axle seals, but you don't have them so most likely your tie rod ends... I had the same problem...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely it's your lower control arm bushings. Happens on mine too.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
They are more like guide lines.
sloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nicesloppyjoe is just really nice

sloppyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
OP is 2wd

Ahh, Thanks. that would not be his issue then. Sry

I always assume every one has the 4x4 for some reason...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
Ahh, Thanks. that would not be his issue then. Sry

I always assume every one has the 4x4 for some reason...
mee too.....well that elimates his cv's and mine too....
Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
cv joints
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
More info:

Are you lifted?
Have you gone off roading recently (dirt roads, gravel, etc.)?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Has OP had alignment recently? I noticed this too but not at full right on steering stops. Looked under truck and another feature of the dealership alignment that robbed me of caster when they rebuilt my leaky steering rack was that whoever attempted to align it had the outer tie rod end on the passenger side angled up where it looked to be hitting on the spindle where it connects to tie rod. Metal on metal squawk and not at full lock on the steering. Making them try again and give me back 2.5 caster while they are at it. Lame half ass bullshit..................
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
Syncros is on a distinguished road
Syncros's Tacoma Gallery
If its happening with the steering at full lock, it's the little nylon cap on the steering stop. It's most likely missing, what you are hearing is the steel parts rubbing together and creaking. Common problem on Toyota's, putting the steering to full lock and letting it rub the stop isn't really good for the vehicle anyway.

Don't go replacing a bunch of parts without checking these first, dead simple fix.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
Fore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura aboutFore has a spectacular aura about
Fore's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, a lot of good suggestions. To reply to a couple of you, no the truck is not lifted, it's never goes off roading, that's why I bought a prerunner. The tires are one step up from stock. It doesn't happen when I hit a bump or anything, just when I'm turn slowly out of a parking spot, left, right it doesn't matter same loud metal pop. Really don't want to go to the stealership to troubleshoot this, we have the worst Toyota Dealership in the state of Virginia. (Berglund Toyota) bunch of scam rip off artist. I guess I'll just live with it till something breaks.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Thanks everyone, a lot of good suggestions. To reply to a couple of you, no the truck is not lifted, it's never goes off roading, that's why I bought a prerunner. The tires are one step up from stock. It doesn't happen when I hit a bump or anything, just when I'm turn slowly out of a parking spot, left, right it doesn't matter same loud metal pop. Really don't want to go to the stealership to troubleshoot this, we have the worst Toyota Dealership in the state of Virginia. (Berglund Toyota) bunch of scam rip off artist. I guess I'll just live with it till something breaks.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You may want to check the lower control arm bolts, and make sure they are tight. Also, check the springs to see if a rock got in them.