Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gentex Auto Dimming mirror install

Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Gentex Auto Dimming mirror install

Has anyone installed one of these themselves? If so, was it difficult? Anyone know of where I could find install/pics for installing?
Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the overhead compass?

If yes - that makes the install pretty easy. Just remove the overhead console and splice the power into the Temp/compass power (ignition power).

I installed (not a Gentex) but a homelink auto dimming mirror.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Do you have the overhead compass?

If yes - that makes the install pretty easy. Just remove the overhead console and splice the power into the Temp/compass power (ignition power).

I installed (not a Gentex) but a homelink auto dimming mirror.
No, I have don't have an overhead compass.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to ur local dealer. Thats what I did, wasnt brave enough to wire it myself, I have the Gentex auto dimming with homelink
Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
Take it to ur local dealer. Thats what I did, wasnt brave enough to wire it myself, I have the Gentex auto dimming with homelink
Pretty expensive option to have a dealer do it......think I'll try myself. Can't be that hard and I expect/hope it's already pre-wired for it as I could have ordered it as an option.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Pretty expensive option to have a dealer do it......think I'll try myself. Can't be that hard and I expect/hope it's already pre-wired for it as I could have ordered it as an option.
I dont think it is. 05-08 Tacoma just had the shitty normal rear view mirrors with no option of an auto dimming mirror. The directions for my mirror said run it a long the top of the headliner next to the windshield down the pillar down the floor where some electrical components are and thats where you hook it up...luckily i have an over head temp/compass console so they powered it from there
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All you gotta do is find an 'ignition' power source and tap into it. It's not that difficult - cept pulling headliners & trim pieces and routing the wire.

Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I installed one of these auto-dimming/compass/temp mirrors in my car. Wasn't that big of a deal even tho mine wasn't wired for it. As stated, find a pwr wire and ground it was about it other than running temp probe out to bottom of radiator support.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Taco Supremist
spearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to allspearhead is a name known to all

spearhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Absolutely
You will have a wire harness near the front center of the headliner even though you do not have the compass.
The ground is obvious but you may want to tap for a good ignition wire. Seems like the one I used was black with a purple stripe ?? -Can't remember