Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why does the manual say I don't ever need to change my diff oil?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Why does the manual say I don't ever need to change my diff oil?

I'm coming up on 30K miles here so I was looking at the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" that came with my owners manual.

It says that at 30K, the rear diff oil change is recommended "only for Preunners and 4wd vehicles with an optional limited slip differential". It goes on to say that those trucks without a limited slip only need to "inspect" the diff oil....I have a 2009 Prerunner SR5, which does not have a mechanical LSD.

So I got to looking through the other mileages and at no point at all does it say the diff oil in a non-lsd truck needs to be changed, ever.

This seems ridiculous to me, and I'm going to change the diff oil at 30K regardless, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I wanted to see what others have to say about this, or am I just reading it wrong?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sitting at the 50,242 km mark right now. I'll be changing mine come spring regardless
Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
I think it means change as needed. I would go ahead and change it too, it wont hurt.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I changed mine to 75W-90 Mobil 1 synthetic at around 45k miles. I'm at 86k now and will be changing it again soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
I think it means change as needed. I would go ahead and change it too, it wont hurt.

That's what I assume, but one would think that Toyota might suggest that it would be "needed" at some point in the first 120,000 miles of the life of the vehicle
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Since an open diff doesn't see heat and wear of a LSD diff there is less of a need to change the oil. I changed mine thisbpast weekend at 30K miles anyway.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I would switch it over to synthetic and let that go 60k.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Since an open diff doesn't see heat and wear of a LSD diff there is less of a need to change the oil. I changed mine thisbpast weekend at 30K miles anyway.
Did the oil look like it needed to be changed in your opinion?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Did the oil look like it needed to be changed in your opinion?
There was some crap on the diff magnets but nothing serious. The oil was a little darker than it is new but it wasn't black. I'm sure I would have been fine if I let it go to 50K like I had originally planned.