Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Change Interval

Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
TheJDawg is on a distinguished road
TheJDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change Interval

I always went by the 3,500 mile rule, but I drove a 12 year old vehicle before my Tacoma that I just recently got. I was looking through the manual on the Tacoma, and it has the intervals set at 5,000 miles. Is there a reason for this? Newer engines can take 5,000 miles in between? Or if I take it to Toyota (as assumed by the manual) to do my oil change, they put in synthetic or something like that? Just curious as to why it has that large of intervals.

EDIT: It's the V6, by the way.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Today's oil lasts longer than yesterday's oil.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
kahanabob has a spectacular aura aboutkahanabob has a spectacular aura about
kahanabob's Tacoma Gallery
i do 4k miles or when oil starts turning black wichever comes first....i would never trust something like Amsoil they say 25K miles.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Today's oil lasts longer than yesterday's oil.
In a general sense? Not just synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
i do 4k miles or when oil starts turning black wichever comes first....i would never trust something like Amsoil they say 25K miles.
25K between oil changes?? Holy smokes I've never heard that. I wouldn't trust it either.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I believe all modern oils last longer than before. Plenty of people have ran Amsoil for an extended period and never had a problem. They have even sent in the oil for testing and it is still good. Would I let it go 25K? Nope. The 3000 mile oil change is a thing of the past.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I do between 5-7k oil changes.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
I do 3k because whats an extra 30$?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I change my non synthetic oil at 3,000 mile intervals and synthetic oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

I also agree that oil today is better engineered and can maintain its lubricating properties for longer intervals than 10-15 years ago.

I think if you have the dealership perform your oil changes, you're going to have to specify synthetic or non-synthetic oil.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I follow the owner's manual. 5000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. I know the oil can go farther than that, but I don't want Toyota to have an excuse to void my warranty if something happens to the engine.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
Yeah same here.....Twice a year plain Dino. One at the dealership (to maintain records ) and one between I would rather change with less expensive oil more often. Do the same with the bike. It's cheap insurance and doesn't hurt a thing. $12 for oil.... and a filter every other change.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
If I did a 3K change then I would be doing it about every 3 months. Also you are just wating oil doing it every 3K. I have been doing a 5K change for years now and I have never had a problem. Acutally I went 7500 mile changes on my Ranger. No problem with it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I go 7k on Pennzoil Synthetic.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
xpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxpert1111 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xpert1111's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Yeah same here.....Twice a year plain Dino. One at the dealership (to maintain records ) and one between I would rather change with less expensive oil more often. Do the same with the bike. It's cheap insurance and doesn't hurt a thing. $12 for oil.... and a filter every other change.
Don't think I would do the filter every other oil change though.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Very good info. Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
once a year for me
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Wouldn't it be the opposite with a filter every time and oil every other?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
I do 5000 miles

Oil, filter, and tire rotation

on the 5000s - 5k,10k,15k,etc

keeps it simple
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
when the light comes on duhhh.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #19
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
Wouldn't it be the opposite with a filter every time and oil every other?
The interval is nearly half of what the manufacturer requires. I have Toyota do the full oil and filter at 5000 miles. 2500-3000 miles later I just put fresh oil in. The filter should last 5000 miles as the manufacturer recommends.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #20
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
I go in at every 5000 since new...never had an engine problem n still runs like a champ just yesterday she turned 70,000 n had the oil changed