1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long could it go with no ATF fluid?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    I've been changing my oil for about 50,000 miles now and I just realized I've never located the transmission drain plug. Where is it? I cant find photos of it with the full underbelly of the truck in the photo... the drain I typically do is the bolt that is exposed due to a little "U" cut in my stock skid plate.

If I did ever accidentally drain the wrong thing how soon would I notice?

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    Wv countryboy

Wv countryboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    white 03 taco
    camo head liner door panels, cobra 29 cb with blue tooth
    as soon as you put it in drive

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    DRTCWBY

DRTCWBY Member

Member:
    Bend
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC LB 4X4
    ...well it wont go at all with "no ATF fluid" :0

The drain plug is a 14mm just about a foot aft of the front crossmember.

DC

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    oh, so if i've driven 50+ miles since pulling the plug its pretty safe to say I pulled the right one? (the dip stick not being overfilled is probably a good hint as well, lol)

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    X2

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    The transmission on the these trucks is a sealed unit. It's not easily changed by the end user and it's done for a reason. There is no dipstick or normal fill point for the transmission.

If you accidentally drained your transmission you'd know as soon as you started the truck and put it in gear. You would not get very far at all.

Have your transmission flushed at the recommended interval (IIRC, 60,000 miles) by the dealer.

7. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    Wv countryboy

Wv countryboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    white 03 taco
    camo head liner door panels, cobra 29 cb with blue tooth
    plus atf is red you would of noticed(i hope)

8. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Ya no ATF (the f stands for fluid by the way, no need to say it twice) means no torque converting. One end will just spin and you will go absolutely nowhere.

Also as mentioned the fluid is a bright red, very hard to miss. Looks nothing like motor oil.

9. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I've read that Toyota says color of the WS ATF fluid in the V6 trannys is not indicative of health. Apparently that's because WS turns brown long before it's actually due for a change. Anybody have an opinion on this?

10. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Years ago I rented a car with an AT that developed an ATF leak while I had it.

As the fluid leaked out, it was like driving a car with a clutch that was wearing down as you used it - I had to keep higher and higher RPMs just to keep speed, which was going lower and lower.

Managed to get back to where I was staying and called the rental car company - they brought out a tow truck and a replacement car.

So yeah, with no fluid at all, I don't think you're moving the car from where it sits - at least not under its own power.

11. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I would hope you would notice the second the fluid started flowing red.

12. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    You'd notice the minute you look up at the middle of the truck removing a drain bolt that's no where near the engine.

13. Mar 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    If NOT the color, the smell. ATF has a very noticeable smell, different from oil, that comes from the friction modifiers that are based on amines. And you don't have to stick your face in the pan to smell it!

Also... to answer the question... it wouldn't go very long completely without ATF. In fact, wouldn't move at all, since fluid pressure is needed to operate valves and torque converter. You'd probably notice partial loss of fluid by flaky shifting way before permanent damage, unless you persisted in driving it that way.

Products Discussed in

To Top