Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Diff and Transfer Case Oil Change Howto

Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #221
Redsoxnation is on a distinguished road

Redsoxnation's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys for the info...

now i need to dig up that DYI spark plug thread.. it looked simple also..

Not doing Auto Tranny.... I'll let dealer flush that...

anybody have torque specs for uni joints bolts?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #222
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxnation View Post
anybody have torque specs for uni joints bolts?
If you're referring to the drive shaft flange bolts at the rear of the transmission and in front of the rear differential, they are 65 ft-lbs. Front drive shaft bolts (shaft between tranfer case and front differential - for 4x4 trucks) receive 54 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #223
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed out my Front & Rear Diff gear oil along with my transfer case @ 17k miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90.

Dirtiest oil was my front diff????? Transfer case oil looked brand new, Rear was a little dirty. Both front and rear magnets had crap on them. The front diff plugs we're definitely the most difficult to remove, especially the drain plug!

Thanks for the great write up!! Doing the diff breather mod tomorrow after I pick up my union from the Toyota parts dept.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #224
myfirst06taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
myfirst06taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'ed
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #226
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed out the f&r diff,xfer case and manual trans gear oil with mobil1 75w-90 on my 2011 2.7 . Here is a pic of the front diff plug at 6,100 miles . The rear was a little worse with shavings etc. The manual trans and xfer case oil looked ok but the diffs were a bit black .

Couple things I did to fill easier was turn the front wheels toward the passenger side and I also removed the driver side bump stop for easier access to filling the front diff . Remove the spare tire for easier access to fill the rear diff . I used all quarts with no pump .

The whole job called for 8.1 qts and I used 8qts . Took 2 hours by myself .

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #227
dismember
Supertramp has a spectacular aura aboutSupertramp has a spectacular aura aboutSupertramp has a spectacular aura about

Supertramp's Tacoma Gallery
great write up!

subbed.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #228

great write up on fluid exchange on all diffs....

Mine will be due this Fall.. I plan on doing myself..

2006 Taco 4x4 TRD with locking rear diff ( dash button) LSD additive or not?

Question?

1. Can I use the same type/weight on all three FR Diff / Tranfer case / Rear Diff..

2. Does it have to be synthetic ? I was planning on using Valvoline 80W-90 High Performance Gear Oil(QT) on sale at Pepboys

3. how much will I need in Qts ?

front-
trans-
rear-

Thanks guys
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #229
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Question?

1. Can I use the same type/weight on all three FR Diff / Tranfer case / Rear Diff..

2. Does it have to be synthetic ? I was planning on using Valvoline 80W-90 High Performance Gear Oil(QT) on sale at Pepboys

front-
trans-
rear-

Thanks guys
i wouldnt be able to tell you with the 2nd gens but front diff and rear is the same weight. and usually you fill until it starts dripping from the fill plug, same with the transfer you fill until it starts dripping, but like i said thats with a 1st gen so hopefully a person with a 2nd gen helps you here in a bit
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #230
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Question?

front-
trans-
rear-

Thanks guys
How much for the five gallon bucket? I could use a couple...
Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #231
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No additive needed.

Quote:

front-
trans-
rear-
All the info is in the owner's manual under Chapter 8: Specifications. Go to page 398: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...html?locale=en

75W-90 will cover the needs of all three components. 80W90 would be too thick for the front diff and T-case.

I used a "fluid extraction" pump instead of OP's bottle cap transfer pump. It's faster but requires more care when handling:

Old 03-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #232
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
I really wished I could have seen this thread before... I spend this past weekend trying to do all that stuff and some info in here could have made it a lot easier
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
No additive needed.

All the info is in the owner's manual under Chapter 8: Specifications. Go to page 398: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...html?locale=en

75W-90 will cover the needs of all three components. 80W90 would be too thick for the front diff and T-case.

I used a "fluid extraction" pump instead of OP's bottle cap transfer pump. It's faster but requires more care when handling:

Ok check the manual link.. says to use straight 80 or 90 W in rear..

and how is Hypoid gear oil differ from regular gear oil?

So in closing it is safe to use 75w90 all around... or should I use single weight in the rear and 75/90 in front and transfer ?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #234
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So in closing it is safe to use 75w90 all around... or should I use single weight in the rear and 75/90 in front and transfer ?
Which TRD you have? If you are 2005-2008 TRD Sport you have mechanical LSD so you have to add addtive for limited slipp.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Which TRD you have? If you are 2005-2008 TRD Sport you have mechanical LSD so you have to add addtive for limited slipp.
Reg TRD chrome bumbers no scoop

I'm going with the toyota book... 75/90 Front Diff and Transfer case
and 80w90 in the rear diff....
per tech sheet I added up the quarts.. Front 1.1 Transfer 1.6 rear 3.0

So I'll be buying 3 qts of each.. Now I need to order the 6 plug gaskets and 6 denso plugs and I''ll be set for my DIY 60 k service..

Thanks for all your help on here..
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #236
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yes it's safe to use 75W90 all around. If you tow or do a lot of burnouts , you can also spend a bit more and get 75W120 or 75W140 for the rear diff. The oil will be able to accommodate higher temps without breaking down.

I buy whatever brand that stinks the least. Lucas seems pretty good.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #237
randyg123 is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
randyg123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Yes it's safe to use 75W90 all around. If you tow or do a lot of burnouts , you can also spend a bit more and get 75W120 or 75W140 for the rear diff. The oil will be able to accommodate higher temps without breaking down.

I buy whatever brand that stinks the least. Lucas seems pretty good.
Based on earlier advice in this long, long post I used Royal Purple 75W-90 in all three.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #238
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Changed the transfer case and rear, the front- I got the fill plug off, the drain plug is too mangled. Gotta take it to a shop where they may weld something on to then get it off- sucks.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #240
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
subd