Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Diff and Transfer Case Oil Change Howto

Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #241
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Mike I just discovered that you can sub to a thread without posting in it....about 2000 posts ago
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #243
boto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really nice

Name: Philip
boto's Tacoma Gallery
where do you get your oil pump?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #244
Monster1 is on a distinguished road
Army: 11th Infantry (radio man)
Monster1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
Check to see if you have a Limited Slip before you use the additive. I have heard that only the Sport models have the LSD ... I may be wrong; look for the sticker on the rear.
I used the Mobil 1 in all 3 units.

Mine is a 2012 SR5 DC V6 that came equipped with the auto LSD
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #245
BryanWhiteTRD is on a distinguished road
BryanWhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #246
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #247
327 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
327's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the thread. I definitely need to do this... I have 120k and it's never been done.

And I live in south Louisiana and have driven through high flood water on numerous occasions.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #248
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytl View Post
115000 miles, first time changing front and transfer case oils, taking the plugs out should be fun
Were you able to remove the front diff drain plug bolt? Lol
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #251
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

Name: David
byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJB View Post

went to a local dealer and got replacement crush washers for all 6 plugs for $9.04. Apparently the young service tech did not put in a name for the quote so when he went to ring it up with another guy helping him it was like $30 but since he had already shown me it was $10, he said "It's your lucky day!" which was very nice. I hope he didn't get in trouble or have to pay the difference..

Here are the part numbers for the washers, i found them in the thread about changing rear diff, so I am just sharing the love in case you want to get them. I did notice the first part number item does get crushed nicely after use so it might be a good idea, but in the other thread people seem to be reusing them with no ill effects.

12157-10010 - Need 3 2 for rear diff and 1 for front diff fill plug. Invoice price $1.23
90430-18008 - Need 2 both for the T Case. Invoice price $1.51
90430-24003 - Need 1 for front diff drain plug. Invoice price $1.74 - Brass
$30

I paid $22.67 for all crush gaskets including the 2 for a 6 speed manual which is the same part number for the T-Case along with the union & breather plug for the rear diff mod. Not sure where that $30 price came from for the 6 gaskets he bought. Granted this was posted in 2011, I just bought all this about 2 weeks ago. Price for the gaskets have gone up a few pennies at most. You can see current price on my invoice.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Diff and Transfer Case Oil Change Howto-gaskets.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #252
Adub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shedAdub4real is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: corps of engineers
Name: Adam
Adub4real's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of brand new crush washers for front and rear diff. They are for a 05 trd double cab. I just bought a new 13 trd double cab. My fluid changes are covered for a long time. Free to good home, you pay shipping.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #253
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
subd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=897jlnmTYqE&N
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanWhiteTRD View Post
subd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYByo7KPnwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma831 View Post
subd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c-uFUbpH9w
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Mike I just discovered that you can sub to a thread without posting in it....about 2000 posts ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Exactly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Arc2KMVl4M
Heres how. ->

First- Click this -> Thread Tools - Now "Subscribe to this Thread"

Second -> Click Add Subscription

After clicking that, you will be redirected to this screen ->

And finally, the page will refresh and redirect you to the first page of the thread you just subscribed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmMNpbFjp0

FTMFW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kNMPbR1-M
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #254
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub4real View Post
I have a set of brand new crush washers for front and rear diff. They are for a 05 trd double cab. I just bought a new 13 trd double cab. My fluid changes are covered for a long time. Free to good home, you pay shipping.
Do you still have these are they the same for an 11
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #255
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
So what is some good brands of gear oils is everyone using? Is Mobil any good for diffs an transfer case I used the motor oil before its great I thought about using amsoil but its pricey an with a 30k change interval I actually have mobil one in my front diff since I did my front diff bearing at 25k
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #256
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil is fine, just fine.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #257
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
So in anticipation of servicing my diffs and TC, I've been rolling around on the creeper the past two days bathing each bolt in PB Blaster. Any other suggestions for getting these bolts out? Once they are out has anyone put anti seize on the threads to keep this from happening again? I live in the shittiest part of the country for rust and pretty much it's a constant battle to keep it in check.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #258
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my axles front and rear, and the transfer case change for the first time after 151,000 miles

Everything went like a charm thanks to this and the rear diff write-ups. Drain and fill plugs came right out like a charm (luckily I live in AZ and we don't rust much here). Fluids were all actually pretty clear considering their age, and the magnet on the front diff only had a little bit of metal on it. Had all 3 done in an hour and back on the road. She rolls smooth.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #259
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
So in anticipation of servicing my diffs and TC, I've been rolling around on the creeper the past two days bathing each bolt in PB Blaster. Any other suggestions for getting these bolts out? Once they are out has anyone put anti seize on the threads to keep this from happening again? I live in the shittiest part of the country for rust and pretty much it's a constant battle to keep it in check.
i put anti seize on everything