Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Diff and Transfer Case Oil Change Howto

Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #321
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
That's whats in the OP and what most of us use. I went with Mobil1 75w-90 in both diffs and transfer case.
Cool beans. Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #322
Taco trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Shannon
Taco trd's Tacoma Gallery
Have a 2013 TRD SPORT with the rear LSD. Do I need to add the LSD additive? Did they change rear ends after 2009?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #323
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco trd View Post
Have a 2013 TRD SPORT with the rear LSD. Do I need to add the LSD additive? Did they change rear ends after 2009?
You don't have the mechanical LSD, you don't need the additive.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #324
TacomaKTMSkidoo is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Valley Mills VFF
TacomaKTMSkidoo's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you guys get the hand pump?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #325
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaKTMSkidoo View Post
Any auto parts store should have them. Usually right next to the gear oil too.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #326
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaKTMSkidoo View Post
Snagged one at wally world. Haven't used it yet since I'm still waiting for my redline to arrive
Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #327
parallel60 is on a distinguished road
parallel60's Tacoma Gallery
Just did the rear diff and transfer case in my 07 4x4. Used 75W-90 for both.

Rear diff plugs were tough to get off but did eventually. Transfer case plugs were both really easy to get off and since I just bought the truck I wasn't sure how the fluid would be. Rear was fairly dirty but transfer looked brand new. I replaced anyways to make sure.

Now to tackle the Front! I have a skid plate but it is forward of the Front Diff so I have good access to it.

Thanks for the DIY on this, great info!

Mike
Old 02-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #328
adamh1977 is on a distinguished road

adamh1977's Tacoma Gallery
how much oil do you need for all of that
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #329
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh1977 View Post
how much oil do you need for all of that
Takes 6 quarts to do all 3. I think it's in the OP how much each takes.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #330
parallel60 is on a distinguished road
parallel60's Tacoma Gallery
AdamH,

What Boucher said.

Rear took just over 4.
Transfer just over 1.
Front to go!

I didn't use a pump for either. Just tilted the bottles and whatever I couldn't get out of each bottle I poured into new ones...not ideal but works.

As for the front, I think it might be too tight in there to do the "tilt the bottle method" I might have to get a pump.

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #331
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
SubD
Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #332

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel60 View Post
I didn't use a pump for either. Just tilted the bottles and whatever I couldn't get out of each bottle I poured into new ones...not ideal but works.

As for the front, I think it might be too tight in there to do the "tilt the bottle method" I might have to get a pump.

Mike
Never even thought to try dumping the oil in mine, I bet it was easier than the million pumps it probably took to fill all 3! Guess I'll try that next time.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #333
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Just knocked this off today.....Front and rear diffs, transfer case, engine oil and filter and lubed driveshaft. Thanks to the OP and all the contributors to this thread, great stuff!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #334
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, what are the part numbers for the crush washers for 2nd gen for rear + front diff and transfer case? I got them from some thread, can't find it now, 90430-18008(qty. 4), 12157-10010(qty. 3), and 90430-24003(qty. 1) ? are those right?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #336
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
What is the recommended fluid change interval for differentials and T-Case?? 30,000 miles or 30,000Kms...My dealer guy said I don't need it at 77000kms...they bugging??
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #338

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waheed View Post
What is the recommended fluid change interval for differentials and T-Case?? 30,000 miles or 30,000Kms...My dealer guy said I don't need it at 77000kms...they bugging??
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
I did mine at 30 & 60 - next one 90
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the change interval is 30,000 miles. Check your owners manual if you really want to know. I changed mine around 20k because I drove through some pretty deep water while off roading.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #339
Greycoma09 is on a distinguished road
Greycoma09's Tacoma Gallery
This is my first official post excluding my hello. Yesterday I change my F/R diff lube and xfer case lube. Switched both to Royal Purple 75w-90. Side note is that Advance Auto will price match. I told the guy that Amazon had it listed for $14.94, he typed that price into the Advance system and said we are good to go. Never hurts to ask. I hate to admit it but I waited until almost 80k before doing this. My truck is an 09 and has never been in the water or offloading. The front diff lube was pretty dark, but the xfer case oil looked like honey. The rear was not quite as dark as the front. Thanks for all the info that this site provides. As noted in my hello post I used to turn wrenches for a living, but that is getting further and further behind me(1991....gulp). Having a resource like this site is golden for those of us that don't work on cars/trucks all the time. Keep the great info coming. I have a couple of small tips for those changing front wheel bearings that i will post in a different thread.
Richard
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #340
Alright then
BCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCephus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Slingblade
BCephus's Tacoma Gallery
Gear lube fill rig

Hey guys. Just wanted to show a cheap, easy, disposable fill rig for your gear /manual trans oil fills. It works really well. You will need a 1/2" drill bit, 2 or 3 feet of 1/2" OD tubing, 2 cable ties, a ball inflation needle and pump, and something sharp to poke a small hole in your bottles. ***Disregard the copper hook and hose clamp. The sharpness of the fill hole threads will keep the tubing in place while filling*** Setup looks like this:

Amsoil tops are really big, so the hole size was no problem. Adapt tubing size as necessary. Punch a small hole above the fluid line in the bottle, and use hand pump to pressurize the bottle and drive the fluid out. I would be careful using a compressor for obvious reasons, not to mention the wife will go to that *ss if you ruin a load of laundry with a gear oil soaked shirt. Ready to go, it looks like this:

Some learning points that I frigged up the first time:

1) Clean fill and drain plugs really well the day before to eliminate foreign material issues.
2) As mentioned earlier, leave off the copper hook. 1/2" OD tubing will stay in on it's own.
3) Poke a very small hole in the bottle and force needle into it. You can empty the bottle with a very few pumps if you have no leakage at the needle. Maybe vise grips and tiny finishing nail. The awl that I used could make the hole too big if pushed too far in.
4) Don't use regular gear lube in the manual transmission...It shifted like crap when I did. Had to refill with Manual Transmission lube (GL-4). 30 or so extra bucks whizzed away, but it's okay now.
5) Use an empty bottle to put the fill hose in as you move between the diffs/transfer case.
6) Fits well in a gallon freezer bag if you want to reuse it.
7) Use two cable ties attached together under the cap so tubing leaves the bottle straight. Chop the hose on the bottle end at an angle and leave it plenty long to get all the way down into the corner of the bottle.
8) Transfer cap/hose to full bottle and punch when previous bottle empties.
9) Be prepared to pull needle out of the bottle when you think you are getting close to full to instantly depressurize the hose.

Good luck!