1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Diff and Transfer Case Oil Change Howto

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jspadaro, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Jul 26, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    You can drain and fill the same amount that comes out every 15,000 - mathematically it works out.

2. Jul 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    If I simply drain the fluid and refill it, will it be just as risky as a flush? Because I just bought 6 qts of Mobil ATF... and I don't want to flush if it will cost me my transmission. Is there a way to eliminate the problem and get that gunk out?

3. Jul 26, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The Limited Slip additive is needed for the 2005-2008 Sport TRDs. The rest of us with factory differentials don't have to have it, and it doesn't hurt anything if it is in it for our trucks.

Speed Freek replaced my transfer case and both differential fluids. All got Mobil One (with the LSD additive, even though my Taco has open differentials). 75-90 in the front diff and transfer case, and 75-140 in the rear. His logic was the rear is constantly working, and has the most load applied to it, so use the stronger fluid in the rear diff. That was 2 years and 27,000 miles ago... all is well.

4. Jul 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    The flushing forces ATF thru the trans and can force shite into the valves that's why it's not recommended if there is mileage on the trans and it was never done. If you just dump and fill there is no force and no problem but you are taking a % of old tired fluid out and putting a % of new fluid with new additives in. If you don't know the history of the truck I would do the dump and fill 2 be safe.

5. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I think I'll just have it done professionally so they can do the full process of putting in a new pan... as much as it pains me to not DIY.

I don't want to risk the transmission on my limited income.

6. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I'm a little confused - you ask for all kinds of advise and then U R going to pay someone to do it - why do you need a new pan ? I must have missed that one.

7. Jul 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well I have been researching and asking for advice because I wanted to give my truck a full tune up, including transmission flush. However, since my truck has gone 100,xxx miles and as far as I know, the transmission has never been maintenance, I'm afraid I could jack up my transmission if I flush it. When I was just about ready to do it myself, I learned about the metal shards that could harm the transmission. The advice not to do the flush was taken from Gadgets website. Unless I am mistaken (possible, I am not experienced with transmissions) I think the only way to service my transmission is to do a complete flush which includes the new pan and I'm assuming, removal of the dangerous shards. If I can get a shop to flush it and provide me with some sort of warranty/protection, I will let them do it because I cant do anything that may cause my transmission to fail.

Does that make more sense?

I have not been able to get a solid answer anywhere as to whether or not a simple fluid change would cause risk. My parents are advising me to just not touch the transmission at all and I'm not sure which path is the right one.

8. Jul 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Since you took the time to give such a lengthy answer I'll answer you - My wife has a Honda - they are bullet proof except for the trans this is what I do and why I do it - "The flushing forces ATF thru the trans and can force shite into the valves that's why it's not recommended if there is mileage on the trans and it was never done. If you just dump and fill there is no force and no problem but you are taking a % of old tired fluid out and putting a % of new fluid with new additives in. If you don't know the history of the truck I would do the dump and fill 2 be safe." My Tacoma is a stick and a 2.7 so I don't know about the Tacoma auto but if it has a drain plug you can drain it - if it has a dip stick you can fill it - if the drain plug has a magnet the magnet will attract the metal shavings and you just wipe them off - Again - if you don't know the history of the truck I would NOT DO OR HAVE A POWER FLUSH DONE PERIOD.

9. Jul 26, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well, thanks. After re-reading your previous posts I understand what you are suggesting- the manual flush, right? Where you disconnect the lines and let it all flow out, using about 12 qts? I guess I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "dump and fill"

Mine doesn't have a dipstick, just the fill plug. Thanks for the advice, I'll be doing the manual no-power flush. To be on the same page, this is the DIY we are talking about that is safe, correct?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/68462-diy-full-flush-automatic-transmission.html

If THIS is the one you are saying is safe, I will be performing this myself. Lastly, is there any way to get all of the detriment out? I know you side to wipe off the magnet but I mean all of it.

10. Jul 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    That looks like a excellent write up. I would leave myself plenty of time since U R a virgin on this. I have no experience with the Tacoma automatic. I just do the first few steps on my wife's Honda - drain plug out - 3 qts dumped - 3 new qts in. I never disconnect the trans lines so I have not advise on that. I don't have any suggestion on "detriment" This is what I do. http://www.diymyhonda.com/accord/atf-drain-and-fill/
    I just do it more often.

11. Jul 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    yeah I just did my wifes honda civic trans fluid a bit ago. drained it and filled 2.25 qt out/in

12. Jul 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I do it every 15,000 or so - just did it at 57,744

13. Jul 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    Chopper678

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ah, see, I did misunderstand you. By dump you meant a 3qt oil change, not a manual no-power flush. Gotcha.
    Sorry for seeming to neglect your advice, its just the more my parents tell me not to touch it the less confident I am that I won't destroy it.

14. Jul 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Wow 15,000 they only call for it every 30,000.

15. Jul 27, 2014 at 4:13 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Sent you a PM - didn't think I should have a full Honda Trans discussion on TW.

16. Jul 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    My front was pretty black at 20,000. If you regularly drive through water like in your sig pic, I'd change it more often than 30,000.

17. Jul 27, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    I changed all of mine yesterday at 30,400and honestly they were all pretty clean. Almost clear with a slight color, I was very surprised.
    But I changed them anyway and will actually prob go longer between intervals.

18. Jul 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    That's cool. Like I said, my front was pretty nasty at 20k, not sure why. The other 2 were still like new though. It's relatively cheap, not sure I'd push the intervals too much. New differentials would cost a lost more.

19. Jul 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    Changed all of mine at 32k. Front and rear were nasty, but the t case looked like brand new oil. Is that normal? I would have thought the t case would have been a little dirty.

20. Jul 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    H0RTEN

H0RTEN Master Chief Petty Officer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Clutch-City
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    Just don't forget to tighten up that screw, I know all about that...

To Top