Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Difference

Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
RBaptist is on a distinguished road
RBaptist's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Difference

Haven't seen this before and I am still learning the ropes with my truck, but what are the parts required to convert a non-TRD to a TRD truck? I have a 2007 Access Cab Prerunner SR5. It's a 4 cyl.

From what I have been able to find...I would need:
Fogs - In Progress
Bilstein Shocks - Already done
?
?

Thank you!!
Robert
Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
You're better off just upgrading the parts you need upgraded rather than buying the stuff to "make" it a TRD.

What do you use your truck for, and how much are you willing to spend on it? Once you answer those two questions, we can tell you how to best spend your money.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
rear locker
4.0L V6
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Well,
I just got the thing a month or so ago and I would like to do some light off-roading up in N. Georgia for Camping, Fishing, and hauling bikes and an occasional canoe. Mind you that this is a 4cyl with a 5 speed.....so I already know that I am not going to be winning any Trail awards I must say that the thing does do pretty well for a 4cyl. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I took it to the base of the Appalachian trail a couple of weeks ago. We took it up some good inclines on dirt trails and it did fine. Of course the locking diff would be nice as well as Hill Assist, etc....but for what I do...it works.

Just wanted to see if there was anythng worth adding to it from the TRD Package. I've been looking at adding the 115V bed socket, but I will just buy a good inverter and run a line in the cab and in the bed. Fogs are on order from a parts yard out in CA. I got stock ones for 75 each. A bit pricey, but I didn't want to worry about fit and quality. Switch is coming from Ebay.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Stickers
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Stickers add HP.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstines
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
09tacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
09tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i thought the hill assist was for auto trans only. but i could be wrong and probably am
Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
bcmedic will become famous soon enoughbcmedic will become famous soon enough
bcmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacoma View Post
i thought the hill assist was for auto trans only. but i could be wrong and probably am

i think hill start assist works on manual as well. i think its the downhill assist that doesnt work on 6spd manuals
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
09-18-2008 07:38 PM aww1970 Stickers
Thanks .... I'll take the 100HP kind!

Before you laugh too much though..remember that Toyota DOES make a good 4X4 4cyl.....too bad mine is not one of them. But it IS a Prerunner. At least it's not a Ranger!

As for the post:
I think I'll do the following:
Fogs (Done)
Bilstines (Done)
TRD Seat Covers
TRD Exhaust Tip
115V (1000 W inverter)
Skid Plate
And yes......I'll put on the stickers
Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #12
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Stickers add HP.

What stickers can I get to add HP to my TRD Sport...?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
Sticks For Troops
AFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shedAFButters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: (T2T2X1)Air Transportation Technical Training Instructor
Name: "Butters"
AFButters's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome.. Im gonna order two of each..
Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #14
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Stickers add HP.
Stickers are for plastic model cars.
Tacomas deserve real paint.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
to do any amount of offroading, you're going to need to upgrade your open diff. A limited slip is better than nothing, but a locker is your best option. I'd also look into upgrading your tires.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #16
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
I am in the same boat, but I don't care about stickers and exhaust tips (sorry). If anything I will go with exhaust, intake, Bilsteins, and the wheels and tires from the off-road package. Just mild but certainly more capable than base. It is just a 4 cylinder but you can certainly make it as close to capable as the TRD. I want to maintain decent road manners while making it "trailable." The regular cab does boast the best ground clearance and breakover.

But if you are gonna start the snowball:
V8
Lockers
Serious lift with serious treads
Et cetera...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmedic View Post
i think hill start assist works on manual as well. i think its the downhill assist that doesnt work on 6spd manuals
Nope, they're both only available on automatics
Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
You might look into a V6 !
Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
after reading this post I am questioning weather or not my truck is actually a TRD. it has the stickers but non of the features yall are talking about on here
Is there a way to find out for sure, i.e. vin number or something along those lines that I could check?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
does it have a locker or LSD? Does it have a electrical outlet in the bed? Do the seats have a little extra protrusion to offer some thigh support? Compass/Temp gauge in the overhead console?